GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Interior and Running Board LED Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19 | 04:16 PM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Installed Auxitos in the running boards last night.
They look great and can’t beat the price; $15.88 for 10 They look great and can’t beat the price; $15.88 for 10

Here’s a couple quick before and after shots.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-20-19 | 04:46 PM
John00
Racer

I had to do a double take. Somehow I saw ebolaking instead of elkaboing
Old 03-21-19 | 09:43 AM
ragenatx
Driver School Candidate

Looks great!
Old 03-21-19 | 09:51 AM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John00
I had to do a double take. Somehow I saw ebolaking instead of elkaboing
Hahahah, much different. Elkaboing is a mountain bike model. Ebolaking was already taken by a dude in Africa.
Old 03-21-19 | 09:59 AM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Finished-up the interior last night. The additional light in the cargo area alone makes this worth it:

Really brightens everything up inside, especially with the light colored ecru interior

The following 4 users liked this post by elkaboing:
DJtheGR8 (04-13-20), EXP_Cougar (03-26-19), John00 (03-23-19), ltsr (03-26-19)
Old 03-23-19 | 03:11 PM
John00
Racer

That is a lot of light
Old 03-26-19 | 02:09 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Great thread, might be time to add some stuff on the '14, maybe even look into my '08 for some interior stuffs.

thank you!
Old 03-26-19 | 02:22 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by elkaboing
Installed Auxitos in the running boards last night. They look great and can’t beat the price; $15.88 for 10

Here’s a couple quick before and after shots.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LHP5WP..._7BSKCb4PEH5N3
Thanks for this. I swapped out my expensive Philips bulbs for these. These are brighter and less blue than the Philips at a fraction of the cost. When you posted them up, they were on lightning deal at $12. Can't beat that.
Old 03-27-19 | 05:05 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltsr
Thanks for this. I swapped out my expensive Philips bulbs for these. These are brighter and less blue than the Philips at a fraction of the cost. When you posted them up, they were on lightning deal at $12. Can't beat that.
got these during the lightning deal on amazon. They are BRIGHT. Like daylight bright with a hint of blue if you glance at the bulb. I wish they made these in a warmer tone 3500-4000k LED. My eyes greatly prefer the warmer color, but I needed more visible light in the trunk area.

So far I only replaced the 2 in the trunk. I plan to keep everything from the front to the middle with the stock lights. The only other area I might replace is the running board lights.
Old 03-29-19 | 08:35 AM
Rowan611
Driver School Candidate

Replaced all interior, running board lights and reverse lights with VLEDs the other day. I do this on all our cars. I’ve had nothing but good luck with VLEDs.
Old 04-20-19 | 12:23 PM
tneal15
Driver School Candidate

Default Aftermarket LED light interface

I have a 2016 GX460. About 3 months ago I relaxed all the interior and exterior lights with LED lights. I purchased the lights from superbrigntled.com they worked great, but the issue I had was my key fob did not always work properly. I would have to hit the lock button repeatedly. The locking sensors on the door for keyless entry also did not work all the time. I took it into Lexus 3 different times and they could not make heads or tails of it. We replaced the battery in the key FOB and the car battery. Replaced the key FOB itself and still the issue persisted. Finally they replaced all the LED lights and put factor halogen lights back in it. Problem solved.

My question is have any of you experienced this? And are there LED lights that won’t cause the RF interference?

Thanks for all your help!

Neal
Old 04-20-19 | 12:47 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Hmm, new to me.

Possible Solutions to LED Lights Causing Electromagnetic Interference (EMF/ RF)

We're big fans of LED lighting here at Reduction Revolution. Over the last few years we've sold tens of thousands of LED lights from quality brands like Philips and Verbatim.

In the vast majority of cases, LED lights do what they're meant to. They provide better lighting with up to 90% less energy consumption.

Occasionally our customers do encounter a problem. One such problem is 'radio frequency' (RF) or 'electro-magnetic frequency' (EMF) interference.

Some customers have reported this interference on their TV or radio after upgrading MR16 downlights to LED. This only happens when the lights are switched on, but it can be annoying, especially if you enjoy AM radio! Apparently it can also happen with the mains voltage LED lamps, although we have not experienced this.

Understanding RF / EMF Interference

First up, let's clarify some of the terms and how this all works.

Important: The LED lamp is not the only, and not necessarily the most dominant, cause of interference. The full system must be considered.

Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC)

All Philips LED bulbs (and other reputable brands) have full EMC compliance. This testing is normally conduced by third parties to EMC standard CISPR15.

Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) - Disturbance Source

This refers to the device emitting electromagnetic energy. In the case of lighting this could be:
  1. Light bulb
  2. Ballast
  3. Transformer

Coupling Path - Conduction & Radiation

This refers to the interaction between the 'source' and the 'victim.' In the case of lighting it could be:
  1. Fitting or 'luminaire'
  2. Cable
  3. Ceiling

Electromagnetic Susceptibility (EMS) - Susceptible Item

This refers to the item that may be affected by the above interference and may include:
  1. AM or Digital Radio
  2. TV
  3. Computer

What to do if you experience a problem

Here is the list of possible solutions that we are aware of:
  1. Use a compliant LED bulb. All of our Philips LED light bulbs and fittings are fully compliant with the relevant standards.
  2. Change the transformer to one with better EMI suppression, such as our Philips LED transformer.
  3. Shorten the cable length and if possible use a shielded cable.
  4. Add an EMI filter at the input / output of the transformer. These are also called ferrite beads or ferrite chokes.
Obviously, item 2 above is only suitable for low voltage LED lights. The other suggestions can also be used on mains voltage LED light bulbs.
https://reductionrevolution.com.au/b...ference-emf-rf
Old 04-20-19 | 03:35 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by tneal15
I have a 2016 GX460. About 3 months ago I relaxed all the interior and exterior lights with LED lights. I purchased the lights from superbrigntled.com they worked great, but the issue I had was my key fob did not always work properly. I would have to hit the lock button repeatedly. The locking sensors on the door for keyless entry also did not work all the time. I took it into Lexus 3 different times and they could not make heads or tails of it. We replaced the battery in the key FOB and the car battery. Replaced the key FOB itself and still the issue persisted. Finally they replaced all the LED lights and put factor halogen lights back in it. Problem solved.

My question is have any of you experienced this? And are there LED lights that won’t cause the RF interference?

Thanks for all your help!

Neal
That's the first report about LED lights that interfered with smart entry system. I have replaced all of them with LED and have not had any interference. Maybe try a different brand of LEDs. I have used pretty genetic T-10s from Amazon and worked fine for more than a year now.
Old 04-21-19 | 06:22 AM
John00
Racer

Usually this type of interference is in AC to DC or switched DC applications. Many garage door openers also have problems when LED bulbs are put in place of incandescents.
like hzhao said, there are some that will not cause problems. if you have some fancy version with switching, this could cause a problem.

the simple ones wont have switching. you dont even need what they call CANBUS. I say what they call since its not really CANBUS in our use.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...incidence.html
Old 04-21-19 | 01:55 PM
tneal15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John00
Usually this type of interference is in AC to DC or switched DC applications. Many garage door openers also have problems when LED bulbs are put in place of incandescents.
like hzhao said, there are some that will not cause problems. if you have some fancy version with switching, this could cause a problem.

the simple ones wont have switching. you dont even need what they call CANBUS. I say what they call since its not really CANBUS in our use.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...incidence.html
is there a brand you recommend

Quick Reply: Interior and Running Board LED Upgrade