GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking at a 14 Luxury; Service history questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 03:14 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking at a 14 Luxury; Service history questions

I recently came upon a 14 Luxury that I'm in the initial stages of negotiations with the dealer on purchasing.

Now, usually when the dealer offers up the CarFax report without asking we all expect the service history to be spot on an without flaw, and for the most part that's true (there was no major maintenance done on it, anyway), but that's where the great news turns to...questions.

The first documented item was a 5k service performed at 7600 miles. The next was the 10k service at 22k. After this, the "5k services" are all performed at 10k intervals, with the final one at 12k when the vehicle (which was a Lease from Lexus that started Sept '14) was traded in in July '15 and had a final oil change done at the 63.400 miles.

Now, I get why they traded it in somewhere other than Lexus, as their Lease likely said 10, 12 or maybe at the very most 15k miles were allowed and these people obviously went wayyyyyy over that marking, so they would've likely payed dearly to return it to Lexus.

So, all that said, my question is pretty simple: should I be concerned in any way that this truck wasn't serviced at the proper "Lexus recommended intervals"? How much negotiating power does this disparagement give me as the buyer? Also, it's been in this dealer's inventory since late July of '15, so nearly 6 months now. The sales person I'm talking to claims they have been told by their manager that they can give me an "amazing deal" on this GX. It's currently listed at $40,500 and is a Luxury trim with everything except the Driver Support Package and Rear Seat Entertainment. I'm not sure if it has ML or not as I can't see that detail in the pictures :/

So, any thoughts on what an "amazing deal" would be on this truck?! Or should I run for the hills and wait for another one with a better reported service history and/or fewer miles?

Thanks in advance,
Bryce
Old 01-07-17, 03:41 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 592 Posts

63,400 miles on a 2014 that has sat on the lot for 6 months probability means a lot of highway use (I think you meant July 2016). I wouldn't be to concerned with the maintenance intervals with highway miles. I don't know the condition or the true value of the truck, but that sounds like a pretty good price for a Luxury. I would certainly use the maintenance intervals as a bargaining tool and with 6 months on the lot I think you could do quite well with the price.

Good luck and keep us posted

Last edited by tecman; 01-07-17 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 03:59 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
63,400 miles on a 2014 that has sat on the lot for 6 months probability means a lot of highway use (I think you meant July 2016). I wouldn't be to concerned with the maintenance intervals with highway miles. I don't know the condition or the true value of the truck, but that sounds like a pretty good price for a Luxury. I would certainly use the maintenance intervals as a bargaining tool and with 6 months on the lot I think you could do quite well with the price.

Good luck and keep us posted
Indeed, I did mean to say July of 2016. It is one of the best deals I've seen on a Luxury, especially on the western half of the country (I'm in the Pacific NW and the vehicle in is CA). Good news there is I shouldn't have to worry about rust from winter salts or other road chemicals, too much anyway.

I'll certainly use everything to my advantage for bargaining. It sounds like they want this one gone as much as I'd like to own it. Love our 06 GX so much we just want a newer version of it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. That's really all I wanted someone else to tell me that it wasn't a big deal.