GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 09:01 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 756 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyjh63
So what is the quickest, easiest way to do a simple drain and fill on a 2012 GX? I figure to do a drain and fill, drive for ten minutes, then repeat twice. Thanks!
Tony
Simply follow the steps as outlined in this thread. You don't even have to drive the vehicle, just run it through the gears.
The following users liked this post:
tonyjh63 (08-23-20)
Old 08-24-20, 08:46 AM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

DO IT YOURSELF.

There are so many videos and links online that make it so simple.

Drain and fills only.

Your choice of ATF, but there are a few products that are far superior to the Toyota WS fluid. Your choice !!!
Old 08-24-20, 10:38 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

So I spoke to both Duggy's garage and J&T Automotive this morning and I got mixed responses from them. J&T said they would take a sample of the trans fluid and let me know if they think it needs to be changed and that they would do a complete flush and replace if they deemed it necessary. When I asked about the safety of a Flush and Replace the tech cited that he did it at 200,000 miles with his Tacoma and it ran perfectly fine and additionally he said that generally Toyotas and Lexus' do not have an issue with high mileage flush and replaces. Duggy's said they would do 3 drain and fills and both said they would not change the filter. Both quoted me 250$. Any opinions on which one I should pursue?
Old 08-24-20, 05:07 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 616 Likes on 371 Posts

I'd do the drain and fills with Toyota WS. Lowest risk option... but I manage risk for a living in the RAMS world so my tolerance is lower than most... no point spending $250 to possible cause $4k in damage if its flushed and screws up the tranny or TC. Albeit rare but still.. ya dont change the oil with the engine running (at pressure) so my mind tells me not to change the transmission with it running (at least the pump) at pressure. But totally your call.
Old 08-24-20, 05:13 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

The easiest way is to get a container with measuring marks. Drain out and measure, then put back in exactly the same amount. Drive for a bit, drain out again, measure and put back exactly the same again. Do this a couple of times.

Originally Posted by tonyjh63
So what is the quickest, easiest way to do a simple drain and fill on a 2012 GX? I figure to do a drain and fill, drive for ten minutes, then repeat twice. Thanks!
Tony
tonyjh63 (08-24-20)
Old 08-25-20, 10:54 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 756 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by Ab175
So I spoke to both Duggy's garage and J&T Automotive this morning and I got mixed responses from them. J&T said they would take a sample of the trans fluid and let me know if they think it needs to be changed and that they would do a complete flush and replace if they deemed it necessary. When I asked about the safety of a Flush and Replace the tech cited that he did it at 200,000 miles with his Tacoma and it ran perfectly fine and additionally he said that generally Toyotas and Lexus' do not have an issue with high mileage flush and replaces. Duggy's said they would do 3 drain and fills and both said they would not change the filter. Both quoted me 250$. Any opinions on which one I should pursue?
Neither. You don't need a sample of fluid, your fluid is old and it should be changed. Period. You'll hear a lot of opinions about flushing and plenty of people have had good experiences with it. Would you? Possibly. But, if you follow the procedure as outlined in this thread, you shouldn't have any problems at all. Plenty of us have done THIS PROCEDURE without issues, including the filter change. I would argue that if you're going to do all this work, then getting the filter changed also should be mandatory and I wouldn't do this service at your mileage without getting the filter done also.

Try https://toyos-limited.business.site/ and also try Clearchoice either on 59 or in the Woodlands. Don't ask for their opinion, tell them exactly what you want... what is outlined in this thread. Numerous drain and fills with Toyota WS and new washers as well as a filter and gasket on the last drain and fill.
Acrad (08-25-20)
Old 09-13-20, 05:20 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

A750F video (basically the same as the A760F but only 5 speed)shows you pan drop to replace filter, fluid level trickle, and some magnet tips. I'd still feel more comfortable using OBD app or TS for AT temps though.

Old 09-14-20, 10:25 PM
angrygx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

instead of a drain and fill I remember about 10years ago there was a transmission oil changing machine at a local shop (I forgot the name of the machine).
Where if you bring lets say 5 to 10 quarts of oil the machine will suck x quarts of old oil and replace it with the x amount of new oil.

anyone know what this process is called?
and would you recommend it this way?
Old 09-15-20, 05:56 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 616 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by angrygx
instead of a drain and fill I remember about 10years ago there was a transmission oil changing machine at a local shop (I forgot the name of the machine).
Where if you bring lets say 5 to 10 quarts of oil the machine will suck x quarts of old oil and replace it with the x amount of new oil.

anyone know what this process is called?
and would you recommend it this way?
fairly certain you're talking about this: https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/trans...change-system/
it's not a Lexus specific machine and has been discussed within this thread... it's a flush of the system, not a drain and fill.
Old 09-15-20, 11:53 AM
angrygx
Driver

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
fairly certain you're talking about this: https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/trans...change-system/
it's not a Lexus specific machine and has been discussed within this thread... it's a flush of the system, not a drain and fill.
yes indeed it was something like this.

I've read through most of the post but I don't get why you can't just drain x amount by the drain hole from the pan and just fill in x amount back into the fill hole.? why the need for certain temperature? as long as same fluids are used.

sorry I am new to the Gx.

Old 09-15-20, 01:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I would at least initially confirm transmission is not overfilled/under-filled using the temperature check method. One could probably get away with subsequent drain and fills if you were certain the refill fluid was roughly the same temperature as that in the transmission. AT fluid expands as it is heated. Personally I like the fact I can overfill a bit on a drain and refill... getting even a little bit more out ....and then easily drain it off to the full level.

nuclearn8 (09-15-20)
Old 09-15-20, 02:53 PM
flighht2k5
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has 130000 on it. Im going to have the dealer change the fluid this weekend. Should I have the change the filter as well?
Old 09-15-20, 03:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I would if they will do it. It sounds like some Lexus dealers won't drop the pan though.
Old 09-15-20, 03:50 PM
angrygx
Driver

Originally Posted by Acrad
I would at least initially confirm transmission is not overfilled/under-filled using the temperature check method. One could probably get away with subsequent drain and fills if you were certain the refill fluid was roughly the same temperature as that in the transmission. AT fluid expands as it is heated. Personally I like the fact I can overfill a bit on a drain and refill... getting even a little bit more out ....and then easily drain it off to the full level.
oh ok now I understood "due to expansion" it can sometimes be inaccurate. ( I am not trying to make a point or argue) But are the expansions that great? as to if you were draining 4 quarts of hot oil and put in same 4 cold quarts you may end up overfill ingredients by 1/2 or more quarts? or would they be negligible?
just curious thx!
Old 09-15-20, 04:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

This would be far more helpful if background music wasn't present. I think 1/2 quart could occur. I really don't know tolerance of the A760F as to what is too much or too little. IMO: If you work on your 460 you are going to want a working install of TS or something like OBD Fusion/Link anyway to read codes as general purpose OBD readers won't get you very far. These latter options will get you temps for carefree AT fluid change. Just my $0.02.

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
angrygx (09-15-20), nuclearn8 (09-15-20)

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change