GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 04:55 PM
angrygx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
This would be far more helpful if background music wasn't present. I think 1/2 quart could occur. I really don't know tolerance of the A760F as to what is too much or too little. IMO: If you work on your 460 you are going to want a working install of TS or something like OBD Fusion/Link anyway to read codes as general purpose OBD readers won't get you very far. These latter options will get you temps for carefree AT fluid change. Just my $0.02.

https://youtu.be/9NYYSvNVGT4
thank you for the video. I got it now!!!
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (09-17-20)
Old 09-16-20, 02:13 PM
TXGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my fluid replaced by my the Lexus dealership in Plano, TX. They don't flush it completely, but the invoice states 7.7 quarts replaced. I did it once at 90K miles, and have continued to do it every 30K miles. I'm at 230K right now. The cost has been $140 every time. Cheap insurance IMO.
The following 4 users liked this post by TXGSF:
Acrad (09-17-20), Lavrishevo (09-16-20), LokiGx (10-23-21), nuclearn8 (09-16-20)
Old 09-17-20, 07:10 PM
JoshDrivin
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Closing in on 100k miles and looking to see what others are doing. Trip to two Lexus dealers to inquire about a flush/filter service and both have adamantly stated to not flush at this high a mileage. One tech advisor went on to stay that in his thirteen years at the dealership, he has yet to see one fail.

I have had transmissions refurbished on other Toyota/Lexus products to be proactive, and because they were in extreme off-road competition scenarios in jungle conditions where they saw abusive use.

I'm personally not feeling that "gotta change the fluid just in case" sentiment. I believe the robustness of these vehicles, coupled with the light use they typically see, amount to many years/miles of rolling around the planet with legendary Toyota reliability. YMMV.
Old 09-17-20, 07:22 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Unfortunately, without an external air AT cooler these transmissions run hot. I've yet to see anyone change fluid in their A760F that wasn't dark fluid even with 25k miles. I'm curious to see how much better my fluid condition is after installing the OEM external AT cooler. Mine was quite dark with 50-60k miles. They can fail.... extremely rare but nothing is completely bulletproof. I've probably heard a dozen stories among various forums or FB GXOR. Even the owner's manual states 60k miles if you tow or carry heavy loads. I did 4 drain and refills... it is pretty easy really if you use something to monitor temp and do some of your own maintenance. Just my $.02.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
JoshDrivin (09-18-20), nuclearn8 (09-18-20)
Old 09-17-20, 09:00 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Arcad,

Are you running Amsoil in the tranny ?

I won't have 25k on my fluid for a while, but running Amsoil ATF in both of my GXs.
Old 09-17-20, 09:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I'm just running Toyota WS. I was a little hesitant to mix fluids but if you plan to essentially replace all the fluid you should be fine. Replacement fluids are always a hot topic for debate :-)

A few pics from here of pan, filter and valve body

Last edited by Acrad; 09-27-20 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 08:50 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 756 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshDrivin
I'm personally not feeling that "gotta change the fluid just in case" sentiment. I believe the robustness of these vehicles, coupled with the light use they typically see, amount to many years/miles of rolling around the planet with legendary Toyota reliability. YMMV.
Yeah, most of us probably fall in the light usage category, even still, my fluid was DARK when I did it. Would it have been fine? Probably. But for the price of a case of fluid, new washers, a filter, a gasket, and the Motive fluid device, I got some great peace of mind going forward. No one should be flushing their transmission, certainly not at 100k or higher but a drain and fill is so easy, why not do it? I believe in the robustness too, and simple maintenance will certainly be beneficial in my mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by Romanova:
Acrad (09-18-20), JoshDrivin (09-18-20)
Old 11-21-20, 09:17 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How long??
Old 11-21-20, 10:58 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Alright, so this one has slipped through the cracks as the past few months have been crazy busy. I am nearing 140,000 miles (138ish atm) and I am planning on having the transmission drain and filled 3 times at duggy's garage this coming week. The fluid has never been changed so I am a little concerned about if it's a good idea to do it now but I have been going back and forth for a long time now and just getting it done for peace of mind seems like the right move. The only thing that concerns me is that they said they wouldn't change the filter. Is this a real issue? If I was just gonna use the GX for highway cruising like it has been for most of its life up to this point I would probably just leave it alone but I am planning on doing some light to medium difficulty off-roading in the future and I want to make sure the vehicle has the best chance of lasting under these harder conditions. Any responses are much appreciated!
Old 11-21-20, 11:14 AM
litespeed5
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

I did my first transmission fluid change at 135k miles. First, I drain and fill the pan. Then connected 10mm hose to return line and drain/fill 1.7L 3 times. Took the car for a drive and drain and fill the pan again. Then opened the overflow at 115F. The job took me 3 hours and 11.7 quarts of Toyota WS fluid. The car shifts smoother. The fluid that came out was black.
The following 3 users liked this post by litespeed5:
Ab175 (11-21-20), ninja250 (11-21-20), WRD4chano (11-21-20)
Old 11-21-20, 11:23 AM
ninja250
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ab175
Alright, so this one has slipped through the cracks as the past few months have been crazy busy. I am nearing 140,000 miles (138ish atm) and I am planning on having the transmission drain and filled 3 times at duggy's garage this coming week. The fluid has never been changed so I am a little concerned about if it's a good idea to do it now but I have been going back and forth for a long time now and just getting it done for peace of mind seems like the right move. The only thing that concerns me is that they said they wouldn't change the filter. Is this a real issue? If I was just gonna use the GX for highway cruising like it has been for most of its life up to this point I would probably just leave it alone but I am planning on doing some light to medium difficulty off-roading in the future and I want to make sure the vehicle has the best chance of lasting under these harder conditions. Any responses are much appreciated!
I think someoneon this forum already discussed the 'filter', which is not a real filter but a strainer, so not really a point of changing it. I have done the tranny fluid drain and refill three times at 95k and did not venture into filter changing. I did always filter change on my BMWs, but it comes with the new plastic (!!!!) tranny pan, so no additional effort, you just throw away the old pan and install the new one.
Old 11-21-20, 01:16 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ninja250
I think someoneon this forum already discussed the 'filter', which is not a real filter but a strainer, so not really a point of changing it. I have done the tranny fluid drain and refill three times at 95k and did not venture into filter changing. I did always filter change on my BMWs, but it comes with the new plastic (!!!!) tranny pan, so no additional effort, you just throw away the old pan and install the new one.
did you notice it shifting smoother? mine likes to lurch into whatever gear it picks when pulling away from a cold start, once its warm, nothing. just smooth.
Old 11-21-20, 01:25 PM
ninja250
Rookie

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
did you notice it shifting smoother? mine likes to lurch into whatever gear it picks when pulling away from a cold start, once its warm, nothing. just smooth.
It is smoother. it is subtle, not a huge difference, but you can note

. but the color of the fluid was burnt, and i never ever towed anything.

The Gx has the tendency to 'jump' from a stop when the accelerator is pressed and I hate that 'feature'.
WRD4chano (11-21-20)
Old 11-22-20, 09:52 AM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

The Genuine Toyota WS fluid is NOT a full synthetic fluid.

As Acrad stated above, these transmissions do run on the warmer side and some ATF fluid cannot deal with the higher temps.

I'm not a dealer for Amsoil, but if you really want the best ATF, use the Signature Series Blue or Red cap fluid. Toyota WS is a fluid to get the car to the end of the warranty.

LeX2K (11-22-20)
Old 11-22-20, 11:04 AM
ninja250
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusGXFan
The Genuine Toyota WS fluid is NOT a full synthetic fluid.

As Acrad stated above, these transmissions do run on the warmer side and some ATF fluid cannot deal with the higher temps.

I'm not a dealer for Amsoil, but if you really want the best ATF, use the Signature Series Blue or Red cap fluid. Toyota WS is a fluid to get the car to the end of the warranty.
Good to know! I am running Redline now in all the cars, Lexus and BMWs.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change