GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 01:34 PM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

do you fill the fuel all the way then add more? this could cause problems although doesnt seem likely for an evap leak
seems a lot has already been looked at and changed, at 93000 miles it looks like there was a test failure, and they gave up?

did they check the air switching valves? the air fuel ratio sensors? the sensors are just an ohm meter check.
it looks like the 93000 mile test they ran was with separate equipment, but not sure.
i didnt see anything about the purge valve or pcv valve

any hoses connected to any of the system could be a culprit, often theres 2 problems so its difficult to solve
if it leaks out, then a squirt bottle with properly aimed soapy water can find leaks
for in or out, then something like a mensor tester could be used, but most people dont have access
heres a few pics of the air paths

Old 07-19-19, 11:37 AM
CobraSpdRH
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stretton
I just bought a 2010 GX 460 base with 92k miles a few weeks ago. I got a pre-inspection done at a Toyota dealership and immediately had the secondary air injection pump recall performed at my local Lexus dealership. Within just a week it went into limp mode. I took it in and the following codes appeared: P0441, P0455, P0456. The dealership said it was not related to the recall service.Then - just yesterday - limp mode again. The service center was closed due to memorial day, so I just disconnected the negative terminal on the battery and reconnected it which did the trick.

I'm hoping this won't become an ongoing issue, but I have to think that it will since it has happened twice within the last couple weeks. Anyone else have any ideas/words of comfort?
Not to hi-jack, but I have a 2010 also and I was going to reach out to Lexus about the recall. So they performed it at no charge just because it is a 2010 and it is an official recall in their system? I haven't received a later or anything so wondering how hard of a time it will be to get this done. I did the bypass so would have to undo it before taking it in.

Good luck with sorting everything out, when I bought mine about a year ago I was chasing some codes and ended up replacing the entire valve body in the transmission, huge pain and $$$ but it runs great now! Code reader is a good investment!
Old 07-19-19, 11:41 AM
CobraSpdRH
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Bumping this up, have any other 2010 owners taken theirs in and had this performed? I haven't received an official letter, but I have registered the truck to me on My Lexus and I'm just wondering if I can call them up and by virtue of having a 2010 they will do the recall? Or is it based off of your VIN?

I did the aftermarket air filter swap to be safe, but have the original parts to put it back to stock if I take it in.
Old 07-19-19, 03:54 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,404 Posts

2010 models so far can apparently be fixed by request of owner. I imagine other years will be added as the current 10 year warranty extension expires.
Old 07-23-19, 09:15 AM
stretton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah - when I got my pre-purchase inspection done at a Toyota dealership, they told me it was a new recall notice and letters hadn't even been sent out yet. You should have zero issues with them complying to the recall even if you haven't gotten a letter.
Old 07-26-19, 08:56 AM
stretton
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys - I just wanted to provide the latest - in case anyone is still interested. I replaced the cap with an OEM cap and the next day the code blew -so it is not the gas cap for sure.

I got in touch with Greg's Japanese Auto in Seattle. I walked them through the issue and they originally said it's probably the charcoal canister, but it could also be like 9 other things. They first recommended coming into their shop for a diagnostic which could take 2hrs and would cost like $250 bucks, but since I told him I already did that twice at the Lexus dealership he suggested trying something else which would help him diagnose the problem. He recommended I fill up the tank all the way, track the exact mileage until the codes blow again. As soon as the codes blow, go fill up the tank again without resetting the codes and drive it around for a while in limp mode to see if the codes clear on their own.

So I guess I'm gonna give that a try. I didn't think the car could take itself out of limp mode, but we'll see what happens I suppose. Anybody tried this or even heard of this diagnostic method?
Old 07-26-19, 09:00 AM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

codes can reset after a few cycles of the sensor showing good. theyll still be in memory but wont be displayed to the driver on the dash
never heard of anyone trying this while in limp mode but thats not saying it wont work
Old 07-26-19, 04:56 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 891 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by stretton
Hey guys - I just wanted to provide the latest - in case anyone is still interested. I replaced the cap with an OEM cap and the next day the code blew -so it is not the gas cap for sure.

I got in touch with Greg's Japanese Auto in Seattle. I walked them through the issue and they originally said it's probably the charcoal canister, but it could also be like 9 other things. They first recommended coming into their shop for a diagnostic which could take 2hrs and would cost like $250 bucks, but since I told him I already did that twice at the Lexus dealership he suggested trying something else which would help him diagnose the problem. He recommended I fill up the tank all the way, track the exact mileage until the codes blow again. As soon as the codes blow, go fill up the tank again without resetting the codes and drive it around for a while in limp mode to see if the codes clear on their own.

So I guess I'm gonna give that a try. I didn't think the car could take itself out of limp mode, but we'll see what happens I suppose. Anybody tried this or even heard of this diagnostic method?
I have experienced this does happen even while driving. When I was in limp mode for the secondary air intake I used the Carista app to scan and clear the codes while driving and I got out of limp mode.
Old 08-16-19, 09:49 AM
BCritter
10th Gear

Hi all, have been following this thread for a while now and today when I started my car I got the CEL, 4lo flashing and trac off. I’m out of town visiting family but did call the nearest dealer (Lexus of Shreveport Bossier City) and they said it was most likely the secondary air pump and they’d get the parts ordered to fix it. While talking to the service advisor I learned 2 things.
1. This is now an open recall...he didn’t say what years but mine is a 2012
2. Once an issue becomes an open recall they no longer stock the parts and parts have to be ordered using the VIN number.....which would be a real issue for anybody traveling....luckily this should work with my current travel plans.
Old 08-16-19, 12:08 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Looks like as of August 8th an '11-'13 service campaign went out.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...safety-recalls

Old 08-16-19, 03:06 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BCritter
2. Once an issue becomes an open recall they no longer stock the parts and parts have to be ordered using the VIN number.....which would be a real issue for anybody traveling....luckily this should work with my current travel plans.
Why is this, inventory can not be assigned to a VIN number? This just seems to add an additional frustration if you need to wait for parts.

Good to hear it worked out for you BCritter
Old 08-16-19, 03:34 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Got an appt at local Lexus dealer... they are taking mine in Monday..first one in WA state under this new 8/8 campaign . Very clear from dealer this didn't require a failure ... while I don't think this is going recall ...service advisor considered it as such. Told me they will need vehicle 3-4 days but hearing others who had repairs in the past know it will be far shorter than that.
Old 08-16-19, 04:34 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Yeah unless you are a lower priority with their work load. With you being the first do you have confidence with this dealer?

So with a questionable recall I’m guessing no gas fill up.

Would it be worthwhile to ask for the original parts? With a proven bad overall system and questionable future proof replacement why not have the functional spare parts?
Old 08-16-19, 07:38 PM
BCritter
10th Gear

Tecman - I'm not sure why that is....the service advisor expressed quite the frustration.....he's frustrated he doesn't have the parts on hand to do the repair and I would be very frustrated if I was traveling and had this happen as the parts are expected to take 3-4 days to arrive. Luckily I'm back home visiting family and they have a spare vehicle and I wasn't planning on heading back home until late next week anyway. Advisor said anytime there was a recall, they were no longer allowed to stock those parts- he and I both thought that was pretty dumb. I'm not happy this happened but I will be glad to have this repair completed and no longer have that worry in the back of my mind.
Old 08-17-19, 07:01 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

It is the same dealer that replaced my water pump under powertrain warranty and performed the air bag recall. I'm fine with working with them. I didn't get a tank fill up with my airbag recall either.

They may need to send the old parts back for disposal. I spent 5-10 minutes yesterday pulling the UNI filter off and putting back in the stock setup with foam. I plan to setup again without foam and UNI after the work is done. I'm more concerned with getting those old air switching valves swapped out.

I'll go Hewitt bypass in future if this replacement system fails. There is some indication this might be a partial versus full replacement of parts. I will keep everyone posted on what they do.

Originally Posted by tecman
Yeah unless you are a lower priority with their work load. With you being the first do you have confidence with this dealer?

So with a questionable recall I’m guessing no gas fill up.

Would it be worthwhile to ask for the original parts? With a proven bad overall system and questionable future proof replacement why not have the functional spare parts?

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions