GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 04:25 PM
John00
Racer

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryfrench
Update: Code was covered by the warranty! They tried to say that I had a TPMS light on and needed to replace a sensor (light wasn't on when I dropped it off, and I don't have one now that I picked it up) and tried to get me to replace spark plugs and drive belt (it's time, will have that done later), but was able to leave without paying a dime. Thanks, Tecman, for the reassurance!

many codes reset after a certain count of reads are good. these codes are still stored in the car but you won't see them if they happened then self reset before you bought the vehicle.
the standard cheapie obd2 might not show them all.
connecting to the gx with the pc software lets you see more areas of info including more codes, real-time data, reset options etc.
the dealer can see more than the regular obd2
The following users liked this post:
Ryfrench (06-27-19)
Old 06-28-19, 11:20 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Unplugging the pump probably will put you into limp mode so you might wanna hold off on that until you get a code reader you don’t already have one. I ran for quite a while with the pump unplugged so I don’t see why you couldn’t run indefinitely unless you need an emissions test.

A bit of an update and a request. I got a code reader and it is throwing P2445. I erased it. I found the plug, but am unsure exactly how to unplug it. Sorry to be so dense. I spoke with the local shop and they don't give me a ton of confidence that they will repair it properly. Currently waiting to hear from Lexus dealer about scheduling the repair. Lexus said they would pay for the $450 ferry ticket and up to two nights in a hotel.
Old 06-28-19, 11:36 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

IIRC... the release for the connector is on the bottom. One you push in the release the connector should just slide off.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10251512

Old 06-28-19, 11:58 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 598 Posts

Hold both sides and use your thumb to push down the clip and pull apart. I think there was a plastic piece securing the harness to the truck and I pulled it off to make it easier to deal with.

H

Acrad (06-28-19)
Old 06-30-19, 02:02 PM
LFIL
Rookie

Thanks Acrad 35751 and tecman. I couldn't get the tab to release to save my life. Started the car and no warning lights. It's been two days now, and several starts each day. I think the plan at this point if to wait and see if it happens again and then address.
Old 06-30-19, 02:17 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Sometimes electrical connectors like that need a little extra help with some pliers to release the tabs. You don't want to exert too much force though.

You have a code reader so reset the codes while running and that should keep it out of limp for that trip if problem shows up again. You would just have to do this potentially for every ignition cycle until core problem was fixed.
Old 06-30-19, 03:05 PM
LFIL
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Sometimes electrical connectors like that need a little extra help with some pliers to release the tabs. You don't want to exert too much force though.

You have a code reader so reset the codes while running and that should keep it out of limp for that trip if problem shows up again. You would just have to do this potentially for every ignition cycle until core problem was fixed.
Thanks, I'm reluctant to force it too much. I wasn't ever in limp home mode, and so far so good on throwing codes again. It sticks in my mind that somewhere I read about the system sensing excess moisture or something of that nature. The car spends its time outside, and the day we got the warning lights was a cool day with lots of rain and 110% humidity. I wonder if that had something to do with it, although the filter is clearly gone...
Old 07-05-19, 08:20 AM
stretton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reset the codes a few weeks ago and went into limp mode yesterday. My new code reader gave me P0456 (again) - 'Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak)'.

I'm gonna give Lexus of Bellevue one more shot at diagnosing the root cause today - I'm not too optimistic though. Maybe for a piece of mind, I'll get a new OEM cap even though the service history said it was replaced not too long ago.
Old 07-15-19, 10:23 AM
stretton
Driver School Candidate

So, the dealership again couldn't find anything wrong but said that if I replace the evap cannister the issue should go away. The prior owner claims to have already done the canister/purge valve, and gas cap replaced not too long ago, so I am skeptical to move forward.

Wife started up the car this morning and the light show happened - every two weeks like clockwork. We don't drive this car every day, maybe 3-4 days a week. Any other suggestions out there?
Old 07-15-19, 04:26 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Wild guesses at this point but this might be worth looking at.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...m-testing.html

Did you see anything in the Lexus service history that would indicate any work related to the fuel system, pump, etc?
Old 07-16-19, 08:26 AM
stretton
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, that is actually pretty helpful. Based on what has already been done, I think getting all the hoses replaced may be my best/cheapest bet to start. I see you're in WA - do you by chance know of any good shops in the Seattle area, or do you think Lexus/Toyota dealership would be a better bet?
Below are some service notes from the past related to fuel & evap systems:
Current Mileage: 93,300
Service @ 90,158:
GUEST STATES THAT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. CODES FOR EVAP LEAKS. GUEST HAD THE CHARCOAL CANISTER, GAS CAP, AND PURGE VALVE REPLACED. THE LIGHT ONLY SEEMS TO COME ON WHEN THE GAS TANK IS OVER 3/4 FULL. CODES THAT WERE IN THE SYSTEM ARE: C1201, P0456, ~ ~RAN CODE TEST, FOUND P0456 IN HISTORY. CLEARED CDOES AND PERFORMED EVAP SYSTEM TEST-FAILED. RAN TIS, FOUND LSB.0040. 10. COMPARED PART NUMBER TO INSTALLED CHARCOAL CANISTER-SAME INSPECTED FUEL CAP AND EVAP LINES, FOUND CRACKED/LOOSE FIT OF FUEL VAPOR LINE ~ ~R/R BOTH PURGE VAVLE VAPOR HOSES WITH NEW CLAMPS. CLEARED CODE AND RETESTED-FAILED P0456. CONNECTED SMOKE MACHINE TO VEHICLE AND INSPECTED EVAP SYSTEM FOR LEAKS, NO VISUAL LEAKS FOUND AT THIS TIME. FURTHER DIAGNOSIS REQUIRED.

Service: 83,910
GENERAL DIAGNOSIS ~ ~C/S: 4LO LIGHT BLINKING, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON, AND TRAC LIGHT ON ~ ~ ~ ~83910 PERFORMED HEALTH CHECK, DTC STORED P0455 EVAP LEAK (GROSS LEAK). FOUND GAS CAP LOOSE. PERFORMED EVAP TEST, PASSE

Service: 83,061
FUEL SENDING UNIT ~ ~VEHICLE HAD DIED, LIKE OUT OF GAS EVEN WHEN SAYING THERE WAS AN 1/8 TANK LEFT. ON PREVIOUS VISIT CUSTOMER HAD 3/4 TANK AND TESTING SHOWED ALL OK. VEHICLE NOW HAS 49 MILES LEFT EMPTY AND NOT MUCH ON GUAGE. PLS CHECK AND ADVISE ON TANK LEVEL FOR VEHICLE. ~ ~ ~ ~83061 RAN VEHICLE TILL FUEL TANK WAS EMPTY, VERIFIED VEHICLE RUNS OUT OF GAS APROX. 1/16 ON FUEL GAUGE. VERIFIED OPERATION OF FUEL GAUGE VIA TECHSTREAM. REPLACED FUEL SENDING UNIT AND VERIFIED OPERATION

Service: 82,893
GENERAL DIAGNOSIS ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES HAS RUN OUT OF GAS TWO TIMES NOW WHEN TANK IS SHOWING AN 1/8 LEFT .... ADVISE PLS..HAS AFTERMARKET WARRANTY ~ ~ ~ ~82893 PERFORMED TEST AND SCANS AND ALL READING GOOD AT THIS TIME. SHOWING ACCURACY FOR SYSTEM AND WHERE FUEL IS ON GUAGE AT THIS TIME. NO FAULTS FOUND. VEHICLE IS SITTING AT APPROX. 3/4 FULL .... MAY RETURN FOR FURTHER TESTING WHEN AT APPROX. 1/8 TANK LEF

Last edited by stretton; 07-16-19 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 02:53 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

The replacement of the fuel pump and tank has to be dropped are suspect.

You might try Greg's Japanese Auto. No personal experience but family and friends seem to be happy with the work.

https://www.gregs.com/
Old 07-16-19, 03:16 PM
stretton
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! There's a downtown location super close to me. I'll get in touch with them to hopefully get this resolved. In the meantime, I can use the code reader I purchased to reset the codes - which is about 100 times more convenient than disconnecting the battery.
Acrad (07-16-19)
Old 07-16-19, 03:18 PM
John00
Racer

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts

check whatever sensor/controller/monitor input is used. that could be faulty and causing all the problems
Old 07-17-19, 09:13 AM
stretton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John00
check whatever sensor/controller/monitor input is used. that could be faulty and causing all the problems
How would I go about doing that? I live in the city and don't have a great DIY set up.

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions