GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 06:07 AM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So finally after having getting the P2551 code for 4-5 times within a domain of 3-4 days since I completed the repairs, I was able to figure out the issue. P2551 is for valve closure in BANK1 (Driver side). So per my analysis if there would've been a problem in pump or the other valve, then I'd have seen more codes. Having narrowed down to Bank 1, I first tightened the two 10mm screws that connect the valve to exhaust manifold. Even that did not work. Moreover since I had not replaced the two bushings, one for each valve, that sits between the valve and exhaust manifold pipe as has user "kappasig" shown above, so I purchased those first. Then I took out both valves, only to find some moisture in there. That made me to open the pump but there wasn't even a drop of moisture in there. So I finally opened up the valves completely only to find as expected, there was that gooey sponge from the old crappy filter stuck inside the driver side (BANK1) valve, which was causing the issue randomly. Cleaned everything up and put everything back where they belonged. All's working fine for now. Moreover it has only been a few hours since I rectified this issue. Hopefully it doesn't throw any more codes. Will keep you guys notified.

One quick question. Is it OK to find condensation/water in valves though there wasn't any found in the air pump ? How did the moisture get in there ? Is it 'coz of the hot exhaust gases cooling and condensing in there ? Attached are some pics of the valves I took to show the condensation I am talking about.

Lastly, taking 'kappasig"'s case, I will take my case with Lexus as well. Hope they agree to pay.

Old 10-14-16, 10:07 PM
Luninox
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What fuse do

What fuse do I replace I cleaned my pump and reset and still have code so maybe need that fire which is it?
Originally Posted by machine323
another filter sucked in the pump. there is actually a tsb i found on the subject while diagnosing my own codes. it specifically talks about the filter getting sucked into the system. i hope everyone takes note of this. i got off easy with a $15 fuse and cleaning out my pump. i never took my valves apart so i dont know what all got sucked in there. i will cross that bridge if it comes up. mine was a 2010 with 78k on the odd. i do not have a filter anymore eta: there sure looks to be a lot of moisture in your pictures.
Old 10-19-16, 05:56 PM
machine323
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't remember off hand. its in the fuse box right behind the battery. its actualy houses 3 different fuses in one. you will see it all splattered if is blown. I did have to change both my valves out though to actually clear the codes
Old 10-22-16, 09:39 PM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After replacing the foam with the filter, my error message p2442 and all the warning light are gone.
The car is running normal.
did it happen with anyone else? did the error and light came back again?
Should i still replace the valves?
Thanks for any input.
Old 11-03-16, 09:24 AM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Just listed for sale in GX460 classifieds two genuine Toyota /Lexus gaskets for when you need to replace air valves for ( Error code P2442 and P2441 ) for GX460 4.6 L engine
2 Gaskets for AIR SWITCHING , P\N: 1737638030
Gaskets are exactly the same for driver and passenger air valves location sides.
Price for two/both gaskets is $10.
Old 11-03-16, 09:25 AM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Just listed for sale in GX460 classifieds two genuine Toyota /Lexus gaskets for when you need to replace air valves for ( Error code P2442 and P2441 ) for GX460 4.6 L engine
2 Gaskets for AIR SWITCHING , P\N: 1737638030
Gaskets are exactly the same for driver and passenger air valves location sides.
Price for two/both gaskets is $10.
Old 11-05-16, 09:27 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Great thread! I just got the dreaded P2445 code. We just made our last payment on our 2012 GX460 yesterday and when I saw how much it would cost to fix this I almost lost it, that is until I found this and a couple other threads. Our GX is out of warranty since it has 60k miles on it but my dealer is going to look into getting this covered under warranty next week. If that doesn't work, I will go the route some of you have done and try to fix it myself or install the bypass for $350. Has anyone installed the bypass and if so, any issues so far?
Old 11-06-16, 01:07 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sudhs
The parts (OEM valves ($444) + aftermarket pump ($140) = $580) aren't cheap on this. I can guarantee that my dealership, even after Lexus approving for labor, may say that i'll have to pay for parts but may install for free. This is a good learning curve for me. Had never had a chance to work on my 2011 GX 460 (66K on it) though I worked on my bimmers quite some. But yeah.. no doubts.. if Lexus is willing to pay for this repair, t's a sweet deal. Secondly, the charges depend on dealerships.. looks like you got a pretty decent quote i.e $1600 whereas lotta others got a quote for $2200+, some in even $3K types.. It'll be stretching luck too far with that number, but definitely worth a try if you have some time on hand and a LOOTTA patience. IMO
Where did you get these parts for this cheap and is there any other parts you needed like gaskets?
Old 11-06-16, 04:45 PM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

the parts where bought from local Lexus dealer I had two extra gaskets and selling them because they where extra.
PM me if you need them.
Old 11-10-16, 08:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Well I just got my GX back from the dealer and they replaced everything under warranty. I got lucky that even though my truck is out of warranty, because of my year and state located, it was covered. Had it been a 2010 or 2011 it wouldn't have been.
Old 12-02-16, 12:04 PM
Norbon78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Secondary air pump

Originally Posted by Jonathan68
This is my family 3rd lexus...we used to have the LS, ES, SC series. But so far no problems. That's why we keep buying lexus. But with this model we have the same problem code 2445 after 60k miles. My family is a old time mechanic ourselves.i wonder why so many people having the problem. Even the toyota Tundra Engine have it too. And on ebay there's a guy selling the bypass module to fix it. My main concern is why don't we all call Lexus customer's service and report it...so they can bring it to the world or recall. People please report this problem to your Lexus customer's service. I call and complain but the lady said. I'm the only 5th person calling from Florida. We need to bring this issue to the news people
Yup - my 2012 GX 460 had same issue this week - mileage at 59k and nearly 60 months old. I am wondering why this issue was not covered as a recall by Lexus/Toyota as it is clearly a defective part (the tiny air filter fails and falls into the air compressor) that has endured from 2005-2009 in the 4.7L models (plus condensation into the air valves) and 2010-2012 in the 4.6L models. The real problem is due to the secondary air pump location and air valves, we minor maintenance folks at home cannot easily replace/repair and it's expensive to have the dealership do it (secondary air compressor and both valves replaced at the tidy sum of $2.2k). Hey - wake up Toyota/Lexus. Things like this make us not recommend your line of vehicles to others.Lexus/Toyota should be replacing these faulty systems on their own when maintenance is done. Everybody knows its a problem - but it's too expensive for dealerships to suck it up.
Old 12-02-16, 02:14 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Norbon78
Yup - my 2012 GX 460 had same issue this week - mileage at 59k and nearly 60 months old. I am wondering why this issue was not covered as a recall by Lexus/Toyota as it is clearly a defective part (the tiny air filter fails and falls into the air compressor) that has endured from 2005-2009 in the 4.7L models (plus condensation into the air valves) and 2010-2012 in the 4.6L models. The real problem is due to the secondary air pump location and air valves, we minor maintenance folks at home cannot easily replace/repair and it's expensive to have the dealership do it (secondary air compressor and both valves replaced at the tidy sum of $2.2k). Hey - wake up Toyota/Lexus. Things like this make us not recommend your line of vehicles to others.Lexus/Toyota should be replacing these faulty systems on their own when maintenance is done. Everybody knows its a problem - but it's too expensive for dealerships to suck it up.
Go to the dealer and check to see whether yours is covered. I have the same year (just turned 60 months old too) and exact same mileage as you and it was 100% covered but it is only certain years. For whatever reason if I had a different year like 2011 it wouldn't have been covered.
Old 12-02-16, 03:12 PM
Norbon78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Secondary air pump - repaired

Originally Posted by patgilm
Go to the dealer and check to see whether yours is covered. I have the same year (just turned 60 months old too) and exact same mileage as you and it was 100% covered but it is only certain years. For whatever reason if I had a different year like 2011 it wouldn't have been covered.
I did go to the dealership for service and they indeed covered the replacement of the secondary air compressor and both air valves. Advice to any owner of the 4.6L 2010-2012 Lexus GX 460 or Toyota 4Runner - let your service representative know that this failure is a fleetwide problem and that other dealerships have covered it. I don't know if the dealership has coverage from parent Lexus/Toyota (they should - not dealership's fault). Thanks for this forum and thanks for your reply. The savings was over $2,000.
Old 02-03-17, 02:39 PM
stevenatx
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default P2442 and Secondary Air, locked 4LO

I have what seems like a common issue. 2011 GX460

Locked in 4LO, Check engine light with P2442 code. (bank 2)

Changed to a new secondary air pump. Fan and filter on old one was intact. Everything inside was clean.

50a fuse for Air Pump is fine.

With new pump in it still stays in 4LO and Seondary air pump doesn't turn off.

Any suggestions?

Steve

Last edited by stevenatx; 02-03-17 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-03-17, 03:31 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 876 Likes on 608 Posts

You have a bad valve. The pump can cause this, but one of two valves can also malfunction with a good pump. I think there are a couple of other threads on this as well if you search here. These threads really need to be merged into a Sticky. You are in limp mode, not stuck in 4lo, it's just a warning light.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...take-pump.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...tion-pump.html

And:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-pictures.html

Last edited by tecman; 02-03-17 at 03:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
daman7676 (02-06-17)

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions