GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 10:04 AM
MBF
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got mine back this morning. I'll have to take a look this weekend to see what they actually swapped out. The receipt just said "air pump kit". I'll probably put the Uni filter back on too.

I have never been so happy to see my GX after spending 3 days with a loaner 2019 RX 350. I hated that. The infotainment is terrible. I wasn't super happy having the climate controls in the touchscreen on mine but I'll never complain again now.
Old 08-30-19, 04:08 PM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the GX back repaired and running well again. They didn’t care that the mod had been done. According to the service guy I did the right thing to preserve the system. Basically it made sense.

All installed parts included the pump, lines, and valves. So I’m stoked.
The following 2 users liked this post by Agarakon:
Acrad (08-30-19), tecman (08-30-19)
Old 09-09-19, 05:06 AM
sivert55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

General recall

update on my Lexus. Mine had already been repaired but I still received a notice in the mail yesterday from Lexus describing humidity in the secondary air injection system. They described the waterlogged gaskets in the air switching valves to a t. They also described the foam pre-filter in on top of the pump as having the disintegration problem and ruining the pump fan blades. They said the warranty would apply to all 2011 through 2013 models. It looks like there must have been enough cases of it that they just had to expand it across the board. You should no longer need to call Lexus and request the service. You should now be able to drive to your dealership and have it replaced for free.
Old 09-09-19, 08:21 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

If you registered your VIN on drivers.lexus.com, it should show recall status alert for your model year. But for 2010, you could just call them up and make an appointment.
Old 09-09-19, 01:39 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,404 Posts

I had mine done back on 8/22
Old 09-09-19, 04:54 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

I had mine done today, 2 hours and a free loaner(2019 GX). I never experienced any issues but couldn’t see a reason to not have it done.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (09-09-19)
Old 09-19-19, 05:00 PM
xplorr
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for posting the service campaign. They did the full replacement for me. I had done the uni filter mod previously, they didn't mention it and I didn't mention it.
[correction, pump itself was not replaced see post #220]

Last edited by xplorr; 09-20-19 at 09:56 AM. Reason: correction
Acrad (09-19-19)
Old 09-20-19, 09:16 AM
MBF
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine "done" a couple weeks ago. They had my GX for three days and called me to tell me it was done. I picked it up and that night went to put the uni filter back on. I didn't have the new plastic housing so I opened the top to confirm my suspicions. I took it in wioth the original mushroom cap but no foam inside as I tossed it a while ago. There was still no foam, so they did nothing. Called and complained since they had my car for 3 days and did nothing. Had to bring it back in. Supposedly they did the repair this time but I'm pretty sure all they did was put the new piece of foam inside and put the outer plastic housing on.

Oh well.
Old 09-20-19, 09:48 AM
xplorr
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I still need to get in there to inspect their work, but as the service campaign says, the default is replacing the air switching valves and the foam filter. The actual pump is only replaced as needed, and they did not replace my pump, so I need to see what they did filter wise, because the outer air intake baffle was missing on mine because I broke it when I did the uni filter mod. Service statement has 04006-37138 Air Switching valves ($418 list) and 04008-3520C Air pump repair kit ($32 list). The latter would just be the foam filter and maybe a gasket or something. The air pump itself would be another high-dollar line item, probably part number 17610-0C040 ($680 list) and I am not sure what inspection results would cause them to replace that also. I'd be curious to know if anyone is getting the pump replaced for free proactively without a failure or trouble code.
Old 09-20-19, 11:50 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

That air pump kit is a new top cap with ridges inside that I assume is supposed to hold onto the foam tighter, new outer cover that wasn't previously on there as well as the internal foam.

3rd party pumps are pretty cheap so not gonna worry about it. That would be an easy thing to swap as well.
Old 09-20-19, 01:04 PM
joshmv
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new to Lexus and just bought a '13 GX with 105k miles. I've read most of this thread and I'm still really confused on what to do.

I bought the uni-filter to do this mod but it hasn't arrived yet... https://www.metaltech4x4.com/blog/le...d-the-unimod-/

I see the service campaign on Lexus.com for my VIN. Should I go in and let them do the "fix", and then do the uni-filter mod? I'm in a state without emissions testing so is it better to just get a bypass kit?
Old 09-20-19, 01:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I'd save yourself the cost of the bypass for now.

• I'd schedule to have work done at Lexus. The failure of replacement valves would be years and years out.

• Pull the foam

• Put UNI on

Originally Posted by joshmv
I'm new to Lexus and just bought a '13 GX with 105k miles. I've read most of this thread and I'm still really confused on what to do.

I bought the uni-filter to do this mod but it hasn't arrived yet... https://www.metaltech4x4.com/blog/le...d-the-unimod-/

I see the service campaign on Lexus.com for my VIN. Should I go in and let them do the "fix", and then do the uni-filter mod? I'm in a state without emissions testing so is it better to just get a bypass kit?
joshmv (09-20-19)
Old 09-20-19, 01:11 PM
joshmv
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I'd save yourself the cost of the bypass for now.

• I'd schedule to have work done at Lexus. The failure of replacement valves would be years and years out.

• Pull the foam

• Put UNI on
That sounds good, thanks for the help!
Old 09-26-19, 09:39 AM
Rufio
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Anyone had their pump replaced too?

Originally Posted by xplorr
I still need to get in there to inspect their work, but as the service campaign says, the default is replacing the air switching valves and the foam filter. The actual pump is only replaced as needed, and they did not replace my pump, so I need to see what they did filter wise, because the outer air intake baffle was missing on mine because I broke it when I did the uni filter mod. Service statement has 04006-37138 Air Switching valves ($418 list) and 04008-3520C Air pump repair kit ($32 list). The latter would just be the foam filter and maybe a gasket or something. The air pump itself would be another high-dollar line item, probably part number 17610-0C040 ($680 list) and I am not sure what inspection results would cause them to replace that also. I'd be curious to know if anyone is getting the pump replaced for free proactively without a failure or trouble code.
has anyone got the pump replaced? I’m considering waiting to see if it will fail. 13 with 85k.
Old 10-04-19, 09:17 PM
bert213
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Today was my turn, and my uni is still on....had it towed to the dealership. Let’s see how this goes...
Based on the thread, I should be covered just fine. [fingers crossed]

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions