GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

I feel like these are seriously underrated and underappreciated trucks...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 08:02 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would like for LEXUS to build an Actual TRUCK---I think it would be awesome
The following users liked this post:
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-24-17, 08:23 AM
daxia
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't agree more! I compared GX to Tahoe and Yukon before picked up my GX460. I like the reliability of GX and the size fit in my garage comfortably. I think GX mpg is amazing considering it has no such reliability liabilities of Turbo and Cylinder deactivation. Like many of us, I wouldn't trade reliability with mpg improvement. I am also old school and consider the current electric gimmicks such as BSM, LKA, and ACC are driving distractions. GM moves a lot of BOF Tahoe and Yukon each year so does Toyota with its 4runner, sequoia, and GX. So there are still a lot people buying these kind of SUV. I think most crossover buyers are originally from car buyers based on the huge sale decline of cars in recent years.
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-24-17, 10:34 PM
sashi
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a GX & GS F. First I could care less about the reviews bashing the gx & gs f. What I care about is how I feel driving these vehicles. GX is the best suv I've driven & I could care less about all those comparisons with gs f being underpowered to m5, cts v, etc. I don't care. One thing I've learned is trust your feelings, not some review of someone's opinion.... I don't jump on bandwagons. You wont regret getting a GX OP!
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-25-17, 08:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

Appreciate all the responses and input, guys!

I was a little tipsy the other night when I posted that, actually. But everything I said stands, and I appreciate hearing from actual owners.

I get C&D will gush over an Audi Q5 or whatnot, but I actually want a proper TRUCK. The GX looks like a truck, and I assume drives like one as well. My Yukon is older than dirt now but I still enjoy driving it because it feels like a truck--tough, powerful, safe. The GX won't run with an X6 M, and on paper it does seem a little underpowered, but I did see a MT article with a 6.9 second 0-60 time. So it's certainly not slow. My said Yukon is a mid 8 second vehicle and it feels sufficiently powerful, so a quicker GX would be icing on the cake.

Plus you just can't argue with a Toyota truck for durability, toughness, etc. I wasn't exaggerating when I said I believe these will last 20 years....my '04 LS is shaping up to be that way. That's something you just can't say with any other make. The interior is a little blocky, but I love it. Looks like a truck interior with a bunch of Lexus sweetness baked in. It's sad these days you have to read Truck Trend to see journalism appreciate a tried and true truck, making no apologies for itself.

It'll probably be a year or so until we find the right one, looking for them to come down in price about 5k more and find a nice 60k mile example, and drive the wheels off.

I actually think we prefer the pre-refresh model. It's a little plainer, but I like the rims better and it will be less expensive.
Old 03-12-17, 08:51 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I think its underrated as well. I got so tired of looking at "Glorified" minivans. I you want something that does more than just go to the grocery store, there is not much to choose from.
WE use low range probably 4 or 5 times a year. We have a few dents in skid plates and rocker panels from years of going where we like to picnic or fish etc. And we wanted something that is much more comfy than the Grand Cherokee on the highway. We looked at the GLS, the Q-7,Explorer,M-5 etc. All nice cars, good performance, but really just mini-vans with some appeal. If you want a REAL vehicle that can do lots of what we ask, there are not many choices. I don't want to shy away from exploring the less traveled path. I fyou do that, then the G-wagon, Range Rover, Grand Cherokee,Land cruiser,4Runner and Wrangler,GX460 are about your only options. So basically a 4 runner with adequate power and more creature comfort. Perfect. Even better if a few mods like skid plates and bumpers were readily available. Approach and departure angles are pretty poor. And the lack of skid plates are an issue for us. But as I break the plastic, I will need to fab something for that.
Old 03-29-17, 12:23 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I hope the GX stays a body on frame design and doesn't become car based.

They actually are a lot of bang for the buck when compared to other offerings. A little more up front, but you feel like you got your money's worth.
Oldmanb777 (03-29-17)
Old 04-02-17, 12:31 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I went out of my way to get body on frame with this purchase. I'm loving vehicle and this one will spend time off the pavement. If I need to drive fast in corners I can look to my Infiniti or even my little CX-5.

I know a lot of reviews mention upper 7 second for 0-60 but seat of the pants almost makes me think 6.9-7.2... something about it felt like my old 2002 Maxima when I got on it today. Frankly... putting it in sport suspension mode and driving through some back country corners I have been quite surprised how well it does considering the weight.

Aside from some unibody Jeeps (Grand Cherokee) I don't really consider anything non-BOF a SUV. Most are just CUVs and then you have a reviewers that don't know the difference between the two vehicles. I get that the GX could use even more under-cladding but take some CUVs off-road and then watch a long trail of fluid from punctured oil and transmission pans.
Oldmanb777 (04-04-17)