GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Auto Mirror Folding

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 06:28 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the kit I purchased however it hasn't arrived yet.

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3281...IyjlU#autostay
Old 08-06-17, 04:17 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
This is the kit I purchased however it hasn't arrived yet.

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3281...IyjlU#autostay
Any updates?
Old 08-07-17, 10:39 AM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my kit never arrived from aliexpress
I found one on ebay
Ebay item number:272788525906
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Toyota-car-side-mirror-folding-kit-Avensis-Prado-automatic-close-open-/272788525906?hash=item3f83769352:g:M4QAAOSw7EJZgmTN&vxp=mtr
Old 08-07-17, 02:55 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by ELEX470
my kit never arrived from aliexpress
I found one on ebay
Ebay item number:272788525906
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Toyota-c...JZgmTN&vxp=mtr
For my understanding by searching in similar application, this will require to remove the panel under the steering in oder to access the wiring harness, how difficult is the process to do so, have you installed it? Thanks.
Old 08-24-17, 05:25 PM
hzhao
Racer

I got a similar kit from China (helped with a friend), it is a similar product like on eBay, and was designed for Toyota Prado, the kit is an in-line module with the plugs that works for GX mirror switch. It also required three wires to tap into constant power source, door lock triggering signal and door unlock signal. With Tecman's help. I was able to get those signals from lock motor connecter on driver side door, and 12 volt constant source from main fuses box. After all the troubles, it didn't do anything

I further read more on this subject and noticed few things: compare the mirror switch for Prado and GX, it is in same physical shape, but on Prado has few more wires than on GX, that leads me to think if Prado switch has the wires to Body Control Unit, while GX only has few wires that is a simple direct switch to mirror motor, therefore the inline module solution won't work because it couldn't interface the Body Control Unit. Another thing I have notice on someone's post (for European model), there was a step that needs to be program the unit to "enable" the auto folding function, again, that will means to communicate with Body Control Module as part of the solution. The inline module I got, does not have any instruction about "programing" requirement, as if it is hard coded in the module itself.

So, at this point, I guess I am going to give up the mod for that function.

On a side note, just about every GX sold in Asia market are equipped with Driver Support Package and auto folding mirrors are standard. So as NX. My guessing is there will be different wire harnesses for different markets, which would be a quite cost saving consider the total volume of extra wires for function that is not needed.

Anyway, even it didn't work out at the end, I still feel great by learning a quite bit on this board and gained much more confidences for the future projects.
Old 08-25-17, 02:34 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

To be honest, as cool as this feature is, I'm glad that I have control over when I want them to fold instead of everytime I put into P. I'd have some serious concern about the motor would burn out and leave them in folded state at the worst time. Imagine you get it, put into D or R, mirrors fold out, you move 3 feet, realized you forgot something in the house, put in to P, mirrors fold in, got stuffs you want, put back to D and mirrors fold out again.
I only fold them when parking at tight spots.
Old 08-25-17, 02:40 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
To be honest, as cool as this feature is, I'm glad that I have control over when I want them to fold instead of everytime I put into P. I'd have some serious concern about the motor would burn out and leave them in folded state at the worst time. Imagine you get it, put into D or R, mirrors fold out, you move 3 feet, realized you forgot something in the house, put in to P, mirrors fold in, got stuffs you want, put back to D and mirrors fold out again.
I only fold them when parking at tight spots.
I just want them to work like they do on my GS and the last five cars we have owned. They only auto-close when you lock the car from the outside. It's a great visual cue that the car is locked. Plus I feel like the mirrors are less likely to be hit when they are closed.
Old 08-28-17, 08:16 AM
M7lexus
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is something that should be able to be done somewhat easily from someone with some automotive-electrical wiring knowledge.
That would not be me (not that good with wiring etc), but I am very eager to see this threw.
I am sure someone will figure this out and hopefully it will be somewhat easy since other parts of the world have that option already.