The following users liked this post:
Philly01 (01-26-19)
Old 01-26-19, 07:04 AM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

for the puddle lights i really enjoy these:
Amazon Amazon
I tried quite a few different ones, those had the best mix of price & brightness for my needs. I am not sure there is anything brighter that will fit in that location, it has 24 3014SMDs. the height can be the limiting factor, it was in some of the designs i evaluated.

be cautious using anything labeled CANBUS for lights that will remain on for more than a minute or two. For any CANBUS labeled light to be installed where the light will be on more than a minute or two, check it on the bench for 2x the amount of time you plan to have it on continuously. check the temp. the CANBUS they talk about is just a resistor from + to -, generates heat only, has no purpose for our 194 applications.

it should be possible to remove the CANBUS called resistor if you find that you have too much heat.

another option is to buy bulbs that are not CANBUS labeled for our 194 use, or that specifically say not CANBUS

ADD: these are too bright for most internal areas. I did put them into the very back where i needed more light. i cant imagine anyone wanting these up front in your face. these are so bright, when i open the door, the back interior two lights shine through the back window and light up the area outside. window and door closed.
Old 01-26-19, 08:15 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly01
Hello: Could you please let me know if the VLED will fit Rear doors? Do you have a # for the License Plate LED? Thank you!
Since Tecman has already responded to you, I will simply say that as my 5th year of solid ownership approaches next month, thanks for re-posting some of my old photos and showing me why my GX is worth keeping. I especially like photo 6. And so far, only 1 of the interior VLEDs needed to be replaced with the cheaper Yorkims from Amazon. And it wasn't that the light was bad, it was the connection for that particular application. Both do the job well, though I prefer the VLEDs a little more since they look better.
The following 2 users liked this post by 11GX460:
Acrad (01-26-19), Philly01 (01-26-19)
Old 01-26-19, 09:52 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Good to hear the VLEDs have overall held up well. That is what I used on mine.

Originally Posted by 11GX460
Since Tecman has already responded to you, I will simply say that as my 5th year of solid ownership approaches next month, thanks for re-posting some of my old photos and showing me why my GX is worth keeping. I especially like photo 6. And so far, only 1 of the interior VLEDs needed to be replaced with the cheaper Yorkims from Amazon. And it wasn't that the light was bad, it was the connection for that particular application. Both do the job well, though I prefer the VLEDs a little more since they look better.
Philly01 (01-26-19)
Old 01-28-19, 11:54 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071LHP5WP
I tried quite a few different ones, those had the best mix of price & brightness for my needs. I am not sure there is anything brighter that will fit in that location, it has 24 3014SMDs. the height can be the limiting factor, it was in some of the designs i evaluated.

be cautious using anything labeled CANBUS for lights that will remain on for more than a minute or two. For any CANBUS labeled light to be installed where the light will be on more than a minute or two, check it on the bench for 2x the amount of time you plan to have it on continuously. check the temp. the CANBUS they talk about is just a resistor from + to -, generates heat only, has no purpose for our 194 applications.

it should be possible to remove the CANBUS called resistor if you find that you have too much heat.

another option is to buy bulbs that are not CANBUS labeled for our 194 use, or that specifically say not CANBUS

ADD: these are too bright for most internal areas. I did put them into the very back where i needed more light. i cant imagine anyone wanting these up front in your face. these are so bright, when i open the door, the back interior two lights shine through the back window and light up the area outside. window and door closed.
Ordered some. I like these, they are brighter and whiter than my 6 year old VLEDs.

VLED

AUXITO
John00 (01-28-19)
Old 02-19-19, 02:26 PM
ragenatx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the front seat lights, map lights, any suggestion on how to remove those lenses? I was trying with a small screw drive and credit card but was indenting the plastic housing around the light. I had great success with the cargo area and back seat lenses with the small screw driver and credit card, but not the front. I am not certain where to apply pressure on those front two lenses neither.
Old 02-19-19, 02:31 PM
ragenatx
Driver School Candidate

Any advice on accessing the front two lenses (map light) I did not have any luck with removing those lenses, as I did the middle and rear lenses?
Old 02-19-19, 03:04 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Pry from the side. Drivers side shown.
The following 2 users liked this post by tecman:
haumana (03-20-21), ragenatx (02-22-19)
Old 02-19-19, 03:06 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Ops that is not the map light. Hang on.....
ragenatx (02-22-19)
Old 02-19-19, 03:14 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Pry from windshield side. .
Acrad (02-19-19), ragenatx (02-21-19)
Old 02-20-19, 07:06 AM
ragenatx
Driver School Candidate

Good morning Tecman, and thank you, I will give this a try after work today.
Old 02-21-19, 07:31 AM
ragenatx
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, this worked last night, looks much better! I always wondered why LED is found elsewhere in the GX but not in the interior overhead lights. My next goal is to work on the running board lights.
Old 02-21-19, 01:26 PM
ragenatx
Driver School Candidate

Will these bulbs work for the running boards?
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-car/206/6774/
Old 02-21-19, 01:48 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by John00
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071LHP5WP

Originally Posted by ragenatx
Will these bulbs work for the running boards?
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-car/206/6774/

That will work but if you want brighter and a few bucks cheaper I think you will like Johns recommendation. Here they are on my GX.

John00 (02-22-19), ragenatx (02-22-19)
Old 02-22-19, 04:02 PM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

yes, those lights are insanely bright, and have good heat dissipation as well. i didnt test for a continuous use case, but my guess is they would be fine. could also most likely remove the resistor across the pads if it did become an issue.
ragenatx (02-25-19)

Quick Reply: Interior and Running Board LED Upgrade