GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Interior and Running Board LED Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17 | 01:29 PM
livesc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tecman
^^ And 4 door panel lights.
Oops, yes, tecman is correct! 14 in total. Brain fart on my part.
The following users liked this post:
sfuad (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17 | 04:36 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Thanks for the input. Ordered two sets. Still confused on the running board lights. The picture says access the bulb from top, don't open up the housing. I would look in details this evening when my wife returns from work.
Old 03-07-17 | 07:13 AM
livesc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sfuad
Thanks for the input. Ordered two sets. Still confused on the running board lights. The picture says access the bulb from top, don't open up the housing. I would look in details this evening when my wife returns from work.
The actual harness/connector is on top and they are easily removed. Here is a link to a pic of the harness from another thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-....html#&gid=1&p

Here is a pic I took directly of the lens cover itself after I installed the LEDs.
Old 03-07-17 | 10:28 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Just to see how it works, I was able to remove the harness from top. However it took me awhile to get the connecter back in to housing. I knew from which position it come out, but it is hard to seat it back as you cant see it, only feel with hands. Is there as simple way?
The power cable is attached to bracket by some connector. I think if we can remove that connector that would give us some room to turn the bulb easily but I could not figure out how to do it.
Once I receive my bulbs, I would attempt again this weekend . One we remove the connector, do we have to simply pull the bulb out to remove it?

Thanks
Old 03-07-17 | 11:07 AM
livesc400
Pole Position

Just to see how it works, I was able to remove the harness from top. However it took me awhile to get the connecter back in to housing. I knew from which position it come out, but it is hard to seat it back as you cant see it, only feel with hands. Is there as simple way?
The power cable is attached to bracket by some connector. I think if we can remove that connector that would give us some room to turn the bulb easily but I could not figure out how to do it.
Once I receive my bulbs, I would attempt again this weekend . One we remove the connector, do we have to simply pull the bulb out to remove it?

Thanks
Unfortunately, there is no simple way. I just had to guesstimate where to position the harness myself. It might be easier if you loosen/cut one of the factory ties that hold the wire loom in place, but fortunately I had just enough slack to get mine back in. The trick for me was to use one hand to apply enough pressure to push the socket down, while the other twisted/positioned it in place. Regarding the bulb, yes, you can simply pull it out by hand. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 03-07-17 | 12:15 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by livesc400
Unfortunately, there is no simple way. I just had to guesstimate where to position the harness myself. It might be easier if you loosen/cut one of the factory ties that hold the wire loom in place, but fortunately I had just enough slack to get mine back in. The trick for me was to use one hand to apply enough pressure to push the socket down, while the other twisted/positioned it in place. Regarding the bulb, yes, you can simply pull it out by hand. Hope this helps and good luck!
Thanks. I would try this weekend.
Old 03-08-17 | 02:13 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

I received the bulbs today and started to do the mod. I was able to replace the four door bulbs. I was able to remove the lens from all four cabin lights, two front, one middle and one back. I am unable to remove the bulbs. I tried to pull them without success.

I would appreciate if any senior member who has done this can guide me .
Do we have to twist these or pull these?
Next would be replacing the running board lights

Thanks
Old 03-08-17 | 02:30 PM
Jonrx350
Driver School Candidate

I used latex medical gloves to pull them tiny bulbs out easy. They were slippery with my bare fingers.
ktranne9 (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17 | 02:44 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I received the bulbs today and started to do the mod. I was able to replace the four door bulbs. I was able to remove the lens from all four cabin lights, two front, one middle and one back. I am unable to remove the bulbs. I tried to pull them without success.

I would appreciate if any senior member who has done this can guide me .
Do we have to twist these or pull these?
Next would be replacing the running board lights

Thanks
I had the same problem, I used pliers wrapped in cloth. I never broke a bulb, but use eye protection it you do this. Latex gloves sounds like a safer option. Pull the bulb straight out.

Last edited by tecman; 03-08-17 at 02:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tecman:
ktranne9 (03-08-17), Richie7 (08-26-19), sfuad (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17 | 03:21 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tecman
I had the same problem, I used pliers wrapped in cloth. I never broke a bulb, but use eye protection it you do this. Latex gloves sounds like a safer option. Pull the bulb straight out.
Latex gloves worked like a charm.
Finally I was able to upgrade the interior lightening to led. This would not have been possible without the help of you all. Initial step by step instructions with pictures, link to purchase the bulbs and all the great advices during the process. I am grateful to all our members who provide great input.

Regards
Richie7 (08-26-19)
Old 03-08-17 | 04:24 PM
livesc400
Pole Position

Latex gloves worked like a charm.
Finally I was able to upgrade the interior lightening to led. This would not have been possible without the help of you all. Initial step by step instructions with pictures, link to purchase the bulbs and all the great advices during the process. I am grateful to all our members who provide great input.

Regards
Glad you got them installed, I bet it looks great! I agree, there are a lot of great and very helpful folks on here. Let's see some pics
Old 03-11-17 | 05:59 AM
kvguy81
Driver School Candidate

Amazon Amazon

Just a thought for anyone interested in replacing the front and back turn signal, plug and play, no hyper flashing, best one I have research so far, really damn bright.
Old 03-11-17 | 09:45 AM
livesc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kvguy81
https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-Lumens-...rds=luyed+7440

Just a thought for anyone interested in replacing the front and back turn signal, plug and play, no hyper flashing, best one I have research so far, really damn bright.
Awesome! These look pretty cool, especially since they are plug and play, without requiring a resistor. May have to give them a shot. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-11-17 | 11:46 AM
kvguy81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by livesc400
Awesome! These look pretty cool, especially since they are plug and play, without requiring a resistor. May have to give them a shot. Thanks for sharing!
No problem, I am sure you will happy with it. I put 4 in mine, before I didn't signal often when changing lane or making a right turn, but since I put those in, I always put them on when necessary, lol, so damn bright.
Old 03-21-17 | 11:55 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Originally Posted by kvguy81
No problem, I am sure you will happy with it. I put 4 in mine, before I didn't signal often when changing lane or making a right turn, but since I put those in, I always put them on when necessary, lol, so damn bright.
I may look into the turn signal soon

I upgraded all to LEDs too and used both Yorkim and generic bulbs I have left over from my previous car. The interior ones are generic and the running board are Yorkim. They are very similar and work the same but the generic is much cheaper. Both are pretty bright.
Beside latex gloves, I found that use tape is easier to pull the bulbs out. Just wrap the bulb in tape and pull. The first one of the running board was a bit confusing but once you get it, the rest were easy.

All white

Quick Reply: Interior and Running Board LED Upgrade