GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Differential and Transfer Case Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 05:28 AM
GX460TN
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Firstly, I want to say thank you to Acrad for all the advice and help he provides here. I don't think that's said quite enough. You, sir, are awesome!

On another note, here is what I have purchased for my 2014 GX460 (truck sits at 116k miles). I want to be 100% sure these parts and fluid will work for my truck:

Allen Socket set (apparently I only need the 10mm but this was a good deal):
Amazon Amazon

Pump (self explanatory):
Amazon Amazon

I need verification here for the crush washers. But, all parts seem to match up:
Amazon Amazon

Front and rear diff (went with Mobil1 75w-90, this is a GL-5 fluid as the manual recommends)
Amazon Amazon

Transfer case fluid, (this was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the OEM Toyota fluid and is guaranteed to meet or beat OEM specs as it is a 75w)
Amazon Amazon

Engine oil and filter and Prime ave washer gaskets (OEM Toyota filter and Castrol GTX Magnatec 0w20 oil)
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Motivx Tools oil filter wrench
Amazon Amazon

Engine Air filter (went with Wix as I have had good luck with them in the past)
Amazon Amazon

Cabin air filter (went with Spearhead as they had great reviews and also have activated carbon)
Amazon Amazon

And, in case anyone wants a covercraft sunscreen for their GX460, this is a great one!
Amazon Amazon

I was hoping Acrad could verify everything I have posted here for my piece of mind. I have spent hours compiling this list from all the posts and comments on various threads. I hope this helps others who want an all inclusive list of everything you need to do your oil, oil filter, front and rear diff, transfer case, engine air filter, cabin air filter and a sunshade!

Total cost: $251.04 (I feel this is a good price and a piece of mind knowing that you performed these yourself and will take extra care when doing the changes.) I haven't priced it out, but I'm willing to bet the front and rear diff, tc, engine oil, engine oil filter, engine air filter, cabin air filter and gasket hardware would come up to a lot more than $251.04 from a "stealership". I did not include the sunshade in this pricing for obvious reasons.

Thanks for reading!

GX460TN

Last edited by GX460TN; 07-10-20 at 05:40 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by GX460TN:
Acrad (07-10-20), bbqsoup (08-03-20), CaptRussia (07-10-20), JoshDrivin (09-04-20), MarkVII (07-10-20), MiamiGX (09-03-20), nuclearn8 (07-10-20), tonyjh63 (07-10-20) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-10-20, 06:19 AM
CaptRussia
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All looks good to me.
Old 07-10-20, 06:38 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I second that. Looks good to me too.
Old 07-10-20, 06:38 AM
GX460TN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaptRussia
All looks good to me.
The only other part I am considering is a magnetic drain plug for the TC. Or, alternatively, a rare earth magnet at the bottom of the pan. Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-10-20, 06:39 AM
GX460TN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad
I second that. Looks good to me too.
Fantastic! What about a magnetic drain plug for the TC? It doesn't come with one from what I can tell.
Old 07-10-20, 06:56 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

If you can find a direct replacement magnetic drain plug I can’t see that being a bad idea. My TC oil was the cleanest of the three that I changed.
Old 07-10-20, 07:10 AM
GX460TN
Driver School Candidate

If you can find a direct replacement magnetic drain plug I can’t see that being a bad idea. My TC oil was the cleanest of the three that I changed.
I've yet to be able to find one. If you find one, please let me know!
Old 07-10-20, 07:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I will see if I can find one. This is basically the same torsen center diff used (minus manual versus electronic activation of 4L) in 120 & 150 series Prados, GX 470s, 4th Gen V8 4Rs and '10+ Limited 4Rs so option may be listed for one of those vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
GX460TN (07-10-20)
Old 07-10-20, 07:37 AM
GX460TN
Driver School Candidate

I will see if I can find one. This is basically the same torsen center diff used (minus manual versus electronic activation of 4L) in 120 & 150 series Prados, GX 470s, 4th Gen V8 4Rs and '10+ Limited 4Rs so option may be listed for one of those vehicles.
That would be great! Thanks for looking Acrad!
Old 07-10-20, 08:14 AM
GX460TN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GX460TN
That would be great! Thanks for looking Acrad!
Does $250 for all fluids and hardware seem like an ok price? That includes the oil filter tool, the allen sockets and the crush washers, plus the pump. That doesn't include the ATF though. Going to tackle that later.
Old 07-10-20, 12:00 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 616 Likes on 371 Posts

Everything looks good.
There is no need to buy a magnetic drain plug for the TC. I verified this during my last change and documented it in that maintenance thread....
that being said, if you're dead set on spending money there is one option I am aware of, dimple magnet rare earth drain plugs. https://drainplugmagnets.com/cars/toyota-lexus/ but again this is a waste of money.

other items you may want to consider to help ease this and future maintenance and based on your mileage
- Converting to the metal engine oil filter cap and get a fumoto drain valve for the engine oil pan
- Getting the KAON front diff drain hex plug
- Skipping the pump/funnels and buy the Amsoil easy packs (no need for a pump) for the front and rear diffs and power steering (see below)
- Have you drained and refilled the transmission at all?
- Buy amsoil easy pack and do an extract and fill of the power steering reservoir for a week after it cools down from driving it once a day, see the maintenance link from the sticky
- apply some silver anti-seize on your skid plate bolts on reinstall
- get some fluid film and clean the sunroof glass gasket and paint mating surface
- lube your rear door latching mechanism
- Has the brake fluid been serviced at all (flushed and then bled?)
- Lube that drive (propeller) shaft while under her
- how's your serpentine belt? If original may want to have a good look with flashlight for evidence of dryrotting
- spark plugs original?
- clean your MAF sensor (just get some CRC spray and spray it down after removing it)
- run some fuel system cleaner thru with the new gas fillup
The following 2 users liked this post by nuclearn8:
Acrad (07-10-20), GX460TN (07-10-20)
Old 07-10-20, 06:12 PM
GX460TN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Everything looks good.
There is no need to buy a magnetic drain plug for the TC. I verified this during my last change and documented it in that maintenance thread....
that being said, if you're dead set on spending money there is one option I am aware of, dimple magnet rare earth drain plugs. https://drainplugmagnets.com/cars/toyota-lexus/ but again this is a waste of money.

other items you may want to consider to help ease this and future maintenance and based on your mileage
- Converting to the metal engine oil filter cap and get a fumoto drain valve for the engine oil pan
- Getting the KAON front diff drain hex plug
- Skipping the pump/funnels and buy the Amsoil easy packs (no need for a pump) for the front and rear diffs and power steering (see below)
- Have you drained and refilled the transmission at all?
- Buy amsoil easy pack and do an extract and fill of the power steering reservoir for a week after it cools down from driving it once a day, see the maintenance link from the sticky
- apply some silver anti-seize on your skid plate bolts on reinstall
- get some fluid film and clean the sunroof glass gasket and paint mating surface
- lube your rear door latching mechanism
- Has the brake fluid been serviced at all (flushed and then bled?)
- Lube that drive (propeller) shaft while under her
- how's your serpentine belt? If original may want to have a good look with flashlight for evidence of dryrotting
- spark plugs original?
- clean your MAF sensor (just get some CRC spray and spray it down after removing it)
- run some fuel system cleaner thru with the new gas fillup
I really appreciate you taking the time to write up this list. Thank you! I will consider doing several of these items. I know the 90k service and 100k service was performed. I'm not sure what those services include though. The radiator was replaced recently, I do know that. And the accessory belts were also replaced. Other than that, it's had regular visits to Lexus for maintenance.
nuclearn8 (07-10-20)
Old 08-03-20, 10:44 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I did the TC change over the weekend and it was straight forward. I used a small pump and filled it up until it drained out of the fill hole, a bit more than 1.5 can. The old fluid looked to be less than that.

I also greased the shafts as well as top off the rear diff as I put it a bit less when I changed it last time. Not sure what it is but it seems to shift smoother now, especially when I put into R from parking on an incline.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbqsoup:
Acrad (08-03-20), nuclearn8 (08-03-20)
Old 09-04-20, 12:06 PM
JoshDrivin
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Very helpful thread as I prepare for Toyoro's 100K baseline maintenance. Going with Ravenol TC fluid, Mobil 1 on the diffs and a new set of washers.
Old 09-05-20, 04:48 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I was looking around the Torsen site last night and saw this.

https://torsen.com/faq/

nuclearn8 (09-05-20)

Quick Reply: Differential and Transfer Case Fluid Change