GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Tow Package - Brake Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-19, 08:56 PM
PNWRacer
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

New owner here, but can contribute to this thread. After looking at the options I chose a Redarc Tow-Pro Elite with a Redarc TPSI-002 switch insert and the Tekonsha 3040-S wiring adapter.

I wanted a clean install and to make sure I could quickly get to the manual trailer brake (I think it has to be immediately accessible by law).

The Redarc controller mounted perfectly (better than I'd even hoped) into an unused switch location left of the steering wheel with the TPSI-002 insert. The inertial sensor mounts separately and in any orientation, which is very helpful. Connecting the sensor to the Tekonsha wiring adapter was just four crimp connections, which I did prior to installation.

Amazon has all the parts, but I bought from eTrailer because they were very helpful on the phone and their prices were about the same.
The following 6 users liked this post by PNWRacer:
Acrad (10-28-20), cancruiser (01-05-22), IanB2 (04-27-21), nuclearn8 (05-27-20), Nytron (06-05-22), Zivman (03-17-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-21-19, 07:24 AM
garylbarr
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigphil001
I tow a 20' enclosed trailer with a race car inside of it on a regular basis and the GX does great!

Big Phil what year is your GX, I like its grill SOO much better than the angry 14-20 models
Old 10-21-19, 07:26 AM
garylbarr
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Big Phil what year is your GX, I like the grill so much more than the 14-20? I may have replyed in the wrong place oh well it is early Monday.
Old 05-27-20, 11:00 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Bumping an old thread for a question about the Prodigy P3. I'm a novice when it comes to brake controllers. I see that etrailer offers what looks like a full "kit" for 226.
https://www.etrailer.com/bc-2013_Lex...l=-pm-Tekonsha

But if I look on Amazon, it looks like I can get the unit and bracket for 129.
Amazon Amazon

and the Toyota wiring adapter for 12.
Amazon Amazon

It's a big enough price difference to make me wonder what the difference is?
Old 05-27-20, 12:15 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 359 Posts

Do you have an affinity for that brand? If not I'd go the post #46 route or this: https://sleeoffroad.com/product/stf1292/ with the Redarc controller shown below it...
Since they provide the most OEM looking option and also a highly reputable brand.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (04-27-21)
Old 05-27-20, 02:53 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Do you have an affinity for that brand? If not I'd go the post #46 route or this: https://sleeoffroad.com/product/stf1292/ with the Redarc controller shown below it...
Since they provide the most OEM looking option and also a highly reputable brand.
Christo already has enough of my money...

I'm looking at both options, but when I saw the significant cost difference by just buying the Tekonsha in pieces off Amazon - I got curious.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jacket:
Acrad (05-27-20), cancruiser (01-05-22), nuclearn8 (05-27-20)
Old 09-24-20, 08:26 PM
vesder21
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

need some help with a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 that I just installed with the Tekonsha 3040-P wiring harness. it's plug and play and the break control unit powers up, but I keep getting an n.c. (not connected) error.

my GX is a 2019 an I just had the hitch installed a few months ago so everything is clean. the 7 pin connection if for a boat trailer and I also clean it out.

any ideas why the Prodigy P2 is NOT recognizing the trailer? an option I could do is try to wire the break controller to the Lexus supplied adapter that is in the glove box, but not sure what wires match to what. the P2 has a black, white, red and blue so what wires do they match up to the Lexus supplied wiring?

any other thoughts???

Old 09-25-20, 05:53 AM
craina
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vesder21
need some help with a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 that I just installed with the Tekonsha 3040-P wiring harness. it's plug and play and the break control unit powers up, but I keep getting an n.c. (not connected) error.

my GX is a 2019 an I just had the hitch installed a few months ago so everything is clean. the 7 pin connection if for a boat trailer and I also clean it out.

any ideas why the Prodigy P2 is NOT recognizing the trailer? an option I could do is try to wire the break controller to the Lexus supplied adapter that is in the glove box, but not sure what wires match to what. the P2 has a black, white, red and blue so what wires do they match up to the Lexus supplied wiring?

any other thoughts???
I would see if you can get it to pair using another car. Just a thought. I had trouble getting my Prodigy to pair with my Suburban at first. Eventually got it to pair using another vehicle then it worked with the Suburban and now with my GX. Both the Suburban and GX have factory hitch and 7 pin.
Old 09-25-20, 05:58 AM
craina
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Scratch that, just realized my prodigy is the RF not the P2. It will be hard to take my advice and apply it to the P2. My apologies.
vesder21 (09-25-20)
Old 04-25-21, 04:20 PM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by thiggins
I was able to install the Tekonsha P3 the other day and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I crimped all the connections, gave them all a firm yank to test them, and made a harness using the Tekonsha supplied harness combined with the harness found in our glovebox. There is one wire in the Lexus harness that is NOT used. Here's a picture, before I enclosed the whole thing in wire loom and made it pretty:

The black wire is a 10 gauge ground, attached to a big metal stud under the dash.
Hi all, Do we need to ground in a metallic part? or we can just leave it as is. (white to white with black)
Old 04-26-21, 03:16 AM
thiggins
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SamLexRXGX
Hi all, Do we need to ground in a metallic part? or we can just leave it as is. (white to white with black)
That’s the black wire on the three-way crimp. I did ground it to the chassis.

Black wire with yellow crimp grounded to the chassis.

Last edited by thiggins; 04-26-21 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Pix
SamLexRXGX (04-26-21)
Old 04-26-21, 08:13 PM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by thiggins
That’s the black wire on the three-way crimp. I did ground it to the chassis.

Black wire with yellow crimp grounded to the chassis.
Thanks thiggins. I was under the impression that it was already grounded from the vehicle. Looked like we were grounding it again.
Old 04-27-21, 08:42 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Just FYI, the RedArc is 100% plug-n-play if you get this wire harness:

https://redarcelectronics.com/produc...ghpl97vp2xFM48

And this dummy switch:

https://redarcelectronics.com/produc...2waq_KXGB0ghzw

It was 100% plug-n-play in my 2011 GX at least.There is no wire crimping, you just have to find a place to bolt down the ground and a place to mount the control box.

The harness does not say its compatible with the GX, but I looked at the 4Runner plug and compared it to the GX plug and they are the same so I took a gamble. I've pulled my 5500 lb travel trailer and everything works as it should. The Redarc is a really nice unit and love that its tucked out of the way and only the gain switch is visible. It's a very oem looking install.

I have owned a Prodigy P3 in the past and would recommend the Redarc at this point. I would say the braking performance is as good or better and the ability to tuck the control unit out of sight instead of having it sitting out like the P3 is a huge plus for me. I never really found a great place to mount the P3 in my last car that wasn't either an eye sore or in the way.

Last edited by skrypj; 04-27-21 at 09:03 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by skrypj:
Acrad (04-27-21), clearmysix (04-27-21), Lumbergh (05-22-21), SamLexRXGX (04-28-21), SteveInCal (04-28-21)
Old 05-19-21, 09:50 AM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Default redarc no led light

Originally Posted by PNWRacer

New owner here, but can contribute to this thread. After looking at the options I chose a Redarc Tow-Pro Elite with a Redarc TPSI-002 switch insert and the Tekonsha 3040-S wiring adapter.

I wanted a clean install and to make sure I could quickly get to the manual trailer brake (I think it has to be immediately accessible by law).

The Redarc controller mounted perfectly (better than I'd even hoped) into an unused switch location left of the steering wheel with the TPSI-002 insert. The inertial sensor mounts separately and in any orientation, which is very helpful. Connecting the sensor to the Tekonsha wiring adapter was just four crimp connections, which I did prior to installation.

Amazon has all the parts, but I bought from eTrailer because they were very helpful on the phone and their prices were about the same.
Hi All,
I installed this setup, All i got was a breathing blue light when i press the **** and thats it. I drove the vehicle for a while (require 20 brakes) for calibration. now there is no led light at all. looks like it is dead or something. I do not have any trailer to test.
Any one faced this issue with redarc brake controller.

Thanks.
update:
After restarting the car today morning, found the breathing blue led light came back. So dont know how to test the controller, with no trailer attached. I only have the
Curt 58271 7 pin rv blade trailer wiring towing vehicle socket tester

Last edited by SamLexRXGX; 05-19-21 at 10:24 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-19-21, 09:53 AM
PNWRacer
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

That's normal if there is no trailer attached.
SamLexRXGX (05-19-21)

Quick Reply: GX 460 Tow Package - Brake Control