GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

"What did you do to your..." thread?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 02:26 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Just my seasonal tire swap... put the winters on today and reprogrammed TPMS with TS.

The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (11-14-20)
Old 11-14-20, 02:41 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

• Pushed my front fender liners forward to clear the wheels.
  • changed the cabin filter with a Fram CF10285 and pointed the arrow downwards as per the “air flow” arrow
  • changed the engine filter with: WIX 49350
  • Upon closer inspection I realized my front bumper has been essentially sandblasted/pitted. Oh well..
nuclearn8 (11-14-20)
Old 11-16-20, 09:17 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Took out my AFe Dry air filter and gave it a few taps on the concrete to loose up some of the dust. Then reinstalled.
Swap out my washable cabin filter with another - I have 3 and swap between the GX and the Camry.
Replaced windshield wipers with OEM refills

I probably will put a bottle of Techron or Redline Fuel cleaner in my next tank ready for the winter.
Old 11-17-20, 12:41 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 287 Likes on 171 Posts

Just got this one on Sunday. Took off factory grill and put on the F-Sport grill and blacked out the Lexus emblem. Had it tinted with the best three layer ceramic yesterday.

Just ordered the Prado rear gate emblem and will get one for the front as well. I like to blend in and Toyotas blend in better. The GX came from the original owner, garage kept since new and two sets of wheels. The OEM wheels and these. I like these as they are a bit more rugged looking. Drives great. My wife’s GX has every option but this one does not. I miss the back up camera lines, the power fold mirrors, height adjustable suspension as well. This thing is impeccable though. Other than the front bumper that needs to get adjusted for fit, it is as straight as new. Got every service receipt, all dealer done, with it.

After tint - 20% 3 layer nano ceramic and 80% on full windshield. Keeps heat out.
MarkVII (11-17-20)
Old 11-17-20, 06:21 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

Had my tires rotated at costco ($25).
was informed that my spare is seized in place, leading me to believe that the dealership didnt touch it when i took it in 7mo ago.($100)

ordered some all weather mats.
Old 11-18-20, 04:46 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
Had my tires rotated at costco ($25).
was informed that my spare is seized in place, leading me to believe that the dealership didnt touch it when i took it in 7mo ago.($100)

ordered some all weather mats.
Not sure how it seizes in place... with the chain loosened that would mean gravity stopped working. Tap the mechanism and tire with a rubber mallet with it loosened, it'll fall down. Then spray fluid film all thru the mechanism with it fully deployed and coat the chain, shouldn't happen again.
hard to prove the dealer didnt do it (unless you marked it prior to taking it in), they will never admit it and likely just say they over tightened it.
WRD4chano (11-18-20)
Old 11-18-20, 08:34 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 287 Likes on 171 Posts

What part number is this or where did you get it?? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Greenbow
Installed Prado emblems in the rear. Been a while since I last logged in but looking to get this done.

Old 11-18-20, 04:48 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Not sure how it seizes in place... with the chain loosened that would mean gravity stopped working. Tap the mechanism and tire with a rubber mallet with it loosened, it'll fall down. Then spray fluid film all thru the mechanism with it fully deployed and coat the chain, shouldn't happen again.
hard to prove the dealer didnt do it (unless you marked it prior to taking it in), they will never admit it and likely just say they over tightened it.

was told the same by the tech although he said WD40. ill get it done as soon as I can find some fluid film.

hey, when you need an alignment where do you go? dealership or independent shop? this time around ill go dealership, but the next time i wanna save some doll hairs.
Old 11-19-20, 01:53 PM
NothingNew
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

@ObsidianBl

Regarding the in cabin switches. CH4x4 was the only company that had white backlit small Toyota switches. Shipment was quick but their switches don’t fit properly into our GX blanks. It’s a false fit where it looks like it’ll work but the switch bezel is too large. You’ll need to shave it down and add some felt tape around it. My issue was that you couldn’t press the switch down enough for it to click on or off. It worked only as a momentary press and hold.

Don’t expect any after support from ch4x4 though. I emailed them over the weekend and they have yet to respond back to me.

I'm about to install one of their switches in the Lower Instrument Panel (next to Steering Wheel Heater switch). Is this where you encountered your problem? Are you happy with your "fix"? Finally, what did you tap into for backlighting of your new switch?

Thanks!
Old 11-19-20, 01:59 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by NothingNew
@ObsidianBl

Regarding the in cabin switches. CH4x4 was the only company that had white backlit small Toyota switches. Shipment was quick but their switches don’t fit properly into our GX blanks. It’s a false fit where it looks like it’ll work but the switch bezel is too large. You’ll need to shave it down and add some felt tape around it. My issue was that you couldn’t press the switch down enough for it to click on or off. It worked only as a momentary press and hold.

Don’t expect any after support from ch4x4 though. I emailed them over the weekend and they have yet to respond back to me.

I'm about to install one of their switches in the Lower Instrument Panel (next to Steering Wheel Heater switch). Is this where you encountered your problem? Are you happy with your "fix"? Finally, what did you tap into for backlighting of your new switch?

Thanks!
I installed my CH4x4 switch and it fit perfectly in the left lower panel. I did not tap in for back lighting as I had done that in my previous 4x4 and I found it to be annoying at night.

This is the switch I installed: https://www.ch4x4.com/product/ch4x4-...-led-color=red
NothingNew (11-19-20)
Old 11-19-20, 03:09 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by NothingNew
@ObsidianBl

Thanks!
Hey there,
Yes, I put my switch to the left of the heated wheel button and it didn't fit without trimming. I took my Leatherman file and started to file away. Be sure to file evenly around all 4 sides and test fit frequently. I ended up taking too much off and needed some felt tape.

The LED inside the switch is bright. My seating position and steering wheel setup blocks the led from my field of view so I don't really mind.

I'm happy with the switch location and fitment after modifying it. I tapped into the traction control switch led light wiring using a left over posi-tap (really great little things). I forget the color of it, but you can use a multimeter and test which one has power when the headlights turn on.

For those wondering, they never responded back to my email.

Last edited by ObsidianBl; 11-19-20 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-20-20, 02:52 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

Used my portable battery jumper for the first time today. Battery is less than 2 years old and has a 3 year warranty so I got a free replacement.
Old 11-20-20, 05:35 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Originally Posted by tecman
Used my portable battery jumper for the first time today. Battery is less than 2 years old and has a 3 year warranty so I got a free replacement.
which one do you have? im planning to get one from costco. but all be getting a battery first, mine dies if i even thinking about having the gx in acc for more than three minutes :'(
Old 11-20-20, 05:48 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I pulled it out a month ago to check on the charge and it was at 87% after sitting for several months. I did charge it so it was at 100% and it cranked the truck with no problem.
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-20-20, 06:24 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Coming back to this. I had no concern with the battery performance prior to the complete failure in one day. The truck seemed fine but when I went to crank it this morning there was a major lag so I was expecting a problem later in the day when I let it sit.

Quick Reply: "What did you do to your..." thread?