GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

How do you disable dash lights after removing air suspension/AHC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 02:25 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

believe it or not I was having the hardest time trying to figure out the mount situation until I saw the instruction from Icon that shows to cut off the tab. Sometimes the simplest solution is right in front of you. I was looking to modify the mounts. Your pictures will provide much needed reference on our trucks for future modders. Do you have any rubbings and do you run 285/70's. Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
KJ6IRM (04-12-19)
Old 04-14-19, 03:04 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

To add some more info. I pulled more of the wheel well liners out of the rear to see if there was more room for the remote reservoir on the driver's side. Turns out, there isn't any additional space back there. The air compressor takes up all of the room.

Compressor with shield still covering it. Red circle is where the remote reservoir was temporarily mounted

Compressor with shield moved out of the way .Red circle is where the remote reservoir was temporarily mounted

Remote reservoir now mounted. I drilled the frame just below the temp spot I had initially mounted.

Remote reservoir now mounted. I drilled the frame just below the temp spot I had initially mounted.

EDIT:

One thing I noticed when going through my pics was that the passenger side spring wasn't seated properly. Looks like it slipped out of the upper frame side pocket during the initial install. If you notice in the pic blow you can see the pocket where the spring is supposed to be, it's between the spring and the level sensor. To fix this I had to jack the back of the truck up (I jacked it up by the axle), pull the wheels off, place on jack stands, lower the axle, then jack up the drivers side of the axle so the passenger side droops down. Once that was done then there was enough of a release of tension that I was able to take a long bar and pry against the spring to pop it back into the spring pocket. Then just reverse the process. There was no chance of the spring popping out from there, there is still enough of a lip there to keep it in place. But still want to make sure that it's installed properly. It must have slipped out when I was lowering the jack on the initial install (there's a lot of play for the spring in there when you have the shocks unbolted). So just make sure that when you are installing the springs in the back (regardless of airbag conversion) that they are seated properly before lowering your truck.

Originally Posted by KJ6IRM

Last edited by KJ6IRM; 04-14-19 at 05:31 PM.
r2m (04-14-19)
Old 05-20-19, 12:26 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

So I have run into a small issue with the coil conversion from air suspension. I'm on a trip now and have the vehicle loaded up with supplies. Well, this brought the rear of the vehicle down a little. The height sensors have picked this up and now the air compressor for the rear air springs is running full time trying to fill the bags (that are no longer there) to get the vehicle back at level. I'm sure diving like this it's only a matter of time that the air compressor burns out and then throws an error code. I guess I'll have to do some experimentation on how to disable the compressor and keep from getting lights popping up on the dash.
Old 05-20-19, 01:01 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Interesting. I wonder why others have not ran into this issue. This was my concern as well. Also, I wonder since I do not plan to do any offroad that I should look for the airbagman solution of the 2" extended bags. This would allow me to use the air suspension with the upgraded shocks. The Prado guys in Australia use it with success.
Old 05-20-19, 01:40 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Not sure why no one else noticed this. This is my second trip and only noticed this yesterday. My truck sat for a few days (at overland expo) and I started it to warm it up. I then continued packing when I went to the back of the truck and noticed the buzzing of the air compressor. I can't hear it with the windows up, and now I notice it with the windows down. I can hit the off button on the height control switch, but the off mode disengages after a certain speed.

Originally Posted by R3loader
Interesting. I wonder why others have not ran into this issue. This was my concern as well. Also, I wonder since I do not plan to do any offroad that I should look for the airbagman solution of the 2" extended bags. This would allow me to use the air suspension with the upgraded shocks. The Prado guys in Australia use it with success.

I was thinking of going with the Airbag Man air springs, but decided to go with coil springs. I just prefer the ride over airbags. I also wouldn't be worried of the durability of the Airbag Man springs, I had the airbags in my car for several years and have take long trips from Alpine Loop in Colorado, Sawtooth mountains in Idaho, several trips to Death Valley and more without any issues.

Another option you might want to look into is adding a spacer below the factory airbags. I ran into a couple of generic spacers, not sire if they would fit in the GX. I can take pictures of the factory airbags mounting surface and you can see if there's a spacer that would work.

Last edited by KJ6IRM; 05-20-19 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 02:59 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

I have to decide pretty soon as I am planning to install my suspension in a couple of weeks. I guess the worst case is that I could put the airbags back in since everything else is still there intact.
Old 05-20-19, 03:51 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

This would take some further testing as errors will undoubtedly show up to defeat the air compressor from running if triggered.

Old 05-20-19, 04:59 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

I wonder what is the happy "resistor" value for the compressor to not run.
EverD (02-16-24)
Old 07-05-19, 04:32 PM
DezRoamer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread and all of the information in it is extremely helpful for me.
I have kitted and worked on suspensions of other trucks I've owned in the past (Mostly Land Rover and a couple Toyota's) but I'm finding the sophisticated Air suspension / KDSS of the GX 460 Luxury a bit intimidating.

I struggled with the Luxury vs Base dilemma for some time as I knew that suspension upgrade was a good possibility. Then I ran across a used 2016 Luxury with 28,000 miles and about $6,000 under what everything else regionally was selling for so I jumped on it. It was on a dealers lot for 80 days with very little activity.

I've already finished with removal of 3rd row seating, built custom platforms for gear with tie down points behind and over the folded second row. New Goodyear Duratracs mounted on factory rims and a Front Runner roof rack came off my 470 and bolted straight up to the 460 (That made me super happy).
That brings me to the final stage of my build out. The suspension. I'm wading thru the forums and looking for as much information before I proceed. This thread is most helpful. I've ran Icon stage 3 on my FJ Cruiser and loved that kit, this time I may jump into Kings. But first I need to get the details of the install figured out.
I personally don't trust local shops to have all of the technical stuff sorted unless the have specialized in the GX460. I don't really want to pay a ton of money to a shop then come to find that the dash is littered with exclamation marks and warning lights.
Last time I paid a Toyota shop to install a full suspension, the coilovers had so much preload on them the suspension performance was pretty miserable. Lesson learned.

Thanks guys for helping clarify some of the technical aspects of the install.
Much Appreciated
Jeff
Old 05-07-20, 01:17 PM
Otherone
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KJ6IRM
Not sure why no one else noticed this. This is my second trip and only noticed this yesterday. My truck sat for a few days (at overland expo) and I started it to warm it up. I then continued packing when I went to the back of the truck and noticed the buzzing of the air compressor. I can't hear it with the windows up, and now I notice it with the windows down. I can hit the off button on the height control switch, but the off mode disengages after a certain speed.

I was thinking of going with the Airbag Man air springs, but decided to go with coil springs. I just prefer the ride over airbags. I also wouldn't be worried of the durability of the Airbag Man springs, I had the airbags in my car for several years and have take long trips from Alpine Loop in Colorado, Sawtooth mountains in Idaho, several trips to Death Valley and more without any issues.

Another option you might want to look into is adding a spacer below the factory airbags. I ran into a couple of generic spacers, not sire if they would fit in the GX. I can take pictures of the factory airbags mounting surface and you can see if there's a spacer that would work.
Were you ever able to solve this issue? I'm doing my suspension next week so it shouldn't be an immediate concern, but would be nice to do it all at once if there are any extra steps to disable the factory air pump. Thanks.
Old 05-07-20, 05:11 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Originally Posted by Otherone
Were you ever able to solve this issue? I'm doing my suspension next week so it shouldn't be an immediate concern, but would be nice to do it all at once if there are any extra steps to disable the factory air pump. Thanks.
nope, my truck still has this issue. I was thinking of adding helper air bags inside the springs. Would be nice to be level under load again and stop the compressor.
Old 05-07-20, 05:35 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

Why don't you just remove the air compressor or pull the fuse so it doesnt run....
Old 05-07-20, 06:32 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Why don't you just remove the air compressor or pull the fuse so it doesnt run....
If you remove the air compressor (or just unplug it) then you get a dash light with air suspension error. Pulling fuses doesn’t help.

Last edited by KJ6IRM; 05-07-20 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-07-20, 06:39 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

There was a guy on GXOR (need to see if I can locate) who was able to eliminate like 90% of the compressor assembly which left just a small electrical piece of compressor left attached. It was enough to prevent the dash error.
Old 05-07-20, 06:44 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad
There was a guy on GXOR (need to see if I can locate) who was able to eliminate like 90% of the compressor assembly which left just a small electrical piece of compressor left attached. It was enough to prevent the dash error.
GX460 or GX470?

Quick Reply: How do you disable dash lights after removing air suspension/AHC?