GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Leveling kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20 | 06:09 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Maybe some ideas here?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-2017-gx.html

for.a AVS/RAHC model I would think a person would have to use spacers on front shocks and perhaps disconnect the RAHC sensors attachment to the rear axle to trick vehicle into not auto-leveling

I am not aware of an “electronic” pause on RAHC that would work beyond the standard 18-20MPH range where auto leveling turns back on and position is adjusted to mid height setting

Old 05-01-20 | 04:26 PM
Wplittle20
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 GX 460 leveling spacer with KDSS & rear bags

New to the GX world. I have a 2 inch spacer I'd like to install on top of the coils. I haven't really read anywhere a direct answer to this question. Can you install a front spacer on a GX with KDSS & rear air bags. What does everyone do with the front height sensors ( one guy said throw them away not lights will come on.) What happens if you don't trick the rear air bags? My preferred outcome is a leveled front end with doing nothing to the rear at all and no dash lights.
Old 05-02-20 | 04:46 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Anything is possible, however It'd likely be cheaper to simply convert it to a conventional suspension setup, like ironman foamcell.
I've heard of spacer lifts working on on 4runners with xreas and vehicles with kdss but not with either and the oem air suspension.
you could always add airbags inside conventional coils when doing the conversion to help prevent reverse rake when loaded down or towing.
Old 05-02-20 | 05:58 AM
Wplittle20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Anything is possible, however It'd likely be cheaper to simply convert it to a conventional suspension setup, like ironman foamcell.
I've heard of spacer lifts working on on 4runners with xreas and vehicles with kdss but not with either and the oem air suspension.
you could always add airbags inside conventional coils when doing the conversion to help prevent reverse rake when loaded down or towing.

The conversion setup up is 880-1500 parts price average. The front leveling spacer for the strut I already have 45. Someone has to have just installed a leveling kit with bags and kdss. Just have to find them. Lol

Last edited by Wplittle20; 05-02-20 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-02-20 | 03:59 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wplittle20
The conversion setup up is 880-1500 parts price average. The front leveling spacer for the strut I already have 45. Someone has to have just installed a leveling kit with bags and kdss. Just have to find them. Lol
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ension-gx.html

If you watch the video in the above thread it may help your install if you can find spacers that will work with the oem airbags. I don't believe a coil spring spacer would work with oem airbags.... do you have spacers made for the airbags or coil spring spacers? I think this is a custom job...

discussion for a few posts in this thread on this topic too https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-thread-4.html

Last edited by nuclearn8; 05-02-20 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-02-20 | 05:19 PM
Wplittle20
Driver School Candidate

If you watch the video in the above thread it may help your install if you can find spacers that will work with the oem airbags. I don't believe a coil spring spacer would work with oem airbags.... do you have spacers made for the airbags or coil spring spacers? I think this is a custom job...

discussion for a few posts in this thread on this topic too https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-thread-4.html

Thank you I'll watch the video. I'm wanting to leave the rear bags undisturbed. I want to just install front coil spacers. I saw a thread that a guy installed from spacers and cut his AVS bracket to make them fit. He also put washers on the rear leveling valve. If I install from spacers and cut my bracket will I need to install/trick the rear suspension? I'm not wanting to lift the rear at all. Just spacer with no lights on the dash. Also if I don't trick the rear bags, will this damage them?
Old 05-02-20 | 05:20 PM
Wplittle20
Driver School Candidate

I can't seem to find anyone that did the front and left the rear alone.
Old 05-02-20 | 06:33 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

I think if you only put spacers on the front, you'll likely end up with a reverse rake (depending how worn your OEM front coils are).
I know nothing about tricking the rear suspension....
The following users liked this post:
Wplittle20 (05-02-20)
Old 05-02-20 | 06:36 PM
Wplittle20
Driver School Candidate

I think if you only put spacers on the front, you'll likely end up with a reverse rake (depending how worn your OEM front coils are).
I know nothing about tricking the rear suspension....
I'll put a tape measure on it to see how close it would be.
Old 05-03-20 | 10:20 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wplittle20
I'll put a tape measure on it to see how close it would be.
You'll find from googling people often get more lift than the height of the spacer that is installed.... just be aware this possibility exists.
The following 2 users liked this post by nuclearn8:
L8Shift (01-20-22), Wplittle20 (05-03-20)
Old 05-28-20 | 07:32 AM
mattds
Pit Crew

I"m about to do the same thing. From what i've read (And from past experience) you can do a front spacer lift without any impact to the rear suspension. My intention is to do the rear air bag trick if i need a small rear adjustment to have the truck level. (i have a 2" front spacer...so i might need .75" lift on the rear).

My real question is how to do the install witht the KDSS. I've rear so many different approaches.
1. open the KDSS shutter vales with the vehicle OFF the ground on an arm hoist
2. open the KDSS shutter valves with the veh on flat ground (then lift)
3. ratchet strap the KDSS piston
4. jack the KDSS piston
5. leave KDSS alone and remove UPPER control arm (which i don't understand if you are trying to remove the strut...but maybe when i crawl under it will make sense.

I have a flat hoist that allows me to lift one end (or side) of the vehicle at once... but i don't have a bottle jack...so i'm trying to figure out how to do it without the bottle jack method.
Old 09-01-20 | 01:09 PM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to raise an old thread- looking to do a level kit as well. I had the front end jacked up (literally, on a jack) and it looked so good being 1-2" higher than factory. My GX has the "high/low" button (switch?), does this mean I have the air suspension? Can I do a leveling kit or do I need to remove air suspension?