Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

I put mine up (4) 12K lb Rhino ramps
Old 04-03-24, 06:41 PM
mtnco
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I use ramps when I can for car maintenance (because so easy) but for this I used 4 jack-stands as it allowed me to compensate for my leaning driveway and get the GX pretty darn level.

Just a few weekends ago I did my first pan drop/clean, filter change, 12qt. flush (via trans warmer), and trans cooler install.
2016 Lux w/ 120k.
The old ATF was dark but obviously still red, didn’t seem burned, and magnets had just a little metal fuzz on them. Oil pan cleaned up very nicely.
The following users liked this post:
JeffS520 (04-03-24)
Old 04-03-24, 09:03 PM
gx460z2011
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnco
Just a few weekends ago I did my first pan drop/clean, filter change, 12qt. flush (via trans warmer), and trans cooler install.
2016 Lux w/ 120k.
The old ATF was dark but obviously still red, didn’t seem burned, and magnets had just a little metal fuzz on them. Oil pan cleaned up very nicely.
Strong work!! That's my go-to procedure as well. Do you know if that's the first full fluid change for your car?
The following users liked this post:
tomscnj (04-18-24)
Old 04-04-24, 11:02 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gx460z2011
FWIW I really don't think this fluid change requires a lift. You can jack up the front of the car only for the actual drain/fill/exchange work and place the vehicle on the ground for the final level check, or put the vehicle on 4 ramps / jack stands.

I worked on two jack stands and then placed the car back on the ground for the final fluid check.
Putting up front on stands will drains double the “usual/level” amount, to 4-5qts - very helpful!!
Old 04-04-24, 11:26 AM
mtnco
8th Gear

Originally Posted by gx460z2011
Strong work!! That's my go-to procedure as well. Do you know if that's the first full fluid change for your car?
Prior to me, no indication of trans fluid drain or flush. Single owner, all major service done at a single Lexus dealership.

However, right after I purchased it, I had the 120k severe service performed at a Lexus dealer (118k at the time) and they did a drain and fill. Charged me for 4 qt. of WS, so I assume ~3.5 qt. of fresh WS made it in there.
(After this, I went deep down into the rabbit hole of CL and Mud and decided on a full DIY pan drop, filter, flush, and cooler.)

Not sure what the true condition of the ATF was prior the 118k drain and fill but I'm assuming if it was torched, I'd have seen some good evidence in what I flushed out.

Unless I start towing a bunch, I think I'll skip the pan drop and filter replace for another 120k and just do drain and fills every 30k or full flushes every 60k. The full pan drop and filter change is not hard but time consuming and messy (snugging and torquing all 20 pan screws was annoying!) and based on what I saw in there, I'm not all that worried.
Old 04-04-24, 11:31 AM
mtnco
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Leander311
Putting up front on stands will drains double the “usual/level” amount, to 4-5qts - very helpful!!
That's more than I would've thought. Just over 5 qt. is what ended up coming out from the drain, pan drop, and filter removal, and quite a lot was still in both the pan and the filter.
UPDATE: Looking back through my notes, just over 3 qt. came out from the drain plug with the GX level, and another 2 qt. came from the pan and filter.
Seems like the tilt 'n drain method has some merit!

Last edited by mtnco; 04-04-24 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 05-27-24, 08:40 PM
ahmerx
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a quick update: The original complete transmission oil (WS) was exchanged at 100k. Now at 130k , I did a complete tranny oil exchange again using my method in post 451 switching from WS to Amsoil Fuel Efficient Signature series (emotional decision as I am paranoid about tranny issues recently showing up in forums). I can tell that the color of the WS removed after 30k in service was marginally redder/clear than oil with 100k service so does not look like just the color is the best indicator for degradation. I am not sure how well the Amsoil will hold, but so far I have not seen any ill effects on shifting using Amsoil. I think will change again after next 50k.
Old 06-03-24, 05:35 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ahmerx
Just a quick update: The original complete transmission oil (WS) was exchanged at 100k. Now at 130k , I did a complete tranny oil exchange again using my method in post 451 switching from WS to Amsoil Fuel Efficient Signature series (emotional decision as I am paranoid about tranny issues recently showing up in forums). I can tell that the color of the WS removed after 30k in service was marginally redder/clear than oil with 100k service so does not look like just the color is the best indicator for degradation. I am not sure how well the Amsoil will hold, but so far I have not seen any ill effects on shifting using Amsoil. I think will change again after next 50k.
you probably already know this but changing 3-4 qts at a time is recommended, not changing all of the fluid at one time.. this is due to the nature of how a trans works. Whatever. People do whatever.
Old 06-03-24, 06:30 AM
ahmerx
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KawiLex
you probably already know this but changing 3-4 qts at a time is recommended, not changing all of the fluid at one time.. this is due to the nature of how a trans works. Whatever. People do whatever.
'Recommendation' is very arbitrary here. Drain and fill is easier and most people can do that easily over the course of multiple oil changes, while eliminating wear material in a long time. With only 3 to 4 qts fluid replaced you still have a larger quantity of wear materials continue to circulate along with rest of the degraded oil which is also contaminating the new oil that you just put in. However it is definitely recommended, as it is way better than doing nothing on this sensitive tranny.
With complete fluid exchange (this is not a flush through some machine) you eliminate most if not all wear metals and have 💯 new fluid. The procedure here is much more complicated and not every one is up for it. It is definitely much better than drain and fill in my opinion as you have no degraded oil mixed with new oil and all wear metals are mostly removed.
However if the tranny is completely neglected and severely worn and portion of friction is relied upon due to fluid velocity increase from wear of both oil and contaminants than I agree this full exchange will not give you the additional miles from the tranny that you may get by just drain and fills.
Bottom line is there is no wrong answer with either approach. If tranny fails after full exchange, it not the exchange,it's the tranny that had been worn and neglected.
The following 3 users liked this post by ahmerx:
JeffS520 (06-03-24), kgbagent1 (07-02-24), mtnco (06-03-24)
Old 07-01-24, 11:43 AM
GXHutto
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How long is a lifetime...

I have a 2013 GX460 that seems to work great. It just hit 230,000 miles of Texas driving. The seats aren't even cracked. it is the far superior F-Sport version, with the special wheels, black grille, tailpipe tip, and floormats, so it it a little elite. (kidding). I'm a little ignorant and a little lazy. Changing or flushing or filling is far outside my abilities and tools. My Lexus dealer, and my independent land rover mechanic, both of whom I trust as much as any mechanic, say to let it go as far as possible. So I'm going to test the theory that it is lifetime fluid. I'm in my 60's and I plan to keep it in the family for my life and the car's life. So, let's take that ride of a life.

I like this explanation and it validates my decision. May be wrong, but I sleep at night, more or less.

Since this discussion will never end, and everyone is right, I just think it is a little fun to add my own warped ideas to the pot. It is a fine pot.
Have a great day all you GXer's.