GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 07:53 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dushman
For more that a year now, the check engine, slip indicator and 4Lo lights are on for my Lexus GX 460. Initially driving was normal and you will not notice any problem. Recently how,when the check engine light begins to blink, the car cannot accelerate beyond 80km/h. I have try several diagnosis,where the scanner is placed on the vehicle's computerized system. Sometimes, when these lights clear, within one hour drive, they reappear. What can be the problem?
free secondary air fix at dealer. You will even get a loaner car and a car wash.
Old 04-08-19, 09:11 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Well, finally it is my tune now. This afternoon, as I was driving, the check engine light came on, and "traction off" displayed in the cluster. No flashing 4-Lo yet, but definitely reduced power with very rough idle. Anyway, call the dealer, will have tow truck tomorrow morning and getting it taking care of.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (04-08-19)
Old 04-09-19, 06:29 AM
HewittTech
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
Well, finally it is my tune now. This afternoon, as I was driving, the check engine light came on, and "traction off" displayed in the cluster. No flashing 4-Lo yet, but definitely reduced power with very rough idle. Anyway, call the dealer, will have tow truck tomorrow morning and getting it taking care of.
Might be something else other than the Secondary Air system. Typically a rough idle is not part of the problem but it is possible. If you get your codes let us know what they are and would be glad to help.
Acrad (04-09-19)
Old 04-09-19, 08:23 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by HewittTech
Might be something else other than the Secondary Air system. Typically a rough idle is not part of the problem but it is possible. If you get your codes let us know what they are and would be glad to help.
The GX is at dealer now. Will be sure to update the group here with the final. They said should be done by Thursday due to busy schedule and workload. Since I have the loaner (2019 RX350L), and I am fine and no particular hurry anyway.
Old 04-19-19, 03:53 PM
GuyHoozdis
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ... and now it won't start.

I've been following a few threads on this forum for several months now. It has been a wonderful resource! I thank you all for that.

Spoiler

1. I have a 2011 GX 460.
  2. My wife drives the car daily, so information on what was happening leading up to any issue is second-hand and limited.
  3. Last fall, there was a problem with the car. Google searches and this forum led me to the secondary air pump.
  4. Upon inspecting the air pump I found that the fan was gummed up by, what used to be, the filter. Unlike other threads that discuss this problem, I did not detect any moisture in any part of the lower chamber of the air pump, the upper chamber of the air pump, nor in the tube at the connection to the air pump.
  5. I inspected the tube that connected the air pump to the valves, but only up to the "Y" connector. I could not detect any evidence of the disintegrated filter in the tube nor in the connector.
  6. I removed every bit of filter from the upper chamber of the air pump.
  7. I reconnected the air pump and the car appeared to run fine.

The original part (secondary air pump) with the filter clogging the fan and outlet. Filter removed in the late fall.

That lasted for several months. This spring, when there were still some cold days, the car started to have problems again and the indicators seemed to point at the same problem we had in the spring.

1. I got a code reader and confirmed P2442 was being reported.
  2. I learned more about the purpose of the air pump and "limp mode".
  3. I discovered that clearing the codes seemed to return the car to normal.
  4. At this point, I assumed that the air pump, being needed to start the car on cold mornings, had finally died. I found an after market replacement for the air pump. Per a suggestion I saw on this forum, I removed the filter from the new part and put an external filter over the intake of the new pump.

The after market component (secondary air pump) with external filter modification. Component installed in the early spring.

The issue appear to be fixed again, but that only lasted a short while. A few weeks later the car was having the same behavior. The code reader was showing P2442 again. I got my wife a rental and would drive the GX for short errands to see if I could figure out what was going on. It was during this time that the car stalled on me while I was driving it. It wouldn't start after that. I didn't want to cause damage trying to start it repeatedly, so I just got it towed home.

I decided to simply replace both air valves too. With guidance / inspiration from this post, I ordered both valves and new gaskets. I got OEM parts this time. The old valves looked a lot like the other posts I see talking about the P244# problem.

The upper chamber of the secondary air switching valve - bank 2 (passenger side).

The lower chamber of the secondary air switching valve - bank 2.

I installed the new valves and put everything back together. At this point, I was expecting the car to start-up and run, but that is not what happened.
  1. When the GX wouldn't start, I got some starter fluid and tried a few more times.
  2. It felt like there was ignition, but it didn't didn't feel like it was actually "running".
  3. I put the battery on a charger to make sure that it was strong and fully charged.
  4. Still couldn't get the car to start.

I borrowed a scanner and it appeared to indicate the secondary air valve (bank 2) was stuck open. In hindsight, it might have been telling me that was the issue before I installed the new valves and it just hasn't cleared yet because I haven't been able to start the car and run it through the cycle it would need to verify that the reported issue is indeed resolved.

Currently I'm working my way through the components of the air system and using a service manual from ChiltonDIY.com to guide me on how to verify that individual components are working. Everything has been passing thus far. I think I'm in the weeds though and I could use some help. I have two specific questions, but I would appreciate any expert guidance.

The current state of things:

• I have the battery disconnected, the bank 2 air valve removed, and parts of the air filter system removed too.
  • I got my own ODB2/EOBD Scanner delivered last night, but haven't run it yet since I have parts taken out.

My questions:
  1. While I have these components out the spark plugs, one one side, are easy to reach. Should I take advantage of this state and inspect the plugs? If so, what should I do and what am I looking for?
  2. When the engine wasn't starting I did hear a sound that I couldn't interpret. It was a buzzing that was audible after the ignition sequence had stopped trying to get the car to turn over. It is possible that it is a normal thing and I just have never noticed it before. As best as I could tell, the sound was coming from the electronics connected to the throttle body (I think that is what you call it). Does this mean anything to you guys? I have a video that shows what I am talking about. I'll post it below.

In lieu of any recommendations that need the valve uninstalled, I'm going to start putting things back together.
Old 04-19-19, 04:06 PM
GuyHoozdis
Rookie

I'm having trouble uploading the video. I'm not sure if it is too large of a file or something like that. I'll work on that and post it as soon as I figure it out.
Old 04-19-19, 04:20 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 868 Likes on 602 Posts

Great post, thanks!! If you are using CL pic/video option to upload a video I have had problems. If it is a YouTube video you must SUBMIT REPLY the link for CL software to process it and show the video.
Old 04-19-19, 04:49 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 868 Likes on 602 Posts

Should I take advantage of this state and inspect the plugs? If so, what should I do and what am I looking for?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-with-oil.html
Old 04-19-19, 06:52 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,644 Likes on 2,387 Posts

There is a 10-13 FSM in this post.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-460-a.html

Remember that air system on your GX has a warranty extension of 10 years / unlimited mileage from warranty inception date.
Old 04-19-19, 07:28 PM
GuyHoozdis
Rookie

Thank you for the input, Techman and Acrad.

If you are using CL pic/video option to upload a video I have had problems
Yes, I was using the CL upload for the video. If you think that it might be relevant to why I was having trouble starting the car, then I'll put it up somewhere that you can see it.

Thank you for pointing out the Spark Plug Well Filled with Oil issue. I'll check that out.

----

There is a 10-13 FSM in this post.
Finite State Machine? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are saying here.

Remember that air system on your GX has a warranty extension of 10 years / unlimited mileage from warranty inception date.
Have I voided that warranty now that I've been messing around under the hood? I am the second owner of this car. I've read that some services aren't available to me since that is the case. If I have that wrong, any pointers would be welcome. I don't mind doing the work though. I happen to have the time right now and except for the fact that the car didn't start when I put it back together it has been rather enjoyable.
Old 04-19-19, 07:35 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

It's a factory repair manual that will be more detailed than the Chiltons. This warranty would follow all owners up to expiration. I gotta be honest I don't think Lexus dealer would touch it seeing aftermarket parts on there now. It would likely have to be reverted back to the original parts in a failed state for extended warranty coverage to apply on the air pump system.

Last edited by Acrad; 04-19-19 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 07:59 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Put it back to the original state then tow it to the dealer. Lexus should honor the extended warranty.

Good luck.
Craigyyy (04-22-19)
Old 04-20-19, 04:52 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

It's worth a shot but I know you already bought the parts but you could try reselling parts too.

There are bypass units as well for 10-14 models.

https://hewitt-tech.com/store/index....ct_detail&p=44
John00 (04-20-19)
Old 04-21-19, 11:49 PM
GuyHoozdis
Rookie

Thanks for sharing that manual!

Would someone confirm that their AI-VSV relay harness passes this test. I get 0V when I measure between terminal 2 and body/ground.

The relay itself passed. This is for the socket in which the relay sits; as the manual says, the "harness" or "connector". Do you read 11V - 14V?
Old 04-22-19, 02:16 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

This is a $2,000+ repair. I had a 2012 GX that threw this error code 6 days after the new car warranty expired. Lexus repaired it at no cost to me. A few months later I got a letter saying that this part and all labor to repair it was going to be done free of cost for a period of ten years from initial in service date. It's best if you take it to them and let them repair it at no cost to you.

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions