GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Chassis Lubrication / Grease - Propeller Shaft / Spiders & Slide Yoke / Zerks

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-21, 07:30 AM
yz125
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Digging up an old thread to ask what is the difference between the spider and the double cardan joint? Don't both of those terms refer to a u joint? Is it saying to use lithium or moly for the u joint zerks?
Old 01-06-22, 07:22 PM
Train45
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

when properly greased should the slip joint area on the driveshaft be greasy/wet to the touch? pumped the slip joint about 10 times and stopped for fear of overfilling but the slip area is still bone dry to the touch.

just picked up a '13. first suv, new to the whole greasing driveshaft thing.
Old 01-07-22, 07:53 AM
LokiGx
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

drive around a bit and check on the slip area, if it gets covered with grease then you should be good, if not then do few more pumps. Overfilling will cause the slip joint to not compress freely.

I usually stick to around 10 pumps and do it every 10K miles
Old 01-07-22, 01:38 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Pump until some old grease squeezes out. It's not a hydraulic cylinder, it's a slip joint, you not gonna break it with grease.

The following users liked this post:
GXLUX (01-08-22)
Old 01-26-22, 06:42 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

So I now have experienced the slip yoke thump/clunk on my '21 GX. "11,000 miles ) Have had it on my two '16 GX's. Easy fix---grease the slip yoke. Never heard clunks again.

Based on the latest TSB for 2019-2021GX's Acrad posted above, Toyota states "Do NOT grease/lubricate the propeller shaft slip yoke". Told dealer that their master mechanic had recommended and done that on both of my '16s. Says he contacted Toyota who advised him NOT to lube. He filed some kind of inquiry with Lexus and is waiting to hear back. What the heck is the difference on the19 to 21's?? This TSB has been out for over a year now, and no known fix? (BTW, this my only b*tch with any of my three GX 460's)

Last edited by Hrocks; 01-26-22 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-26-22, 07:38 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus4321
Pump until some old grease squeezes out. It's not a hydraulic cylinder, it's a slip joint, you not gonna break it with grease.
True for the spider joints, but not the slip joint. As noted, you can overfill it and cause a different set of problems.
Old 01-26-22, 07:40 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrocks
So I now have experienced the slip yoke thump/clunk on my '21 GX. "11,000 miles ) Have had it on my two '16 GX's. Easy fix---grease the slip yoke. Never heard clunks again.

Based on the latest TSB for 2019-2021GX's Acrad posted above, Toyota states "Do NOT grease/lubricate the propeller shaft slip yoke". Told dealer that their master mechanic had recommended and done that on both of my '16s. Says he contacted Toyota who advised him NOT to lube. He filed some kind of inquiry with Lexus and is waiting to hear back. What the heck is the difference on the19 to 21's?? This TSB has been out for over a year now, and no known fix? (BTW, this my only b*tch with any of my three GX 460's)
Interesting. I guess it is possible they finally came up with a new design, but I'd like to know what the new process is. Or maybe the "More grease" guidance resulted in too many overfills and they are now looking to do something different. I'd like to know what.
Old 01-28-22, 05:00 AM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Received 154 Likes on 60 Posts

Great thread. I've been doing this on my 4Runners for years as the zerk placements are the same for the GX. As @Acrad mentioned it's much easier when the truck is up on jacks and you are doing a tire rotation. Throw it in neutral and simply move the wheels to get access to the zerks because I have never in all my years had the zerks all in a simple position to get my grease gun on them. Always one or two that are in the 12 o'clock position and makes it a b1tch to get to them.

One small detail I saw not being mentioned is to ensure you wipe the zerk off before you attach your grease gun. The zerk will pick up dirt and you don't want to push that dirt in while pumping grease in.

FWIW I've been using this https://www.amsoil.com/p/dominator-s...ng-grease-grg/ on all the zerks for all my 4Rs and GXs and Tacomas.

And on my 22 I do have the thump in the rear when the truck is cold taking off from a stop.... Didn't realize there was a TSB out on it. I'm going to grease the zerks in the coming days. Just turned 2K miles on the truck. Doesn't happen all the time, but definitely in the morning taking the dog for a walk going off from a stop I'll hear a dull thud in the back. Wife's 19 never heard that sound and I've greased the zerks in that truck a few times now.
Acrad (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 05:01 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bowhun2r
Great thread. I've been doing this on my 4Runners for years as the zerk placements are the same for the GX. As @Acrad mentioned it's much easier when the truck is up on jacks and you are doing a tire rotation. Throw it in neutral and simply move the wheels to get access to the zerks because I have never in all my years had the zerks all in a simple position to get my grease gun on them. Always one or two that are in the 12 o'clock position and makes it a b1tch to get to them.

One small detail I saw not being mentioned is to ensure you wipe the zerk off before you attach your grease gun. The zerk will pick up dirt and you don't want to push that dirt in while pumping grease in.

FWIW I've been using this https://www.amsoil.com/p/dominator-s...ng-grease-grg/ on all the zerks for all my 4Rs and GXs and Tacomas.

And on my 22 I do have the thump in the rear when the truck is cold taking off from a stop.... Didn't realize there was a TSB out on it. I'm going to grease the zerks in the coming days. Just turned 2K miles on the truck. Doesn't happen all the time, but definitely in the morning taking the dog for a walk going off from a stop I'll hear a dull thud in the back. Wife's 19 never heard that sound and I've greased the zerks in that truck a few times now.

how many pumps do you add and what gun are you using?
Old 01-29-22, 03:36 AM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Received 154 Likes on 60 Posts

I purchased my grease gun off amazon
Amazon Amazon
back in 2014... still works like a champ.

Regarding volume of grease, the above comments in this thread already have great examples of folks describing how much grease they are putting into the zerks.

@Acrad posted this within the thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10228777 for the pumps he uses.

Really not overly complicated. The hardest part if you do not have the truck on jacks will be getting the zerks lined up so you can easily get the grease gun on them.

Old 04-10-22, 10:58 AM
308guru
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Is anyone using this Macnaught K32-01 grease gun? Looks pretty nice. The head is suspiciously similar to the Lincoln 1134 but the barrel is different. The Lincoln comes with a longer hose too, the Macnaught looks really short.

Just wondering how it performs and longevity. I need another grease gun and I'd prefer spending another $10 on something like this than an "import" pos that won't work half the time.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by 308guru; 04-10-22 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-10-22, 11:57 AM
308guru
Driver

Just greased mine this weekend. I put the car in neutral and slid under there to do the work. Not a lot of clearance but since it was in neutral I could grab the driveshaft and rotate as necessary to get at the zerks. The car moves back and forth as you turn it so it's a bit of effort but doable.

Next time I'll put it on some sections of 2x6 or something to gain a little height. Beats taking the time to put it up on stands.

Last edited by 308guru; 04-10-22 at 12:18 PM.
william489 (11-02-22)
Old 05-01-22, 01:55 PM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Great topic - thank you for the wealth of info. Just took care of mine at 9000km (2nd oil change). Valvoline synthetic (grey tube), plus a LockNLube coupler. An easy, yet annoying job. Took a few tries to get some of the zerks aligned just right.
Acrad (05-01-22)
Old 05-01-22, 04:39 PM
308guru
Driver

It seems like the most time consuming g part of this job is cleaning all of the expelled grease off the joint so it doesn’t get flung everywhere.
nuclearn8 (05-01-22)
Old 10-15-22, 10:13 PM
mikezat
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Is drive shaft sealed on 22 GX460?

Hi! In my 2022 Lexus GX460's maitenance booklet there is a line item "
  • Lubricate Drive Shaft"
So I went to my local dealer for a complimentary 10K service and was told that the drive shaft did not have to be lubricated because it was all sealed.
May I ask all pros on this forum to confirm it is true for 22 GX460 please? If that's true then the booklet is wrong. I suspect the service advisor was full of it.