GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-19, 03:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

I took mine in today because of this new 8/8/19 campaign.

Repair can now be performed on demand without a failure.

Service Writer said.... "this should have been a recall years ago"

'19 RX 350 loaner right now... might be a day or two before I get my GX back.

Inspection didn't find a single area of concern.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (08-19-19)
Old 08-19-19, 04:08 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

It's good that Lexus starts to do this for those that didn't have failure Do you know if the campaign ends at certain year?
Old 08-19-19, 04:10 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Not sure how long this will run for... currently 10-13 models. If these fixes fail on me in the future I will just get a Hewitt Tech bypass.
bbqsoup (08-19-19)
Old 08-22-19, 02:11 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Got it back today.. it was actually done yesterday evening (missed the call)

Looks like they are now only replacing the full pump if it ingested the foam, locked up, and/or burned out.

On mine they replaced the valves, top cover of air pump (assume new foam inside) and the extra outer shield. I'll remove the foam and put the UNI back on external area next week.

PN: 04006-37138 Kit, Air Switch V

PN: 04008-3520C Repair Kit, Air Pump

Last edited by Acrad; 08-23-19 at 07:49 PM.
John00 (08-23-19)
Old 08-23-19, 10:24 AM
MBF
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have to schedule mine. I don't have the foam anymore, I will have to put the mushroom cap back on beforehand without it.
Old 08-23-19, 12:45 PM
HewittTech
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
If one goes with a Hewitt-Tech bypass.... if you buy a kit with the pump proxy pack the air pump can also be removed. This might be helpful for off-roaders looking for extra space in the engine bay. IE: secondary battery, air compressor, etc

https://www.hewitt-tech.com/store/in...ct_detail&p=47

I notice they support through '14 - 460s now

Thanks for the support and link back.
We also just released our Gen-II units for all of the GX460 (as well as all 4.6L, 5.7L and 4.0L vehicles up to the current model year). We will soon be removing GX460's from the V5 listing in favor of the Gen-II units.
The Gen-II units do not care about the pump motor being bad and unlike our previous units it can be removed without the need for a Pump Proxy Pack to replace it. Instead of simply preventing the system from running we are emulating the system y replacing the air injection control driver with our own unit. After the first time the ECM commands the system to run the SAIS emissions monitor will even show that the system is ready/complete. The kit and vehicle does still need at least one good pressure sensor in one of the factory air switching valves to function. If you have two damaged pressure sensors or you want to also remove both air switching valves you can add a Pressure Sensor Option to the kit and remove the entire system. You can literally remove the entire system, pumps, plumbing and air swicthing valves and the truck won't even know.
Installation couldn't be easier on the GX460. Replace the factory AID with the Gen-II unit and connect to the factory harness of the two air switching valves and install the block off plates and you are done. Only tools needed are a Phillips screwdriver and a 10mm ratchet or wrench.
Like our other kits the Gen-II units are still for off-road or competition use only and not legal for street use.

Kits are $450 and include the Gen-II unit, harness, block off plates, free Priority Mail shipping and include full technical support and our Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Please Call Toll Free 844-307-7671 or email us Directly Support@hewitt-tech.com with any questions.
Hewitt Technologies Inc. Gen-II SAIS Bypass Kits

The following 3 users liked this post by HewittTech:
Acrad (08-23-19), bbqsoup (08-23-19), tecman (08-23-19)
Old 08-26-19, 07:06 PM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about SAIS. I did a search but didn’t get an answer.

Hi Lexus family,
I have a 2010 Lexus GX 460 Premium and love it. In an effort to bulletproof the SAIS I remove the foam from the pump and added an UNI filter. The foam from the previous filter had not degraded, and had not been sucked into the pump. Initially I felt lucky that I had prevented if failure to the system. Today I got all of the warning lights on the dash indicating the SAIS system failure. Specifically it says that a circuit is open in the error code. Because TECman published a workaround to get it out of limp mode I was on able to unplug the SAIS and drive normal speeds. I live in Bend Oregon and have to drive over the cascade Mountains to get to Portland to a Lexus dealer. So thank you for your advice TECman.

I am guessing that the motor that drives the SAIS pump has failed, but I’m hoping for some feedback from the group before I drive over the mountains Wednesday morning. I am taking it to Kuni Lexus.

Should I take it out and make sure the fan is inoperable or just suck it up and have Lexus do everything for me. I prefer to be a DIY guy but since warranty covers this I am on the fence about moving forward.

I do plan on the bypass kit once Lexus repairs it.
Old 08-26-19, 07:13 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I think it’s a good idea put back the origin foam and bring it to Lexus and have them replace it instead of messing with it. They could point a finger at you.
Old 08-26-19, 07:17 PM
John00
Racer

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts

part of the fix is a SW change. this purges the system im pretty sure.
there are some tube changes, maybe the clamps dont remember anymore
i dont think theres been any issues once the fix is done so most likely wont need the bypass afterwards

circuit open or valve stuck open?
Old 08-26-19, 07:25 PM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
part of the fix is a SW change. this purges the system im pretty sure.
there are some tube changes, maybe the clamps dont remember anymore
i dont think theres been any issues once the fix is done so most likely wont need the bypass afterwards

circuit open or valve stuck open?
It says circuit is open, sorry but the guy who did the OBD reading was quite dismissive. Not going there again. So I don’t have the code.

Also I don’t have the filter anymore. So that’s the real concern I have. Will they mess with me and charge a lot for the service and deny the claim? I would rather purchase the bypass kit and not get screwed by Lexus for some goofy reason like a filter.
Old 08-27-19, 03:11 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I thought I remember a few commenting in the major threads of no issues with replacement with foam missing and evens UNI installed. Also thought I remember reimbursement for work and parts done at a 3rd party shop. Not aware of a software change on 10-13 but need to look at TSB again. There is a reprogram TSB for ‘14+ for some icing issue.
Old 08-27-19, 02:41 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I thought I remember a few commenting in the major threads of no issues with replacement with foam missing and evens UNI installed. Also thought I remember reimbursement for work and parts done at a 3rd party shop. Not aware of a software change on 10-13 but need to look at TSB again. There is a reprogram TSB for ‘14+ for some icing issue.
Right. There's a good chance that they'll either not look, not care or assume it got sucked in.
Acrad (08-27-19)
Old 08-27-19, 03:44 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I will definitely go with one of the Hewitt Tech units if this replacement fails on me.

Pulled out the new foam today and reinstalled the UNI filter. That plastic cover as seen in other posts fits back on with no issues as well.
Old 08-27-19, 04:45 PM
MBF
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

They just put the crappy piece of foam back in there? I just dropped mine off this morning and they think they will have it until Friday. Guess I will put the UNI filter back on also when I get it back. I thought they actually changed something with the OEM system.
Old 08-27-19, 04:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

No. They replaced items in post 213 above on mine. The only item not replaced was the bottom half of the air pump with the electric motor. The top cover with new foam were only items added to the air pump. Everything else in system was replaced on mine.

Even though foam is replaced there are ridges on the new cap now that I suppose would reduce the chances of a water logged foam filter from moving as easily into fan blade.. Tecman has pics of it in one of the two major air pump threads here on this forum.

Last edited by Acrad; 08-27-19 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions