GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

"What did you do to your..." thread?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-22, 10:03 PM
notmill
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jdam
One thing to think about when mounting it vertically - not sure how it affects the trans but it'll drain empty when not running with the ports located at the bottom. I think it would be better with the ports up top so that levels are always consistent and the only extra fluid that runs back to the trans is in the hose.
Hm, that's something I never considered. The transmission is at the lowest point in the car so I do wonder if the stock cooler drains into the pan once the car is off. If so, they probably accounted for the extra volume of that and the OEM cooler, but maybe not something this big.

That said, I could mount it vertically and hope that there's not enough of a vacuum that it drains the entire thing. Mine is a two pass and routes like this, so mounting it vertically might actually be ideal.

Old 06-26-22, 12:40 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

Got my GX a RCF girlfriend last week. Damn she is feisty with 467hp V8 5.0

So many GX's around here so I got something different.

The following 12 users liked this post by tecman:
Acrad (06-26-22), AlexDev (12-10-22), DanTeSlagX (10-04-23), FastTurtle (06-27-22), Hehena (07-30-22), m5rahul (07-05-22), nyctfl (06-26-22), redacted (11-28-22), SCOFF82 (01-09-24), Seanzky (06-27-22), tntcandy (06-27-22), WRD4chano (06-28-22) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-28-22, 11:48 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

I thought you said you got your GF an RCF haha dang what a generous partner you are sir/ma’am !

Congrats!

Originally Posted by tecman
Got my GX a RCF girlfriend last week. Damn she is feisty with 467hp V8 5.0

So many GX's around here so I got something different.

The following users liked this post:
SCOFF82 (01-09-24)
Old 06-30-22, 12:04 PM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Lensun Solar 100w hood mounted panel.

I mounted the Lensun Solar, 100W solar panel to the hood of the GX. Seems to run the 55qt fridge all day without any battery loss. Will still run it at night with the Bluetti.
I put down a vinyl decal first, then used the 3M heavy duty double sided tape. First time using the 3M adhesion promoter. All I have to say is, you better have it lined up before it touches. Once it makes contact, it's there, hence mine being off center about 1/4"

The following 6 users liked this post by EricT64:
AlexDev (12-10-22), JeffS520 (06-30-22), m5rahul (07-05-22), nyctfl (07-08-22), redacted (11-28-22), Seanzky (07-07-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-30-22, 12:08 PM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by notmill
Hm, that's something I never considered. The transmission is at the lowest point in the car so I do wonder if the stock cooler drains into the pan once the car is off. If so, they probably accounted for the extra volume of that and the OEM cooler, but maybe not something this big.

That said, I could mount it vertically and hope that there's not enough of a vacuum that it drains the entire thing. Mine is a two pass and routes like this, so mounting it vertically might actually be ideal.

This is why the fluid is checked while the vehicle is running and at operating temperature so the cooler and lines are full as the GX has a transmission thermostat that must reach that temp before it opens and allows fluid to flow into the cooling system.
Old 07-04-22, 02:13 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

Took a $11 nap drive so did some mall crawling to put him to sleep, along the way rolled 44,000 miles.
Old 07-04-22, 04:16 AM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Received 154 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Brake Flush with SpeedBleeders

Coming up on three years and wanted to flush my brake fluid, five tire rotation and since I had was going to bleed the system put new front brake pads on. Pads would have passed PA inspection this year, but definitely not next year. Easy swap especially since I was bleeding out the system.

I've used these SpeedBleeders on my Mazda NDs and 4R. Makes bleeding the system a one person job.

For those interested the Stainless steel part numbers are: Fronts H9411/SB7100-SS, Rears H9409/SB1010-SS.
http://www.speedbleeder.com

They only come in single or a 5 pack... so since the F/R are different you need to order QTY of 2 for each part number.

These are the same bleeders as my 4R.

Peacebay (07-04-22)
Old 07-04-22, 07:35 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Finally got around to doing it after staring at boxes for a month.

Before

After

I also updated the rear emblem.

Last edited by ellocovg; 08-28-22 at 06:52 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by ellocovg:
blackangus (11-13-22), m5rahul (07-05-22), nuclearn8 (07-06-22), Piney1 (07-04-22), sixbanger (09-12-22)
Old 07-05-22, 09:22 AM
Climber
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Warped rotors and worn shocks after 45k miles (odo last photo)? Previous owner must not have been very gentle. Wonder what else might be on the edge.
Old 07-05-22, 09:27 AM
Climber
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bowhun2r
Coming up on three years and wanted to flush my brake fluid, five tire rotation and since I had was going to bleed the system put new front brake pads on. Pads would have passed PA inspection this year, but definitely not next year. Easy swap especially since I was bleeding out the system.

I've used these SpeedBleeders on my Mazda NDs and 4R. Makes bleeding the system a one person job.

For those interested the Stainless steel part numbers are: Fronts H9411/SB7100-SS, Rears H9409/SB1010-SS.
http://www.speedbleeder.com

They only come in single or a 5 pack... so since the F/R are different you need to order QTY of 2 for each part number.

These are the same bleeders as my 4R.

One thing I learned with SpeedBleeders is to make sure the threads seal well when bleeder loosened. Otherwise you're going to be sucking in air through there when vacuum bleeding. Makes you think there's an endless supply of air bubbles in your system 😞
Old 07-05-22, 09:42 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Climber
Warped rotors and worn shocks after 45k miles (odo last photo)? Previous owner must not have been very gentle. Wonder what else might be on the edge.
Welcome to the world of used cars where it’s a 50/50 gamble as to how much the previous owners loved it.

With my last couple of used car purchases I’ve picked them partially by using the Lexus owners page to look at the vehicles service history. What I look for is mostly service patterns. Punctuality, services declined, and if the car was strictly dealer maintained. It’s also nice to see if they approved some extras as opposed to just sticking to the basics.

When I was looking for my GX I looked at many vins noticing that these things eat through front brakes, it wasn’t uncommon to see these 5,200 pound behemoths having recommendations of new front pads every 2nd to 3rd service appt. The rotors also seem to take one resurface and then the dealer notes they are to rusty/thin and need to be replaced.

My one owner truck is getting old and even with only 45K on it it is a 2014. In 8 years the dealer swapped the front pads twice, front disks once, rear pads twice, and the rear disks once.

Another unfortunate pattern is that by the end of the original owners ownership they grow tired of it and just wants to unload it rather than sinking more money into it.

I’m thinking they probably had an indie shop just throw on quick pads on the front bypassing the rotors just to unload it. It was last serviced at the dealer about 10 months, 3K miles ago where they were recommended new front brakes and rotors. This was the GX’s first “customer declines service” and “just a synthetic oil change service” not a service package.

As far as the leaky front struts, this is common for Toyota there’s actually a certain amount of seepage that Lexus allows before it would even bring it up to a customer. Mine passed two different Lexus dealers inspections out of warranty. I think it was more of a slight seepage that the shop upsold to the service warranty provider.

I’m so far happy with my gamble, definitely has its flaws but nothing that I can’t live with. I had the dealer replace the coolant, PS fluid, and brake fluid, and will be swapping out all of the remaining fluids myself with Amsoil as soon as I get some free time.

It’s in really good shape for the year and appears to not have been overly abused. The only thing that I’m not too happy about is that having spent its entire life in Chantilly, VA it does have some surface rust on the bottom, random bolt heads, and the tailgates window strut base. Nothing to bad except for the skid plate which is beat up. Eventually when I find one I’ll replace it. It also seems that they applied some sort of oily rust inhibitor to the undercarriage years ago but all that remains is a goopy mess. Initially with my OCD I did freak out about the service rust but then I do a search on here and it seems to unfortunately be fairly common on others GX’s

Last edited by ellocovg; 07-06-22 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-06-22, 06:55 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Dropped my GX off at the dealer to have them inspect what I thought was the driver's side cam tower starting to leak... Sure enough, got a call back recently that it's exactly what I thought, and they will need to have my truck for up to a week to replace it under warranty.

2019 bought with 35k miles now at 40k miles, always meticulously maintained by the first owner . Pretty disappointing, and I'm a huge Lexus fanboy.

For anyone else with a GX in the warranty period -- remove the rubber splash shields in the wheel wheel (don't even have to remove the wheels) and have a look yourself. Based on the experience with Tundra owners, I'd be willing to bet 50% of your trucks are starting to leak on one or both sides...
ellocovg (07-06-22)
Old 07-06-22, 07:32 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Dropped my GX off at the dealer to have them inspect what I thought was the driver's side cam tower starting to leak... Sure enough, got a call back recently that it's exactly what I thought, and they will need to have my truck for up to a week to replace it under warranty.

2019 bought with 35k miles now at 40k miles, always meticulously maintained by the first owner . Pretty disappointing, and I'm a huge Lexus fanboy.

For anyone else with a GX in the warranty period -- remove the rubber splash shields in the wheel wheel (don't even have to remove the wheels) and have a look yourself. Based on the experience with Tundra owners, I'd be willing to bet 50% of your trucks are starting to leak on one or both sides...
Thank you for the heads up, hopefully she’s back soon better than ever.
Old 07-06-22, 09:21 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

For some reason cam tower leaks aren’t as common on 1UR-FE on 460s versus Tundra… although the 5.7L in Tundra seems to see this more than usual.

I gather the 4.6 is a rarer engine overall for Tundras

Timing chain covers seem to be the more common leak.
Old 07-07-22, 05:04 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Any glare? Any concern when washing and not be able to dry that part properly?

Originally Posted by EricT64
I mounted the Lensun Solar, 100W solar panel to the hood of the GX. Seems to run the 55qt fridge all day without any battery loss. Will still run it at night with the Bluetti.
I put down a vinyl decal first, then used the 3M heavy duty double sided tape. First time using the 3M adhesion promoter. All I have to say is, you better have it lined up before it touches. Once it makes contact, it's there, hence mine being off center about 1/4"

Wadepat2 (07-17-22)

Quick Reply: "What did you do to your..." thread?