GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

"What did you do to your..." thread?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 06:19 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
much like you i am not a fan of the clear the lights. i tried to wrap them today in red vinyl with no success. i got 80% there but i cant seem to finish up the curve on the bottom. ill take it in and have a professional do it
The red does make it look better...... Now y’all have me thinking about getting some red tailights.

As for the wrap, did you use a heat source like a hair dryer for the curved edges? I haven’t done this for the tail lights , but I’d imagine it being a large screen protector.
Old 04-16-18, 06:00 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

much like you i am not a fan of the clear the lights. i tried to wrap them today in red vinyl with no success. i got 80% there but i cant seem to finish up the curve on the bottom. ill take it in and have a professional do it
I also had vinyl from bluebat and failed miserably at the install. Most shops were quoting around $100 to tint them but i didnt feel like having it ever peel off or fade. I also considered VHT'ing it red too but didnt want to screw up and ruin $250+ taillights.
I did tint the 3rd brake light darker so its almost unnoticeable up on the wing except when its sunny.
Old 04-16-18, 07:15 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl

The red does make it look better...... Now y’all have me thinking about getting some red tailights.

As for the wrap, did you use a heat source like a hair dryer for the curved edges? I haven’t done this for the tail lights , but I’d imagine it being a large screen protector.
I used a heat gun on low heat and far away. it helped and I was able to stretch it in spots but the way these lights are it was a pain. they curve up and down and side to side in one area. hard part is finding that perfect mixture of heat, too little and its pointless. too much and it ruins the vinyl.

@Black16 that's where I ordered mine too. a local shop quoted $150 for the vinyl wrap. I will call and see what just the labor cost will be. or chalk it up as a loss and stay with clears.
Old 04-16-18, 07:20 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

I used a heat gun on low heat and far away. it helped and I was able to stretch it in spots but the way these lights are it was a pain. they curve up and down and side to side in one area. hard part is finding that perfect mixture of heat, too little and its pointless. too much and it ruins the vinyl.

@Black16 that's where I ordered mine too. a local shop quoted $150 for the vinyl wrap. I will call and see what just the labor cost will be. or chalk it up as a loss and stay with clears.
gotcha! Looks like the best way is to buy the new taillights.

On that note, Does anyone know if TYC or Depo makes 3rd party taillights for the GX? I remember the 4Runners upgrading to the 14+ tails using those sources.
Old 04-16-18, 01:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Realized my cupholder LEDs weren't working this morning. I had left the connector disconnected one of the times I was looking or working on things in the console area. Nice easy fix.
Old 04-20-18, 10:33 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

If you work on door panels get this tool. It also good for working on those fender liners plastic push pins too. It's one super cheap tool to have
$1.38
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142722731570
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (04-20-18)
Old 04-20-18, 10:33 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Realized my cupholder LEDs weren't working this morning. I had left the connector disconnected one of the times I was looking or working on things in the console area. Nice easy fix.
I went and look and didn't see any LEDs in the cup holders on the 2010 LOL...
Old 04-20-18, 12:20 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I went and look and didn't see any LEDs in the cup holders on the 2010 LOL...
I think the two known unlisted changes from '11 to '12 were the lighted cupholders and the outside temperature display option on the center dashboard screen.

On product change sheet just "Color-keyed bodyside molding with chrome accent" and Fire Agate Pearl being a new color.

••I am correct on the temp display aren't I? I though '10 & '11 outside temp was just viewable in the climate control settings.
Old 04-20-18, 01:40 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I think the two known unlisted changes from '11 to '12 were the lighted cupholders and the outside temperature display option on the center dashboard screen.

On product change sheet just "Color-keyed bodyside molding with chrome accent" and Fire Agate Pearl being a new color.

••I am correct on the temp display aren't I? I though '10 & '11 outside temp was just viewable in the climate control settings.
You're correct. Outside temp can't be viewed on the center dashboard on '10 and '11. I wish it was a firmware upgrade to enable that but it looks like hardware was involve too.
Old 04-20-18, 04:08 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Clay bar, buff, polish, and ceramic

Last edited by MX5NES350; 04-20-18 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-22-18, 09:00 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 206 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Trying Prado Parts

Installed OEM Toyota Prado window visors. Fit is on point, with exception of clips, so adhesive only for me.

The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (04-24-18)
Old 04-24-18, 05:45 AM
simer86
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Clay bar, buff, polish, and ceramic
Was that all done by yourself?

If yes, how long did it take for complete process?
did you use cquartz UK or which ceramic coating?
How many layers of coats did you put?
Old 04-24-18, 07:37 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Originally Posted by simer86

Was that all done by yourself?

If yes, how long did it take for complete process?
did you use cquartz UK or which ceramic coating?
How many layers of coats did you put?
I cant speak for them but I can speak for waxing a car. its quite a simple process. I do a clay bar for the entire car, using a quick detailer as the lubricant. then a nice polish/glaze and a sealant. you only need to do one layer of sealant/wax. should take about 3-4 hours start to finish if doing by hand. unless you have a show car I don't see the need to spend the money on a buffer but that's my personal opinion.
if you want good stuff I suggest meguiars. it is worth the extra money for quality products.
do this twice a year and your car will stay looking good all year.
Old 04-24-18, 08:57 AM
simer86
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant speak for them but I can speak for waxing a car. its quite a simple process. I do a clay bar for the entire car, using a quick detailer as the lubricant. then a nice polish/glaze and a sealant. you only need to do one layer of sealant/wax. should take about 3-4 hours start to finish if doing by hand. unless you have a show car I don't see the need to spend the money on a buffer but that's my personal opinion.
if you want good stuff I suggest meguiars. it is worth the extra money for quality products.
do this twice a year and your car will stay looking good all year.
That's exactly what I been doing so far and getting great results. Using Meguiar's premium wax with the D pads and gives an awesome shine. However, certainly looking for a level up with ceramic coat and kind of like the shine of MX5NES350's

I believe ceramic coat gives better hydrophobic properties to the paint and help washing the car quickly. In other words, easy to maintain but not sure which product is best, is it feasible to complete this exercise at your own and how durable this coat would be?

Also, as folks say - this coat stays for 5 years though I take a real time number and assume 2-3 years. What happens after, will this affect the original paint shine or????
Old 04-24-18, 11:16 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Originally Posted by simer86
That's exactly what I been doing so far and getting great results. Using Meguiar's premium wax with the D pads and gives an awesome shine. However, certainly looking for a level up with ceramic coat and kind of like the shine of MX5NES350's

I believe ceramic coat gives better hydrophobic properties to the paint and help washing the car quickly. In other words, easy to maintain but not sure which product is best, is it feasible to complete this exercise at your own and how durable this coat would be?

Also, as folks say - this coat stays for 5 years though I take a real time number and assume 2-3 years. What happens after, will this affect the original paint shine or????
my car is white so I wont obtain the same shine. but mine is mirror like and looks great. (obviously I am bias)
5 years seems like marketing gimmick to be honest. I would never go that long between detailing. if you get a sealant like Meguiar’s #21 and do it twice a year your car will look great. its the clear coat you want to protect for the shine.
also be sure to wash your car with a high quality soap, I've been using their ultimate soap and wax for years now. I used to user their cheaper soaps and while they work, its not even half as good as this soap. this soap is just amazing with how well it cleans and shines. a bottle should last you a year + with weekly washing

Quick Reply: "What did you do to your..." thread?