GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 10:33 PM
GuyHoozdis
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder...

Acrad, all those questions about the fuel system and reference posts about problems with the fuel gauge have inspired me to be sure that I'm sure. I'm going to go get fill a gas can and put that needle above the 1/4th mark. That way there is no question that this issue has been ruled out.
Old 04-27-19, 02:21 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Sure you aren't hearing of the electro/hydraulic master cylinder on start attempts? Fuel pump is in-tank.

On the key... I meant if you had any other FOBs/key.

Do you just have the single FOB for vehicle?

There isn't a way to start the vehicle with the physical key. That is for the door if the FOB battery dies. You can place FOB on starter button if FOB battery is dead to start vehicle.

You probably came across this in FSM but attached is the fuel pump active test with Techstream. These are a little deceiving because we only have the in-tank fuel filter and this model shows the eurasian & middle eastern markets which have a filter under the hood. It does appear there isn't a Schradrer valve at least in the FSM. I've never looked for one in mine. It would appear to do a fuel pressure test you would need to disconnect the fuel line and put gauge in-line.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FuelPumpTest.pdf (72.0 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Acrad; 04-27-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-27-19, 07:04 AM
John00
Racer

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyHoozdis

In that particular picture, I was trying to see how it changed the readings on the Techstream output if I removed the MAF. I tried several scenarios. This was one of the last ones I tried as I explored how the Techstream output might convey that I had a compression problem. If you look in the PDF attached to an earlier post, the throughput for the MAF seems odd; however, I am not entirely sure what "normal" looks like because I'm a noob with the Techstream. Unless I have a reason to have specific components disconnected, then I would only try to start the car when the entire engine is put together and connected. Sorry for the confusing / misleading image that I shared.

It is interesting that you mention this. Did I mention earlier in this thread that the throttle body motor will make a buzzing sound sometimes? It doesn't always happen and I'm not entirely convinced that it isn't an artifact of the battery wearing down slightly during my attempts to start the car. I'm not sure what to think of it! I was trying to use my copy of Techstream to capture some data around this event, just the other day, but Techstream kept crashing. Eventually I gave up trying to capture data while it was in that error state, I cycled the ignition state, and then Techstream was able to perform the very same scan that was previously crashing. I'm continuing to look into this.

I did not read closely enough.
I had a similar problem, the valves and the throttle body.
theres some sense on the air filter housing that prevents start with a certain size air leak, some vacuum cant be read or something like that. maybe that sensor wire is not working or the sensor broken.
theres a way to manually adjust the TB position in techstream. You can use a voltmeter at the connector at the same time to measure resistances/voltages. there's 2 independent pots I think.
if not connecting a voltmeter, you can adjust it with the engine off and hear it make noise as it moves, but you wont be able to tell if the pot feedback is sending a bad value except maybe with a scanner or TS, which i believe will both use the same sense circuit so this could be a potential problem. the VM will give separate feedback.
Old 04-27-19, 03:57 PM
GuyHoozdis
Rookie

Talking

!!! VERY IMPORTANT !!!

I recommend describing this issue, to those in our lives that ask "what was the problem", thusly; "It was the fuel gauge! As I went through the checklist, trying to determine which aspect of the system was at fault, I eventually proved that it was that component that was failing."

To the layperson, that more accurately conveys what was actually done. In contrast, consider if you simply said:

Spoiler

That will betray your effort, your skill, and your reputation with said layperson.
The following 2 users liked this post by GuyHoozdis:
Acrad (04-27-19), tecman (04-27-19)
Old 04-27-19, 04:07 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 598 Posts

HA HA!! so all is good now?
Old 04-27-19, 05:19 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Wow.... so was your gauge reading at 1/8-1/4 and actually empty? The defective fuel gauge sending unit below 1/8 tank issue?
Old 04-27-19, 05:38 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Hopefully you can now get reimbursed from Lexus for the parts you purchased for the air pump system failure.
Old 04-27-19, 09:06 PM
GuyHoozdis
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Wow.... so was your gauge reading at 1/8-1/4 and actually empty? The defective fuel gauge sending unit below 1/8 tank issue?
That's what it looks like. I tell you, it was touching the 1/4 tick the day that I read about that issue and then looked at my gauge. Touching the bottom side of that tick mark, but clearly touching.

Hopefully you can now get reimbursed from Lexus for the parts you purchased for the air pump system failure.
I feel pretty good about getting that to go my way. I believe I read about another person on this forum that had a similar experience. I think the key is to have used OEM parts. The only after market part I had was the pump, so I put the old pump back in and have been doing some testing today. Admittedly, a significant portion of that testing is learning about TS and looking for the most stable and useful configuration that I can find for that tool.

I knew that there should be a fuel pump test in the FSM somewhere, but I was still thumbing through the TOC and sections looking for it when I saw your post. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (04-27-19)
Old 04-27-19, 09:17 PM
GuyHoozdis
Rookie

Originally Posted by tecman
HA HA!! so all is good now?
Well, pretty good. I think everything is within reach and that, with a little mindfulness about fuel level when driving, I can make the car safe enough to use for running errands while I procure parts for the fuel gauge issue. It's not a carefree-let's-take-a-road-trip level of confidence, but it's functional and that is A LOT better than what I was facing just a few days ago.

All-in-all, I'm feeling good about the situation. There is still work to be done, but I'm able to wrap my head around the path to fix it now.
Old 05-14-19, 08:25 AM
Atokee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your post. do you know what years apply to this recall?
Old 05-14-19, 08:37 AM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Atokee
Post #13 in this thread has a scan of the letter regarding the extension of coverage from Lexus. Mines a 2013 and they fixed it under the extension at 132k miles just the other week.
Old 05-14-19, 03:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Atokee
FYI: It's a warranty extension so you can't get it repaired until it fails. 10 years from warranty inception date on 10-13 models and mileage limits do not apply.
Old 05-14-19, 03:47 PM
Atokee
Driver School Candidate

thx so much!
Old 05-14-19, 03:47 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 598 Posts

FYI: It's a warranty extension so you can't get it repaired until it fails. 10 years from warranty inception date on 10-13 models and mileage limits do not apply.
Mileage limit is 150K unless I missed something? It is in the the thread title and on the warranty doc shown.
Old 05-14-19, 03:48 PM
Atokee
Driver School Candidate

thx for the reply!

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions