GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 02:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

If you are doing it via drain/fill it will take about 15 liters to replace almost all the fluid. A more sensible method I like to use is initially do 3 drain/fills then after that 1 every oil change until I'm satisfied.
Old 06-20-23, 06:20 PM
mike202
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by m5rahul
Curious, haven't read the entire thread, but how much ATF should I order for a full drain/fill or exchange ?
You will need five quarts. I used a home depot five quart pail to measure what was drained and it was a bit over four quarts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-5-qt...5024/300225941
Old 06-23-23, 12:58 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
If you are doing it via drain/fill it will take about 15 liters to replace almost all the fluid. A more sensible method I like to use is initially do 3 drain/fills then after that 1 every oil change until I'm satisfied.
Originally Posted by mike202
You will need five quarts. I used a home depot five quart pail to measure what was drained and it was a bit over four quarts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-5-qt...5024/300225941
That's a significant discrepancy
Old 06-23-23, 01:08 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,071 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by m5rahul
That's a significant discrepancy
Agree per the description. Each drain is limited to the fluid volume in the transmission pan ... about 3-odd quarts ... much stays in the torque converter and transmission valve passages ... hence the need for multiple drain(s) ... so with repeat transmission pan drains, the new fluid is mixed with the old ... until the mixed fluid is mostly refreshed if one is so motivated. Many just do 2-3 drain and refills on a regular basis. The 15-quart reference is if one wants to get close to a complete new fluid refresh in one session ... but again, this requires repeat 3-odd quart transmission pan drains and refills to accomplish ... obviously mixing the fluid between drains.

Last edited by ASE; 06-23-23 at 01:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
John00 (06-23-23), m5rahul (07-04-23)
Old 06-23-23, 01:27 PM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

i think the wording. it reads full drain/fill. i dont know if ive ever seen it like that. ive usually seen drain/fill or full, and those 2 would take differing quantities.
Old 07-01-23, 05:10 AM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Drain & Fill Done Correctly?

Was doing some routine maintenance (prefer to than bringing for service) on my ‘23 (I drive a lot) and decided to check the fluid in the pan. was surprised to see that under 50k miles the fluid was starting to brown, barely any red, so I drained it. I left the fluid in a pan over night to cool off, came back the next day and measured a little over 2.5 quarts. Used a hand pump to transfer that exact amount(Toyota AWS) back into the fill plug.
Started the engine, let it warm up, shifted into all the drive modes & gears multiple times.

Now this could be all in my head, but a couple days later I think I’m noticing my upshifts to be a little more noticeable than they were, which is making me feel like I should add maybe a half a quart more or something? Anyone have experience or advice on this? Might be worth nothing, I also switched my engine oil to Amsoil Sig 0-W20, and my air filter to a K&N during the service. Throttle seems peppier after this.
Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by AlexDev; 07-01-23 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-01-23, 06:00 AM
mike202
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 89 Posts

2.5 quarts sounds low, IIRC the capacity is closer to 4 quarts. Also there is a dedicated procedure to correctly fill the so-called sealed transmission. Many videos are our there, here is one.

Personally, I would stick with the OEM air filter, but that debate is never ending
Old 07-01-23, 06:15 AM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mike202
2.5 quarts sounds low, IIRC the capacity is closer to 4 quarts. Also there is a dedicated procedure to correctly fill the so-called sealed transmission.
Thanks for your response. I thought the amount I got out of the pan was rather low, but I also did not have the truck level, was jacked up on one side of the frame, which might be why. My main hang up was getting what I got out, and making sure all temps were the same.

Last edited by AlexDev; 07-01-23 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-01-23, 07:50 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AlexDev
Thanks for your response. I thought the amount I got out of the pan was rather low, but I also did not have the truck level, was jacked up on one side of the frame, which might be why. My main hang up was getting what I got out, and making sure all temps were the same.
Yes ... the truck needs to be level for maximum drainage ... and to ultimately (more importantly) use the transmission pan overflow drain to finalize the fluid level. I drive the front-end up on ramps ... then use a floor jack under the rear differential to lift to level, and place jack-stands under the rear frame or axle tubes.
Old 07-01-23, 03:57 PM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
Yes ... the truck needs to be level for maximum drainage ... and to ultimately (more importantly) use the transmission pan overflow drain to finalize the fluid level. I drive the front-end up on ramps ... then use a floor jack under the rear differential to lift to level, and place jack-stands under the rear frame or axle tubes.
So I added a near half quart more to the tranny, seemed to make a difference in my eyes. Shifts much less noticeable, was probably off a smidge. Just bought a 2nd pair of ramps for next time I’m under the car as well. Much easier than a jack imo.
Old 07-01-23, 03:59 PM
ASE
Pole Position

So I added a near half quart more to the tranny, seemed to make a difference in my eyes. Shifts much less noticeable, was probably off a smidge. Just bought a 2nd pair of ramps for next time I’m under the car as well. Much easier than a jack imo.
Yes, add about a 1/2 quart more ... and use the level drain plug at full fluid temperature to drain off any excess to a perfect fill level ... with the vehicle level.
Old 07-01-23, 04:06 PM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
Yes, add about a 1/2 quart more ... and use the level drain plug at full fluid temperature to drain off any excess to a perfect fill level ... with the vehicle level.
Gonna head to a buddy who’s got a high-end scan tool and do that in the next day or so.

Also question, can driving on these trannys .5 to 1 quart under or over for a couple days cause anything significant?
Old 07-01-23, 04:45 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Gonna head to a buddy who’s got a high-end scan tool and do that in the next day or so.

Also question, can driving on these trannys .5 to 1 quart under or over for a couple days cause anything significant?
Don't need a Scan Tool ... use an infrared temperature gun on the transmission pan ... close enough.
Old 07-01-23, 05:39 PM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
Don't need a Scan Tool ... use an infrared temperature gun on the transmission pan ... close enough.
I did one better; ordered an OBDLink MX+ to arrive overnight. Always needed a solid scanner regardless, esp for my 01 Tundra. Plan on doing in the morning. Last question; what is the socket/key needed for the overflow check plug?
Old 07-09-23, 10:19 AM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Alright so just want to add for anyone who has, or will experience this. So after my first drain & fill a week or so ago, I noticed shifts were a little more noticeable and not as seamless as I’m accustomed to. So today I put the truck back on the ramps, waited for temps to hit 115-126 range, and opened the check valve and drained out about 1/3 of a quart more. Got her back on the road, and happy to say MUCH smoother.
I’m guessing my overcautious self wanted a little extra as opposed to the contrary, and all it did was raise my anxiety for a week lol. A word of advice; you’ll hear the “trickle” word as the point of capping the check valve up, which is correct, but take it literally to the point of where the fluid stream goes from barely flowing, to actually beginning to turn into drops.
Cheers.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change