GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

"What did you do to your..." thread?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 11:50 AM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkVII
Added an HKB Electronics Alternator Voltage Booster to keep the AGM battery at peak. The voltage at the battery went from 13.9/14 to 14.3/14.5. It appears the voltage is nearly the same via OBDLink.

Was not aware of this! Explains why my AGM battery died and had to do a warranty swap ~6 months after purchasing it. When did you order the HKB one? In the TacomaWorld forum, someone posted that it's taking 2-3 months shipping due to Covid-19.
Old 08-18-20, 11:52 AM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramacher
Was not aware of this! Explains why my AGM battery died and had to do a warranty swap ~6 months after purchasing it. When did you order the HKB one? In the TacomaWorld forum, someone posted that it's taking 2-3 months shipping due to Covid-19.
Looked at the "Alt-S fuse trick" mentioned here for a super easy solution:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l-battery.html
The following users liked this post:
Ramacher (08-18-20)
Old 08-18-20, 12:32 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by klinquist
Looked at the "Alt-S fuse trick" mentioned here for a super easy solution:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l-battery.html
From the TacomaWorld thread, some people are using a Ford Diode that cost ~$13. Gonna stop by a Ford dealership later today and see if they have it in stock.
Old 08-18-20, 01:46 PM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramacher
. . . that it's taking 2-3 months shipping due to Covid-19.
It was easily 2 months. I was ready to give up and it showed up in the mail. It's been solid (voltage wise) since installed.
Old 08-19-20, 10:43 AM
NothingNew
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

nuclearn8,

I like the idea of your front adapter, but am a bit concerned about the lat of overlap between the Compression Connector's nut and the 4" Square Cover's Receptacle cutout - there just doesn't seem to be a lot of engagement between the two.

Has this been a problem?

Brian
Old 08-19-20, 11:27 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by NothingNew
nuclearn8,

I like the idea of your front adapter, but am a bit concerned about the lat of overlap between the Compression Connector's nut and the 4" Square Cover's Receptacle cutout - there just doesn't seem to be a lot of engagement between the two.

Has this been a problem?

Brian
Nope. I agree there's isn't much engagement there but it's not load bearing, it's merely to keep the adapter centered on the top of the jack laterally (Side to side). I would love to find a way to make another version where the top surface was made of more rigid metal/material to better distribute the load more evenly across the frame rail. The thin plate I used still concentrates the load on the jack head contact area... it helps distribute, but not as much as I'd like or could be possible... that being said, I've used it 4 times in the garage with great success.
Old 08-19-20, 03:09 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

This week I bought:
  • Stick on Window visors on ebay at half the cost of weathertechs. Let's see how well they hold up.
  • 3 different styled front cameras from amazon
  • Cali raised ditch lights along with their 27w LED side spot lights.
    • Cali raised and Rago are the only 2 I know of that have ditch light brackets.
  • Cruiser Head Aux light switch to fit the blank for the ditch lights.
  • Magnaflow 11226 for a little more rumble.
  • Vinyl installation kit in preparation for some blackout trim.
Old 08-19-20, 06:57 PM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

New shoes for the GX.

Keirik (08-23-20)
Old 08-19-20, 11:26 PM
Philly01
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
This week I bought:
  • Stick on Window visors on ebay at half the cost of weathertechs. Let's see how well they hold up.
  • 3 different styled front cameras from amazon
  • Cali raised ditch lights along with their 27w LED side spot lights.
    • Cali raised and Rago are the only 2 I know of that have ditch light brackets.
  • Cruiser Head Aux light switch to fit the blank for the ditch lights.
  • Magnaflow 11226 for a little more rumble.
  • Vinyl installation kit in preparation for some blackout trim.
Are you happy with the Cali raised ditch lights? Also, was it easy to get the cables through the firewall into the cabin? Thanks!
Old 08-20-20, 07:39 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly01
Are you happy with the Cali raised ditch lights? Also, was it easy to get the cables through the firewall into the cabin? Thanks!
They should be arriving early next week; I'll report back once I get them. For the price, they seem to be decent based on the taco forum thread. There have been reports of moisture intrusion, but it has a 2 year warranty. These are most likely rebranded imports marked up. The Aukey pair on Amazon are very similar in design for $31. Some people on the taco forums say they are ridgid clones. If you wanted an amber look, the Rigid 32183 -DSS cover plates seem to fit after trimming the tabs, or apply laminx film.

For the past couple of months, I was set on getting Rago brackets and Diode Dynamic SS3 PRO yellow with either a SAE driving or SAE fog pattern. I had to be honest with myself... I probably would never fully utilize $400 worth of lights to its fullest potential.
Old 08-20-20, 07:50 AM
Philly01
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
They should be arriving early next week; I'll report back once I get them. For the price, they seem to be decent based on the taco forum thread.There have been reports of moisture intrusion, but it has a 2 year warranty. These are most likely rebranded imports marked up. The Aukey pair on Amazon are very similar in design for $31. Some people on the taco forums say they are ridgid clones. If you wanted an amber look, the Rigid 32183 -DSS cover plates seem to fit after trimming the tabs, or apply laminx film.

For the past couple of months, I was set on getting Rago brackets and Diode Dynamic SS3 PRO yellow with either a SAE driving or SAE fog pattern. I had to be honest with myself... I probably would never fully utilize $400 worth of lights to its fullest potential.
Thank you very much for the detailed update!!
Old 08-20-20, 04:44 PM
JoshDrivin
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ordered the auto mirror fold doo hicky.

Old 08-21-20, 04:55 PM
JoshDrivin
Driver

Ordered more stuff in preparation for my first service when Toyoro hits 100K. Stopped by one of the largest Lexus dealers in the area and asked about updating the NAV system, (Gen 6, I believe). Service advisor said can't do it 🤔. Quoted me $302 to do the 100K service 🤑. This forum has been a HUGE help 💪🏽

FOGeologist (08-12-23)
Old 08-21-20, 05:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Did they say why they couldn't update nav? There are some firmware fixes as well.

I had mine updated back in 2017

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...re-update.html
Old 08-21-20, 05:18 PM
JoshDrivin
Driver

Originally Posted by Acrad
Did they say why they couldn't update nav?
Nope, Sebastian @ Pembroke Pines Lexus, FL just shook his head and looked at me with a "why would you want to do that?" look 🤨 He was busy and wanted to move on. Maybe a visit on a Tuesday or Wednesday will yield a different result 🤷🏽‍♂️

Stuff I missed on the previous upload;

Quick Reply: "What did you do to your..." thread?