GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Interior and Running Board LED Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 09:27 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by tneal15
would you have a link to where I would be able to get that?
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm..._u=kkbdoj8fbdf
This is a Chinese site (similar to eBay here).
Old 08-27-18, 08:54 PM
NothingNew
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are having trouble getting the bulb back in (there isn't a lot of slack), you can remove the bulb holder from the wiring harness by depressing a small tab in the harness. That will allow you to twist the bulb holder back in place and then reconnect the harness.
Old 08-29-18, 11:14 AM
erx808
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use 2 hands to reinstall , twist the way it has the most slack, passenger side twist is opposite the driver side-feel till it gets back in the hole and twist the only way the wire will let you
Old 10-11-18, 08:38 AM
Zayn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaLeo
Here is what I was able to dig out on the web when I was looking for references to my 17 GX.

High beam headlamp H9-65W x 2

Front and rear turn signals 7440NA x 4

Back up light 921 x 2

Rear sidemarker 194 x 2

Map light 194 x 2

Dome light 194 x 2

Step light 194 x 4

Courtesy light 194 x 4

Trunk/Cargo area 194 x 2

Vanity Mirror 175 x 2

The rest are OEM LED
are these the sizes for the led I need to get or ?.....
Old 01-15-19, 09:10 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Started going at it

Help me out, started going at this last night while the kids were asleep so a bit of a later start then I would have liked. I pried the entire rear dome light housing from the ceiling with my plastic pry tools but was unsuccessful dislodging the cover. Is it better to just pry off the cover while the housing is attached to the ceiling? I thought about it but didn't get any give and didn't want to scratch up anything. Same for the door lights; attempted to pry off from bottom and in the end held off. I know there's an easier, minimal scratch way so please chime in. Thank you!
Old 01-15-19, 09:16 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Default bingo

After seeing this I think I was overthinking things when attempting last night. I'll be at it again tonight. Cheers!

Originally Posted by ltsr
Got rid of the incandescent bulbs and put in Philips 194:

The following users liked this post:
ragenatx (02-21-19)
Old 01-15-19, 10:21 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

For the dome ceiling lights, pry the cover off from the end that is toward the windshield. The lock tab is facing toward the back and if you're prying from that end it is a bit harder.
For the door, you can try to pry it from end that is forward the front, if looking at the driver side, it would be your right hand.

Originally Posted by Greenbow
After seeing this I think I was overthinking things when attempting last night. I'll be at it again tonight. Cheers!
Old 01-15-19, 10:23 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Default Preciate it

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
For the dome ceiling lights, pry the cover off from the end that is toward the windshield. The lock tab is facing toward the back and if you're prying from that end it is a bit harder.
For the door, you can try to pry it from end that is forward the front, if looking at the driver side, it would be your right hand.
@bbqsoup thanks for the feedback. Will do and will post after. Again thanks!
Old 01-15-19, 04:23 PM
krg813
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everybody! First time poster and first time Lexus owner. Just picked up a '16 GX and I'm absolutely in love with her.

I read this thread and decided to do the LED upgrade inside. I was able to change all the interior lights (which is a major feat for me as I'm not handy), but when I went to upgrade the step lights, the new LED bulb fell out of the fixture and is stuck in the step light housing. I removed the screws on the housing, but the plastic cover seems to be sealed. I tried getting the bulb out through the top but am unable. Anyone have a trick or ideas to get this remedied? Thanks!

Last edited by krg813; 01-15-19 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 06:19 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by krg813
Hi everybody! First time poster and first time Lexus owner. Just picked up a '16 GX and I'm absolutely in love with her.

I read this thread and decided to do the LED upgrade inside. I was able to change all the interior lights (which is a major feat for me as I'm not handy), but when I went to upgrade the step lights, the new LED bulb fell out of the fixture and is stuck in the step light housing. I removed the screws on the housing, but the plastic cover seems to be sealed. I tried getting the bulb out through the top but am unable. Anyone have a trick or ideas to get this remedied? Thanks!
if you removed the plastic housing and assembly from the brackets by removing those two screws. you should be able to separate the housing from the bottom where the light goes in. its two pieces. you may need to clean it up a little to loosen it, try some WD40 to clean it all up.
Old 01-25-19, 01:44 PM
Philly01
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 11GX460
I recently upgraded all of my interior lights to LEDs. I also upgraded my HID bulb to a higher lumen and fog lights, turn signals, reverse lights, and parking lights to LEDs. The only halogen bulb left is the high beam. And since I do not drive with my DRL on, I will leave it alone unit it's time to replace it with...another halogen bulb. I hope that helps.

With fog lights on.

I left the door ajar just so that you can see what it looks like from the outside.
Bright enough to not need a flashlight when searching for things.
And it's not glaringly bright, either.
Even updated the vanity mirror lights, because...why not?
I only used 2 of the Yorkims on the rear right and left doors, the rest were VLEDs.
VLED.
Yorkim. There are some differences and fitment between the 2 brands.
Hello: Could you please let me know if the VLED wil lfit Rear doors? Do you have a # for the License Plate LED? Thank you!
Old 01-25-19, 06:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly01
Hello: Could you please let me know if the VLED wil lfit Rear doors? Do you have a # for the License Plate LED? Thank you!
Rear doors are the same as front doors. The Licences plate light is quite bright and most here are happy with it, you need more?
Old 01-25-19, 06:51 PM
Zahid
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I finished this LED upgrade project last weekend. I replaced a total of 16 lights including 6 roof lights, 4 door panel lights, 4 running board lights and 2 vanity mirror lights. All these 16 are the same 194 LED lights. I used 6 Philips Ultinons for the roof/dome lights and the rest of the 10 lights were Yorkim (all purchased from Amazon). I figured I use better lights for the cabin area since that is most visible. I should have used Ultinons on all but they get pricey pretty fast. Yorkims are cheap. Time will tell which ones last more.

Changing the dome lights were the easiest. Door panel lights were not bad though I had to figure out how to take the two pieces apart to change the light once I took the whole assembly out of the door. Running board lights were hard to take out as I misunderstood some of the instructions and it made me lay on the floor and look under the vehicle. Once I did one, the rest were easy to take out and change the lights. Putting them back on also took some effort. I had to use my cell phone front camera and a flashlight to see what was going on. It takes some effort for the base to sit flash on the socket so that it can be twisted back to place. Overall very doable for anyone willing to change the lights.
Old 01-25-19, 07:46 PM
Philly01
Driver

Originally Posted by tecman
Rear doors are the same as front doors. The Licences plate light is quite bright and most here are happy with it, you need more?
Got it, thank you for the response! No need for a brighter license lights
Old 01-25-19, 07:56 PM
Philly01
Driver

Originally Posted by Zahid
I finished this LED upgrade project last weekend. I replaced a total of 16 lights including 6 roof lights, 4 door panel lights, 4 running board lights and 2 vanity mirror lights. All these 16 are the same 194 LED lights. I used 6 Philips Ultinons for the roof/dome lights and the rest of the 10 lights were Yorkim (all purchased from Amazon). I figured I use better lights for the cabin area since that is most visible. I should have used Ultinons on all but they get pricey pretty fast. Yorkims are cheap. Time will tell which ones last more.

Changing the dome lights were the easiest. Door panel lights were not bad though I had to figure out how to take the two pieces apart to change the light once I took the whole assembly out of the door. Running board lights were hard to take out as I misunderstood some of the instructions and it made me lay on the floor and look under the vehicle. Once I did one, the rest were easy to take out and change the lights. Putting them back on also took some effort. I had to use my cell phone front camera and a flashlight to see what was going on. It takes some effort for the base to sit flash on the socket so that it can be twisted back to place. Overall very doable for anyone willing to change the lights.
Could you please let me know how to access bulbs in running board. I can't find instructions here

Quick Reply: Interior and Running Board LED Upgrade