GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

"What did you do to your..." thread?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-22, 07:54 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 293 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Kellyrshor
Installed an LED light bar from Lasfit in the grill of the Lexus GX460 and couldn't be happier with how it turned out! Required a custom mounting bracket but it's rock solid. The light beam is much better than the roof mounted LED light bar because it doesn't reflect off the hood. It's become my "go to" for night time lighting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2goinX17TE
Interesting. I’ve not had huge luck with aftermarket light sticks. They are bright but not aimed well in my experience. Had one on an FJ that was bumper mounted but it really was not that awesome. Retrofitted my 2013’s light to 55W HID before I updated it and those HID are sick bright, no need for additional help. The same upgrade could be done to the 14-17 headlights. They’d replace the factory HID with an element that is both high and low so that the OEM DRLs still work and the factory look is retained. That mount job on yours looks nice though. Love that winch.
Old 04-22-22, 02:25 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

ran it through the car wash with the sun roof ajar...again. damprid and desiccant packets everywhere, fingers crossed.

also replace wiper arm cap, snapped it off during the winter while being to aggressive with the brush.
Old 04-23-22, 11:12 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Brought mine home last week. Came with a tacky grille, bumper fitment issues, and left headlight without a working low beam with lots of condensation on the inside of the lens.

Narrowed down the headlight issue to a ballast issue. Purchased a new ballast and decided to swap it out when the grille arrived. Pulled the headlight and noticed some thing a bit odd at the bottom of the lens...

Mmm, chocolate milk in the bottom of the headlight.

Poured it out, pulled all the bulbs and motors and in the process of removing the motor, I cracked one of the tabs that kept it in place. Since one of the mounting tabs was already damaged, I decided to just use this temporarily and look for a replacement from an auto salvage yard whenever one comes up. With that in mind, I decided to just dry the inside out without opening it all up, then sealing the edges up with urethane sealer.

Threw everything back together and kinda sorted out the bumper fitment issue. I'll nab some more pics when I get a chance.
The following 2 users liked this post by notmill:
Hehena (05-08-22), Piney1 (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22, 02:44 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 293 Likes on 176 Posts

I had put the OEM grill back on my 13 before I update it. If you plasti-dip the wheels and grill, you’ll really change the look of the GX. Top pic is how it was when I bought it and middle is with the plasti dip on the wheels and grill with Toyo badge on it. I had aftermarket HID projectors installed in these lights - they are life changing. Enjoy your GX.

Old 04-24-22, 05:02 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Originally Posted by notmill
Brought mine home last week. Came with a tacky grille, bumper fitment issues, and left headlight without a working low beam with lots of condensation on the inside of the lens.
Narrowed down the headlight issue to a ballast issue. Purchased a new ballast and decided to swap it out when the grille arrived. Pulled the headlight and noticed some thing a bit odd at the bottom of the lens...
when swapping ballasts, did you break off the plastic piece that prevents the ballast harness from moving around? if not how did you persuade it out?
Old 04-24-22, 07:39 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
when swapping ballasts, did you break off the plastic piece that prevents the ballast harness from moving around? if not how did you persuade it out?
So the cable that goes from the ballast to the bulb is a flat cable with some kinda fiber sheathing. If you pull the sheathing taut, you can see which dimension the cable is flat and with the sheathing pulled against the cable, it's very easy to pull it from that tab without breaking them.

That said, I think the ballast that I purchased isn't the OE. Labels are correct, but the molding and stamping on the bulb connector are ever so slightly different. There are also lots of odd differences here and there in other spots. May be from a different run, but they did flicker a bit upon install. Not too hopeful these will last that long.

Tossed the bike rack on and went for a ride. It handles as expected from a truck on twisty mountain roads.

Old 04-25-22, 08:59 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did some trimming and recovery points.

Old 04-25-22, 10:59 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 743 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Went by the tint shop that did my LS. My front tint on my GX460 is 33% and starting to peel pretty badly in a few spots, so I made an appointment to get the front tint removed and replaced with ceramic at 25% (Texas legal limit for front windows). I had them test the rear window with the factory coating, but I forgot what the number was.

Anyways, the 25% should be a pretty close match. Will post a pic next week after the appointment.
Looks so much better! Even the wife commented on how good it look with the fronts done. I'm not sure the ceramic will help too much with Texas summers due to the rest of the windows not having it but still, I'm very happy. Up next is rear pads and rotors (have), shocks front and back, a few drain&fills on the transmission, and a water pump (preventative due to mileage).

Old 04-25-22, 02:01 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Originally Posted by notmill
So the cable that goes from the ballast to the bulb is a flat cable with some kinda fiber sheathing. If you pull the sheathing taut, you can see which dimension the cable is flat and with the sheathing pulled against the cable, it's very easy to pull it from that tab without breaking them.
youre referring to the tabs on the headlight assembling correct?
Old 04-27-22, 04:53 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
youre referring to the tabs on the headlight assembling correct?
I'm referring to the tabs on the inside of the headlight housing. When you pull the ballast off, there a thin retaining bit that keeps the cable between the ballast and bulb from tangling in anything inside while AFS is working.

If you're referring to the tab that keeps the AFS motor in place, I broke that one lol. Notched the remaining tab and wired the tab on the motor to it. Am going to find a new headlight so I'm not too worried about keeping this one in all too good condition.
Old 04-28-22, 07:56 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Installed the Beatsonic SP26 throttle controller.

I couldn’t stand how slow and lumbering this truck felt with its stock throttle mapping. With the SP26 in sport mode it feels like a totally new truck. By virtue of “tricking” the TPS into thinking the throttle is pressed down further and quicker, the transmission also shifts better.

All around, I couldn’t be happier. This is a must-buy, IMO. And at $219, much cheaper than the Pedal Commander.

Old 04-30-22, 05:15 PM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Installed the Beatsonic SP26 throttle controller.

I couldn’t stand how slow and lumbering this truck felt with its stock throttle mapping. With the SP26 in sport mode it feels like a totally new truck. By virtue of “tricking” the TPS into thinking the throttle is pressed down further and quicker, the transmission also shifts better.

All around, I couldn’t be happier. This is a must-buy, IMO. And at $219, much cheaper than the Pedal Commander.

Awesome. Don't know if this will affect the truck long time. Will this increase the RPM every time when you press the gas, compared to the original press, to remove the lag? Will this affect the Automatic transmission in the long run?
Will it help for towing?

Old 04-30-22, 05:25 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 211 Posts

Our GX has been in the garage staying warm & dry all winter, today I installed the Talons Garage catalytic converter anti-theft plate, the summer tire, and completed Service #1 (not worth taking it to the dealership for that service).

Talons Garage plate ready to install

Installation complete
The following 2 users liked this post by IanG:
Hehena (05-08-22), nuclearn8 (05-01-22)
Old 05-01-22, 01:15 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SamLexRXGX
Awesome. Don't know if this will affect the truck long time. Will this increase the RPM every time when you press the gas, compared to the original press, to remove the lag? Will this affect the Automatic transmission in the long run?
Will it help for towing?
Long term, not worried. It’s not like I’m chirping the tires off the line every time, I just have to press the pedal ever so slightly less to get the same intended acceleration.
It won’t “help” for towing per say, but it will make it seem slightly easier since again, the pedal doesn’t have to be pushed down as much for every time you want to accelerate.
Old 05-01-22, 06:54 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by SamLexRXGX
Will it help for towing?
It will not increase the RPM, it is managing the ration of how response to the panel travel speed and how quick you press down the panel. In fact, it recalculates and manages the effectiveness based on traveling speed as well. My experiences with that is: you will have noticeable quick response when you from stop to go, then on highway speed, the response of panel is very much as usual.

Quick Reply: "What did you do to your..." thread?