GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

"What did you do to your..." thread?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 04:16 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
On the F-Sport grille....Is it fairly sturdy? Concerned a rock could take it out easily. From those that already have installed... How about washing difficulty?
It seems fairly sturdy, it would have to be a huge rock to take it out. Washing might be difficult if you hit a ton of bugs during a summer road trip... but nothing a pressure washer or the pressure washer at a car wash couldn't take care of.

Once I get my GX back from the body shop, I'll document the install process. A quick search of the forum shows that it is pretty easy... always better to document with photos though...
Old 09-15-17, 11:55 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
On the F-Sport grille....Is it fairly sturdy? Concerned a rock could take it out easily. From those that already have installed... How about washing difficulty?
Very sturdy have pressure washed/auto washes no problems watsoever.
Attached Thumbnails "What did you do to your..." thread?-photo382.jpg  
Old 09-22-17, 02:40 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Had the front end lifted another inch to level it after the suspension settled. Also have a shot of the front CV with the 3" lift on it. There is now a noticeable vibration after the extra inch lift, but that was kind of expected.

Old 09-23-17, 06:29 AM
Romanova
Racer

Put LEDs on one side of the running board and was pleased with how bright they are. Worked even better after I cleaned up the housing... will have to remember to periodically give them a wipe down. Now I'm waiting for the bulbs for the other side.
Also tackled the F-Sport grill install. Very straight forward. Just have to be careful with brittle plastics and take your time.
Old 09-23-17, 09:07 AM
Romanova
Racer

Got Techstream running, finally. Took a lot of back and forth and some Google power but it finally worked. Main goal was to get the sunroof and windows to open with the remote, which I accomplished straight away. I need to go back and turn off the chime for the door when it's open and also the seatbelt chime. Fun program... seems to take awhile to communicate with the car but that is probably my lousy old Netbook that I'm using.
Old 09-26-17, 09:53 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

The CV angle looks much better than I though with 3" lift. Hopefully the boots hold well and there's no intermittent shaking at speed due to the angle. That is one thing I'm dreaded with lift is the constant spinning of the boots rubbing each other and get torn up all the time.
The stance looks really nice!

Originally Posted by Nickk6
Had the front end lifted another inch to level it after the suspension settled. Also have a shot of the front CV with the 3" lift on it. There is now a noticeable vibration after the extra inch lift, but that was kind of expected.

Old 09-26-17, 09:56 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Got Techstream running, finally. Took a lot of back and forth and some Google power but it finally worked. Main goal was to get the sunroof and windows to open with the remote, which I accomplished straight away. I need to go back and turn off the chime for the door when it's open and also the seatbelt chime. Fun program... seems to take awhile to communicate with the car but that is probably my lousy old Netbook that I'm using.
Maybe different years have different feature but I didn't see where to turn off chime when the door is opened. The seat belt chime is under Warnings.
Old 09-28-17, 03:45 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I installed new LED bulbs for the rear turn signal indicators. I swore I wasn't going to do this, but after following my wife home (the GX is her's) it just looked so out of place having the old filament bulbs on our new ride. The ones I used were definitely plug-n-play. No resistors, no hyper-flash...very easy (about a ten minute job for both sides total). I will say the LED bulbs almost seem too bright, but I'll give it a couple of days and look again.

The video is shown with only the driver's side done. I thought I would compare the two before replacing the passenger side, but both are done now (of course).

Last edited by DallasDave; 09-28-17 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-28-17, 05:10 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
I installed new LED bulbs for the rear turn signal indicators. I swore I wasn't going to do this, but after following my wife home (the GX is her's) it just looked so out of place having the old filament bulbs on our new ride. The ones I used were definitely plug-n-play. No resistors, no hyper-flash...very easy (about a ten minute job for both sides total). I will say the LED bulbs almost seem too bright, but I'll give it a couple of days and look again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rzAELxBUXM

The video is shown with only the driver's side done. I thought I would compare the two before replacing the passenger side, but both are done now (of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn-PicN_AcE
I did the same and the LED is much bright. Which is OK. Not sure if you had also done the front turn signals. When I used four those non-resistor LED bulbs, it will trigger the hyper flash. I ended up using the one that with resistor for the front, because there are plenty rooms for mounting the resistors.
Old 09-29-17, 06:54 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Yep, I think I am going to just stay with the rear LED bulbs for now. So far no hyper-flash and/or any other problems.
Old 09-29-17, 08:36 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
The CV angle looks much better than I though with 3" lift. Hopefully the boots hold well and there's no intermittent shaking at speed due to the angle. That is one thing I'm dreaded with lift is the constant spinning of the boots rubbing each other and get torn up all the time.
The stance looks really nice!
I balanced my tires after installing the TPMS in them this week, surprisingly the vibration went away. Not sure why my wheels would be out of balance in 1500 miles, but doing 70 to 80mph on the freeway and it rides really smooth and comfortable.
Old 09-29-17, 02:22 PM
Niceface
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickk6
I balanced my tires after installing the TPMS in them this week, surprisingly the vibration went away. Not sure why my wheels would be out of balance in 1500 miles, but doing 70 to 80mph on the freeway and it rides really smooth and comfortable.
I just ordered the Stage 3.5 Radflo/Total Chaios lift from SSO the other day, and am going for a very similar look that you have.

http://www.southernstyleoffroad.com/...nsion-package/

Do you think 285/75/R17's would fit, or is that pushing the limits?
Old 09-29-17, 04:48 PM
Romanova
Racer

Got my GX a sibling. 06 LS430, one owner, 78K.

The following 2 users liked this post by Romanova:
FOGeologist (08-12-23), redacted (11-18-22)
Old 09-30-17, 11:22 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Niceface
I just ordered the Stage 3.5 Radflo/Total Chaios lift from SSO the other day, and am going for a very similar look that you have.

http://www.southernstyleoffroad.com/...nsion-package/

Do you think 285/75/R17's would fit, or is that pushing the limits?
I've heard good thing about the Radflo shock! Not sure I would go with that size unless you can get a real good deal or try them on first and make sure they don't rub too bad. Mine rub and its worse off road, but I could see the extra height hitting the body mounts. I look forward to seeing another lifted GX! I did a little light wheeling today and had a blast with the lift cranked up in front. I didn't take any pictures of the fun stuff, my gf is scared to drive and also doesn't want to get out and film, so unfortunately no good footage.

Last edited by Nickk6; 09-30-17 at 11:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (10-01-17)
Old 09-30-17, 11:55 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Romanova
Congrats on the new LS, 78k and 1 owner, that thing should last awhile.

Which Techstream did you go with? So many on amazon and ebay, not sure which one to get even after reading on here.

Quick Reply: "What did you do to your..." thread?