GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 Remote Engine Start (RES & RES+)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-19, 11:01 AM
maximusgx
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DBall2 Remote Start - Any way to trigger defrost?

This is really specific, but I've got a DBall2 doing remote start in my 2013 and I'd really like to have it trigger the window and mirror defroster. Has anyone done that before, or know roughly how I could make it happen?
Old 10-25-19, 12:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,616 Likes on 2,367 Posts

RES and even RES+ on 10-15 models needs to be preset according to the RES+ instructions. I have RES on mine and I would need to turn vehicle off with settings configured for the next remote start operation.

Not sure about 3rd party options. Someone may chime in on that.

https://www.lexusresplus.com/mobile/manual.jsp
Old 10-26-19, 03:17 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 842 Likes on 583 Posts

I need to reinstall my tracking module that I am paying a monthly fee for. Not really a security feature as it can be easily unplugged.
Old 12-03-19, 04:41 PM
Dildildil
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just bought a 2014 gx460 and got the remote start installed at a shop basically press lock 3x on factory key fob and it starts i called all the shops in my area and no one could do a KEY TAKEOVER for the gx where the vehicle wont shutoff when u open the door has anyone came around that ?
Old 12-03-19, 05:03 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Nope, no hack so far.
Old 12-05-19, 05:22 AM
thiggins
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally broke down and paid for the Enform service ( Safety Connect and Remote...). I know we are in a "fringe" area for pretty much ALL cellular providers...
$160/year is annoying, especially when the remote start doesn't work reliably. When we ask for a remote start, it may or may NOT work.
I've tried the app versus the FOB, but it's just not reliable. When it doesn't work, the starter starts to spin, then quickly stops spinning. It doesn't even get the engine turning. Very annoying. Sometimes it DOES complete the start cycle and get the 2017 GX running, but not always.

Does it really require a solid/real-time connection to Verizon to work? Is there another problem?
If it also shuts off when the door opens, we're out. The whole point was to warm it before going to work.
We are about an hour from the closest dealer.

Last edited by thiggins; 12-05-19 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-05-19, 07:22 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dildildil
I just bought a 2014 gx460 and got the remote start installed at a shop basically press lock 3x on factory key fob and it starts i called all the shops in my area and no one could do a KEY TAKEOVER for the gx where the vehicle wont shutoff when u open the door has anyone came around that ?
The issue is the US DOT and "Puffer Laws". The only way to legally get past the laws is to have the car disabled (unable to move without a key) when the door is opened. If you by-pass this, you would be in violation of the law in CO...LOL

Last edited by Statman; 12-05-19 at 11:39 AM. Reason: correction
Old 12-05-19, 09:22 AM
thiggins
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Statman
The issue is the US DOT and "Puffer Laws". The only way to legally get past the laws is to have the car shut down when the door is opened. If you by-pass this, you would be in violation of the law...LOL
My Ford F-150 can be remote started as built from the factory. It does NOT shut itself off when I open the door, or unlock the doors, or lock the doors...
When I called to cancel Enform today, the customer support girl argued that the Lexus method is a security/safety/theft issue, but I cannot agree. My F-150 simply requires the key to enable driving. No key, no drive.
Not sure why Lexus can't do this, but maybe this issue came about due to the wireless key/FOB, since my truck still required a physical metal key.
Yet another reason I dislike the FOB. ( Wait until your 80-ish year old parents lose FOB after FOB...)
Old 12-05-19, 09:33 AM
Dildildil
Rookie

Originally Posted by Statman
The issue is the US DOT and "Puffer Laws". The only way to legally get past the laws is to have the car shut down when the door is opened. If you by-pass this, you would be in violation of the law...LOL
Yes maybe but alot of people have the dvd/video in motion bypassed using some aftermarket kit so im surprised 10yrs later no one in the aftermarket industry has figured out a way to not have the vehicle shutoff once the door is opened, i also have a gx470 with remote start and i can start the car, unlock/lock while its running get in and have to put the key in ignition before putting foot on brake NO KEY and it shuts off so i dont have to worry abt it getting stolen. Now i know gx460 is a push to start vehicle but there are soo many other PTS cars that u can have key takeover i believe in 2013+ gs350 u can even get around it while the gx is older platform
Old 12-05-19, 02:48 PM
John00
Racer

Received 368 Likes on 279 Posts

it can be done. but whats so hard about pressing the start button when you get in? its much easier to press the start button than to bypass the auto shut off.
Old 12-06-19, 12:35 AM
Dildildil
Rookie

Originally Posted by John00
it can be done. but whats so hard about pressing the start button when you get in? its much easier to press the start button than to bypass the auto shut off.
Im sure it can be done but no one has done it or figured out how... its annoying to have the vehicle shutoff as soon as you open the door plus it also restricts other functions such as ability to leave the car running get out lock it and go in a gas station or store real quick and come back unlock n go in my gx470 i can hold the start button while the car is running take the key out and it doesn't shutoff then i can lock/unlock do as i please but to drive again i have to put the key in or else it will shutoff i think thats alot of convenience if you ask me.

For 2016+ owners out there with factory remote install using the enform app does the car shutoff when u open the door ?
Old 12-06-19, 03:40 PM
John00
Racer

Received 368 Likes on 279 Posts

saying no one has done it or figured it out is incorrect. many people dont care to share every mod.
bypassing the autoshut off on door open with remote start is not the same mod as locking the car with the engine on. these features can have an integrated solution, but at the simplest level they are separate.
for these, theres no key to insert, so that inconvenience disappears. in the end theres only 1 button to push, no need to find keys or anything else. 1 button right there, not difficult at all to push.
all your problems are solved with one button push, but you dont want to push it.

The following 2 users liked this post by John00:
Acrad (12-06-19), SteveInCal (12-10-19)
Old 12-06-19, 04:51 PM
Dildildil
Rookie

Originally Posted by John00
saying no one has done it or figured it out is incorrect. many people dont care to share every mod.
bypassing the autoshut off on door open with remote start is not the same mod as locking the car with the engine on. these features can have an integrated solution, but at the simplest level they are separate.
for these, theres no key to insert, so that inconvenience disappears. in the end theres only 1 button to push, no need to find keys or anything else. 1 button right there, not difficult at all to push.
all your problems are solved with one button push, but you dont want to push it.
Lol yes the button is right there but i feel as my starter will go out alot sooner by shutting the car on and off twice as many times if someone here has figured out a way so the car wont shut off when doors opened please post.
Old 12-06-19, 05:35 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I don’t recall reading any starter issues here.
Old 12-10-19, 01:53 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dildildil
Im sure it can be done but no one has done it or figured out how... its annoying to have the vehicle shutoff as soon as you open the door plus it also restricts other functions such as ability to leave the car running get out lock it and go in a gas station or store real quick and come back unlock n go in my gx470 i can hold the start button while the car is running take the key out and it doesn't shutoff then i can lock/unlock do as i please but to drive again i have to put the key in or else it will shutoff i think thats alot of convenience if you ask me.

For 2016+ owners out there with factory remote install using the enform app does the car shutoff when u open the door ?
My 2016 with Enform definitely shuts off when the door is opened. I've never found it an issue to push the start button

Quick Reply: GX460 Remote Engine Start (RES & RES+)