GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

"What did you do to your..." thread?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 08:50 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 287 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
I’ve owned my 2019 for about 3 months now and I think I’ve practically mastered the technique for squeezing every last bit of MPG out of it..

Over 3,000 miles my lifetime average is 19.2 mpg. Average speed 25 mph. My last tank I squeezed 19.3 mpg. This is mixed city/highway.

These trucks like to be accelerated hard off the line, then cruised gently. On the highway I never use cruise control, just vary between 60-75 mph depending on the road grade.

0w-20 oil, new Michelin Defender tires, new air filter.. and I swear the Beatsonic Shiftpower makes it a bit easier to hyper-mile this truck because it’s easier to take off at a decent clip from a dead stop instead of having to mash the pedal like the OE tuning… Surprisingly — I have tested this across multiple tanks — I get the best fuel mileage using 89 octane vs. 93 or 87.

With the 285/65/18 K02s and a 1/2 inch front level, it gets 17.1. — factoring in the 5% rolling radius change over stock, this equates to just shy of 18mpg and I drive it like it gas was free. Road trip yesterday of 350 miles and got this running 75-83 most of the way with the air on and 4 passengers with luggage. A Prius it ain’t but it is safe and comfortable.

The following users liked this post:
joeotero (04-02-23)
Old 05-31-22, 01:35 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 230 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Siblue
Universal puddle lamps for rear lower bumper corners.
Too match my LED cargo strip when swing gate is opened.

Where did you get the puddle lights from, I like the idea and was going to install the the running board curtesy light assembly in similar locations (Lexus part 8138060060 )
Philly01 (11-24-22)
Old 05-31-22, 01:59 PM
Siblue
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tntcandy
Where did you get the puddle lights from, I like the idea and was going to install the the running board curtesy light assembly in similar locations (Lexus part 8138060060 )
Also VLEDs brand.
I thought of the same to replace running board lights but I like how light peeks thru the slots on the OEM.
tntcandy (06-02-22)
Old 05-31-22, 05:15 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Pulled the crossbars and roof side rails off to compound and seal the paint on the roof. Previous owner simply ran it through the gas station car wash so there were some hard water spots and general dirty paint under where the cross bars were. Passenger side isn't quite done yet, but here's a decent picture of the difference.

Installed a new fog light cover for the side that was missing one.

Didn't have time to finish paint correction on the roof, but took a trip down the coast the other day. Temporarily plugged the holes with tape, but will reinstall the rails once the top is done.

The following 2 users liked this post by notmill:
nuclearn8 (06-01-22), Piney1 (06-01-22)
Old 05-31-22, 07:55 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by notmill

shots like this make me fall in love with this body, again and again!
The following 3 users liked this post by WRD4chano:
2chains (06-01-22), ellocovg (06-01-22), Piney1 (06-01-22)
Old 06-02-22, 04:42 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 230 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Siblue
Also VLEDs brand.
I thought of the same to replace running board lights but I like how light peeks thru the slots on the OEM.
Ordered same, OEM route would be more expensive when getting all parts, by OEM I mean the running board light housings
Siblue (06-02-22)
Old 06-05-22, 10:40 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

About three weeks into ownership and I’ve done allot of maintenance stuff with more to come, but I’m starting to get into the fun bits aswell.

I purchased it from Carvana and had it inspected by my Lexus dealer since they come with a 90 day warranty. I’m paranoid about the timing belt cover weep and the coolant leak so I paid for the $240 extensive inspection and i don’t think they inspected much. I have to get underneath there myself but they did tell me that the front brakes had good meat but were warped and needed to be replaced. Carvanas service provider asked me to take it to Penske to be inspected. To cut the story short they ended up replacing all 4 brakes/rotors/front shocks/alignment/ and high speed balanced all four tires. Sucks they went with there “premium” brand for the brakes and KYB Excel for the shocks and not OEM but hey it’s a $2,500 bill that Carvana completely covered. I did pay to have them do a brake fluid flush and a fuel injector service.

I then took it to my dealer to have the power steering fluid replaced, and also had them do a coolant flush.

I replaced all of the interior bulbs as well as the running board ones for cool white leds. Well except for the orange ones for now.

Today I hand washed her using the 3 bucket system followed by a layer of chemical guys butter wax. I did a light cleaning on the inside with chemical guys total interior.

Next weekend I’m planning on hitting my seats with the leatherique kit that I purchased a year ago for my other car and never used. Many more maintenance and mods to come thanks to the peer pressure.

I hate you GX*Bob lol. Seriously I love this forum I’ve missed having a good forum, I haven’t had one where ppl actually help since my Taco days.

Last edited by ellocovg; 06-05-22 at 10:49 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by ellocovg:
AlexDev (12-10-22), goodcat8 (01-08-24), Hehena (06-22-22), nuclearn8 (06-08-22), Piney1 (06-06-22), Seanzky (06-06-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-06-22, 03:44 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 287 Likes on 171 Posts

Looks really nice and clean. My wife’s silver one has a camel color inside and it has not aged well despite being a 2017 with just 60k on it now. My Knights Armor one has black leather and it has almost no signs of wear. Yours should look great for a long time. Enjoy.

Nice getting the brakes and shocks taken care of too - nice savings there. I just replaced the shocks and springs front and rear on my GX (it had original ones with 145k on it) with 2022 OEM take-offs that I bought from a member here. Rides nice with new suspension.

Originally Posted by ellocovg
Next weekend I’m planning on hitting my seats with the leatherique kit that I purchased a year ago for my other car and never used. Many more maintenance and mods to come thanks to the peer pressure.

Old 06-06-22, 05:00 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Thats an awesome find can’t beat OEM. I normally prefer tan or brown interiors but all of the 17’s and 18’s that I test drove with the tan leather that I was looking at looked horrible. The black gets just as beat up but it hides all of the imperfections.

Originally Posted by Piney1
Looks really nice and clean. My wife’s silver one has a camel color inside and it has not aged well despite being a 2017 with just 60k on it now. My Knights Armor one has black leather and it has almost no signs of wear. I just replaced the shocks and springs front and rear on my GX (it had original ones with 145k on it) with 2022 OEM take-offs that I bought from a member here. Rides nice with new suspension.
Piney1 (06-07-22)
Old 06-08-22, 09:16 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

My transmission cooler came in today. It's a real chonky boi. Setrab 6-series two pass cooler. It's got a relatively compact footprint, but is a lot thicker than most coolers. The catalog says 15k-26k BTU/hr.

I ideally want to mount it like this with the ports on the side closer to the hoses. It's quite a bit thicker and wider than I anticipated though.

It fits pretty well vertically though. The two horn mounting locations are also easily reused like this, but the hose routing is pretty meh. Due to the cooler being a two pass, the ports are on the same side when oriented horizontally. If mounted vertically, I would have to route one of the hoses across the cooler somehow.

Gonna measure a couple things and see if I can cad something up.
Acrad (06-11-22)
Old 06-21-22, 07:23 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Had 70% ceramic tint installed on the front windshield and 20% on the front windows to match the rear. Love how it came out — and the heat reduction from the film on the windshield is real. Now I’m really wanting to get darker wheels or at least powder coat mine…

FastTurtle (06-21-22)
Old 06-21-22, 08:27 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Day camp at JNP. First dirt patch for the new GX 😎🤙🏽

The following 4 users liked this post by FastTurtle:
Hehena (06-22-22), nyctfl (06-26-22), Piney1 (06-22-22), tntcandy (06-22-22)
Old 06-21-22, 08:39 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Had 70% ceramic tint installed on the front windshield and 20% on the front windows to match the rear. Love how it came out — and the heat reduction from the film on the windshield is real. Now I’m really wanting to get darker wheels or at least powder coat mine…

That looks awesome, what color are you thinking for the wheels gun metal?
Old 06-21-22, 11:33 PM
jdam
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by notmill
My transmission cooler came in today. It's a real chonky boi. Setrab 6-series two pass cooler. It's got a relatively compact footprint, but is a lot thicker than most coolers. The catalog says 15k-26k BTU/hr.

I ideally want to mount it like this with the ports on the side closer to the hoses. It's quite a bit thicker and wider than I anticipated though.

It fits pretty well vertically though. The two horn mounting locations are also easily reused like this, but the hose routing is pretty meh. Due to the cooler being a two pass, the ports are on the same side when oriented horizontally. If mounted vertically, I would have to route one of the hoses across the cooler somehow.

Gonna measure a couple things and see if I can cad something up.
One thing to think about when mounting it vertically - not sure how it affects the trans but it'll drain empty when not running with the ports located at the bottom. I think it would be better with the ports up top so that levels are always consistent and the only extra fluid that runs back to the trans is in the hose.
Old 06-22-22, 04:05 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
That looks awesome, what color are you thinking for the wheels gun metal?
thank you! Yes — thinking gloss gunmetal for these

Quick Reply: "What did you do to your..." thread?