GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transfer case issues/problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 10:50 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

I have an acquaintance who's Lexus needed the control arms to be replaced and it was just out of warranty. Lexus ended up covering a good chunk of the repair as it is obvious that the problem existed before the warranty expired it was just not noticed or deliberately ignored by the service technician.

I would definitely contact them BEFORE you perform the repair and ask for goodwill consideration! The leak was obviously there before your warranty ran out.
Old 08-25-17, 05:01 AM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great outcome on this. Lexus took care of the whole thing plus a loaner car. The Warranty expired 5K ago at 75 K, but Lindsay Lexus stepped up.
That's customer service folks!
Old 08-25-17, 07:05 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

That's great news! Was this the same dealer that wanted $900 or a different one? Did you have to talk to anyone higher up?
Way to step up Lexus.
Old 08-25-17, 08:13 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by SpokeBroke
Great outcome on this. Lexus took care of the whole thing plus a loaner car. The Warranty expired 5K ago at 75 K, but Lindsay Lexus stepped up.
That's customer service folks!
That is what I call SERVICE. Good for you and good for Lexus.
Old 08-25-17, 08:34 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

Nice. How does that work, does the dealer absorb all cost or does Lexus corp. pay for some or all of it? Did you buy the truck from this dealer?
Old 08-26-17, 07:49 AM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it was at the same dealer, where I always service the vehicle. I authorized the repair, but asked my service adviser to check with Lexus if there was an accommodation that could be made. When he called to tell me it was ready, he said that Lexus made the accommodation, and is covering the bill. It was washed and ready for me when I got there. Nice!!
Old 08-26-17, 08:14 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That is awesome Customer Service. You would never see that from Ford. I know first hand....

I have had similar experience as SpokeBroke with Lexus on a service issue and have also had them trade out a RX350 that had leaking issues that they couldn't resolve. That's why I keep going back to Lexus
Old 08-26-17, 09:46 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I have had excellent customer service from my local Lexus dealer and they do take care of their customers.
Old 08-16-18, 12:02 PM
brian4l
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 4LO Light Only Flashing

Truck had sat for 3 days, fired it up pulled off and the 4LO started flashing. It continued to flash for 5 minutes and stopped. I have not had any work done on the air injection system. 107K 2011 model. User manual says this light should not even flash unless operating the 4WD HI / LO system. Any ideas? Oh yea, OBD logged NO codes at all.
Old 08-16-18, 01:02 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Is the switch in 4HI? I've hit the switch to 4LO when washing my car and never gave it a chance to engage, so the light just flashed until I put the switch into 4HI
Old 08-16-18, 01:03 PM
brian4l
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nickk6
Is the switch in 4HI? I've hit the switch to 4LO when washing my car and never gave it a chance to engage, so the light just flashed until I put the switch into 4HI
Nope, switch was always in 4WH.

Good thought though.
Old 08-16-18, 03:31 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

If you don't have Techstream you might want to check out OBD Fusion with model year specific expansion pack. This can dive into codes well beyond generic OBD that won't necessarily trigger a CEL.

This is some OBD Fusion discussion around AT Temps but just some info about what you need to buy.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...s-via-obd.html
Old 08-17-18, 06:48 AM
brian4l
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
If you don't have Techstream you might want to check out OBD Fusion with model year specific expansion pack. This can dive into codes well beyond generic OBD that won't necessarily trigger a CEL.

This is some OBD Fusion discussion around AT Temps but just some info about what you need to buy.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...s-via-obd.html
That's funny, I have ODB fusion but just used DashCMD on my iphone. I'll look into the fusion download today. However, I would think it would tell me it logged codes but didn't know what they are. DashCMD said no codes stored or otherwise, clean bill of health.
Old 08-17-18, 07:05 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

This may lead to nowhere on discovery of issue but you will have a far better portable troubleshooting tool if something crops up in the future.

I used DashCommand a while back.. it doesn't dig into all the other modules. IIRC.. the module used for the AWD/4WD system is located a ways to the right of the Driver Support computer that is replaced for MTS.

Think of the flashing 4L as a shoutout of an issue... it's own CEL for that system and base OBD can't reach into that area.
Old 08-17-18, 01:15 PM
brian4l
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
This may lead to nowhere on discovery of issue but you will have a far better portable troubleshooting tool if something crops up in the future.

I used DashCommand a while back.. it doesn't dig into all the other modules. IIRC.. the module used for the AWD/4WD system is located a ways to the right of the Driver Support computer that is replaced for MTS.

Think of the flashing 4L as a shoutout of an issue... it's own CEL for that system and base OBD can't reach into that area.
No additional transmission codes either, notta.

Even more bizarre now.

Quick Reply: Transfer case issues/problems