GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

"What did you do to your..." thread?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-21 | 05:45 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Originally Posted by Siblue
Cornfed front spacer (patiently waiting for my Dobinsons order)
and WedsSport TC105X wheels
look at all that meat on those wheel, LOVE IT!
Old 10-07-21 | 01:49 AM
ukcats
Driver

Originally Posted by Siblue
Cornfed front spacer (patiently waiting for my Dobinsons order)
and WedsSport TC105X wheels

Looks good. Just curious, what is the wait time for a Dobinsons lift?
The following 2 users liked this post by ukcats:
bbqsoup (10-07-21), Piney1 (10-08-21)
Old 10-07-21 | 04:41 AM
Siblue
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ukcats
Looks good. Just curious, what is the wait time for a Dobinsons lift?
End of October for the rear springs in black. Possibly end of November for rear shocks in black. Purchased from Exit offroad
The following users liked this post:
ukcats (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21 | 12:48 PM
M4rk
Intermediate

Also Fluid Film'd and installed new one piece rubber fender liners in preparation for winter. While at the end I got what I paid for and the product itself feels very heavy duty, I didn't have the smoothest experience with this particular vendor (not a sponsor here) so I can't endorse them. Feel free to PM me for more info, however.

The following 2 users liked this post by M4rk:
JayPixelGX (10-07-21), nuclearn8 (10-08-21)
Old 10-07-21 | 03:00 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Default Cold box organizer

We camp and take regular road trips, we love and use the cold box in our GX all the time, but.... I made some modifications to add some storage space at the bottom and yet keep the functionality of the cold box. On the road we prefer canned sparkling water rather than bottles, these are much shorter which leaves room in the bottom of the cooler. I designed this box and lid and then 3D printed it. It fits in the bottom of the cooler and the bottle/can tray fits on top. If you want to put larger items in the cooler it is easy to lift out the storage box. Also the original base you had to have 4 cans in or they would fall over, with the dividers you can carry any number of cans with no risk of tipping. I can make the STLs available if anyone who is interested. NOTE: this only fits the cold box model GX.

The original, is deep and anything less that 4 cans and the fall over

Notice how much space is above the cans

The box & lid, 3D printed. Fits nice but can be easily removed if you need to use the entire cold box.

Box & lid assembled

Box (without lid) in cold box

Storage box fully installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by IanG:
Acrad (10-07-21), Siblue (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21 | 05:06 PM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1974Boler
We camp and take regular road trips, we love and use the cold box in our GX all the time, but.... I made some modifications to add some storage space at the bottom and yet keep the functionality of the cold box. On the road we prefer canned sparkling water rather than bottles, these are much shorter which leaves room in the bottom of the cooler. I designed this box and lid and then 3D printed it. It fits in the bottom of the cooler and the bottle/can tray fits on top. If you want to put larger items in the cooler it is easy to lift out the storage box. Also the original base you had to have 4 cans in or they would fall over, with the dividers you can carry any number of cans with no risk of tipping. I can make the STLs available if anyone who is interested. NOTE: this only fits the cold box model GX.

The original, is deep and anything less that 4 cans and the fall over

Notice how much space is above the cans

The box & lid, 3D printed. Fits nice but can be easily removed if you need to use the entire cold box.

Box & lid assembled

Box (without lid) in cold box

Storage box fully installed.
Nice setup. Can our US models be fitted with cold box? I think canadian models have these for luxury version.
Old 10-07-21 | 05:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Not saying it can't be done but never heard of a retrofit. It would likely require some custom AC plumbing.

Schematics

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10712758

Last edited by Acrad; 10-07-21 at 05:15 PM.
SamLexRXGX (10-12-21)
Old 10-07-21 | 05:48 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SamLexRXGX
Nice setup. Can our US models be fitted with cold box? I think canadian models have these for luxury version.
Originally Posted by Acrad
Not saying it can't be done but never heard of a retrofit. It would likely require some custom AC plumbing.
Schematics
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10712758
That is exactly my understanding, to install the cold box is very involved and not an easy retrofit. You need to splice into the AC system
The Canadian executive package includes the cold box, off road controls, trany cooler, lip spoilers, 19" wheels, ML stereo, rear seat entertainment, ...

Last edited by IanG; 10-07-21 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-08-21 | 06:15 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1974Boler
That is exactly my understanding, to install the cold box is very involved and not an easy retrofit. You need to splice into the AC system
The Canadian executive package includes the cold box, off road controls, trany cooler, lip spoilers, 19" wheels, ML stereo, rear seat entertainment, ...

US customers could also import these cold box models from Puerto Rico. Cold box has apparently been an option on those models since 2010 there as well.
IanG (10-08-21)
Old 10-11-21 | 04:07 PM
Thed351W
Rookie

Waited for it. Find out I can see my VIN on the Lexus owner's website even though I don't have a window sticker or... actually own it yet.
carlspackl (10-11-21)
Old 10-14-21 | 03:00 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

I’ve tried several mounts that cling ingeniously to the gage cluster and they just do not work for me. I’m partial to magnetic mounts and have used ones that are nearly flush mount for years. Purchased this one and, other than my slightly off mounting job, it is perfect. Elevates the phone enough to see maps and all and is not in the way of anything. It articulates at the top and bottom but is very rigid.

New phone holder

Mounted too closely to stuff holder

No vibration whatsoever
Old 10-14-21 | 09:15 AM
hskbvn
Driver School Candidate

I sprayed some Fluid Film to my 22 GX 460, and changed some internal lights with the VLED 5500K while 194 led.
nuclearn8 (10-15-21)
Old 10-16-21 | 08:27 AM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

It's impossible to resist parking next to another. . . mine's on the right with the dressed tires and clean wheels

The following 4 users liked this post by MarkVII:
Hehena (10-17-21), IanG (10-16-21), nuclearn8 (10-21-21), tntcandy (10-16-21)
Old 10-23-21 | 01:28 PM
bob58
Driver

Yesterday morning, about 4 am, without warning my 2017 GX460 wouldn’t start. There was barely a click, the engine never attempted to turn over and many dash lights flashed unusually.

After work, I attempted to troubleshoot the problem. I jump started the truck and while it fired up, it immediately stalled on the first attempt. It started and ran perfectly on the second. I was stuck with a check engine light and Trac Off warning on the center display. A little digging here indicated that these are classic signs of a bad battery.

The previous owner had battery issues documented in my Lexus service history, requiring a jump start and charging system test in March 2020 and a second incidence in June 2020 where roadside assistance replaced the original battery with this new Lexus battery.

I charged the battery overnight but this morning it still would not start. So after jump starting it I went to AutoZone and replaced it with this…

Duralast Platinum 24f

It works perfectly and the check engine and Trac Off warnings disappeared immediately.

I know the Lexus battery was still under warranty but my GX is not and my closest Lexus dealer is 100 miles one way. The money was not worth the hassle to me.

Last edited by bob58; 10-24-21 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-23-21 | 01:53 PM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Installed rear Timbren Active offroad bump stops finally. Etrailer sent a bump stop with smaller diameter washer inside the rubber which does not fit. I sent photos of it and they sent replacement order. It took almost two weeks. Looks like the life time warranty makes them re route unused customer return parts back into stream. I received also the other washers with different sizes also. Quality control is so bad I guess.
Any way after installation i can go on the speed breakers and rough roads smoother. During installation i had to tie down the wire which comes near the bumpstop with adjacent brake or aluminium hose so it does not come in the way. Took almost two hours to install with out removing tires. I noticed OEM bumpstop is at an angle which hits the axle. Timbren is straight and hence atleast 10 percent of the rubber coverage is outside the axle even if its moved far back with the holes.
nuclearn8 (10-26-21)

Quick Reply: "What did you do to your..." thread?