GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

shift paterns

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 07:14 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default shift paterns

Anyone know if the computer controlled auto trans on the GX "learns" your driving style, and thus shift according to what is "normal" for you? We have about 1100 miles on our so far. Mostly the wife's grocery getter around town. But we have taken it to our mountain cabin twice. 20.1 mpg since new, not too bad for a car of that weight. But anyway, I am unhappy with the trans shifting. It shifts ok, but what I really don't like is when in sport mode, you are not in complete control. So for example, when I want 4th gear, I WANT 4th gear. I don't want it to decide that 3rd is more appropriate. I told it I want 4th gear, and nothing else will do! But it takes over and decides on another gear. Isn't that the intension? That the driver can decide when to shift, and what gear they want to operate in. Isn't that what sport mode is all about? WTF!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-17, 07:33 PM
MJG87
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had an 8th Gen Legnum VR4 (Galant Wagon) with the INVECS II transmission that learns your driving style and adapts the transmission ECU to suit. It would still have a safe working limit it believed you needed to up/down**** at when in Tiptronic mode to keep the engine and transmission safe.

My GS460 has a bit of a mind of its own when driving through twisty mountain roads. I believe it is just the car maintaining some autonomy in manual shift mode to prevent anything it deems dangerous to the car.
Old 05-17-17, 09:47 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmanb777
Anyone know if the computer controlled auto trans on the GX "learns" your driving style, and thus shift according to what is "normal" for you? We have about 1100 miles on our so far. Mostly the wife's grocery getter around town. But we have taken it to our mountain cabin twice. 20.1 mpg since new, not too bad for a car of that weight. But anyway, I am unhappy with the trans shifting. It shifts ok, but what I really don't like is when in sport mode, you are not in complete control. So for example, when I want 4th gear, I WANT 4th gear. I don't want it to decide that 3rd is more appropriate. I told it I want 4th gear, and nothing else will do! But it takes over and decides on another gear. Isn't that the intension? That the driver can decide when to shift, and what gear they want to operate in. Isn't that what sport mode is all about? WTF!!!!!!!!!
NO, this is not a manual transmission but instead it is a computer that mimics the shifting. In Sport mode the controller will NOT auto shift pass the gear you are in ( Example - if you are in 4th gear and at 45 MPH, going up to 60 mph and it still keeps you in 4th gear...but if you are in Auto, it is 6th gear by now); however, the controller will auto downshift if needed to prevent damaging the car, thus it decided 3rd gear is appropriate.
Old 05-17-17, 02:55 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I think most in last 10 years have some adaptive functionality. Undoubtedly other models had some to a degree before but fewer models.

I do agree this is the least controllable AT in Sport/Manual mode but probably few actually change it up much in this rig. I use mine all the time though and manually shift to give little extra engine braking in traffic or when towing.
Old 05-17-17, 08:49 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

When mountain driving, I prefer to control what gear its in. both for breaking and accelerating out of a turn. So it downshifts when it doesn't need to. Mostly when coming out of a turn. But just something I need to get used to. I need to adapt my driving to this vehicle, more than any I have ever owned. Most I could just get in and drive effectively. This one has taken more getting used to. Just too much computer junk interfering with good driving style. Computers trying to make up for the average poor driver.
Old 05-18-17, 05:28 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2006 GX 470 and a 2017 GX, and the 17's shifting pattern is garbage. They definitely program it for fuel economy and not performance. Its just the way it is.
Old 05-18-17, 09:45 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

The gearing is kinda off sometimes especially coming out of a turn and merging into freeway, you kind have to step into it. But it is smoooooth.
I just found out today that if you in S mode and in a lower gear, hold the shifter UP for a second or so will automatically go to the highest gear, which is 6. It doesn't work for downshift which is understandable to prevent accidental shifting to 1 from higher speed and damage something.
Old 05-18-17, 03:19 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

For the brave to try... :-)

VR Tuned Gearbox Tuning Lexus GX460 GX470

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...150794664.html

The all-new 2016 VR Tuned Tool is a fully reworked and reprogrammed new plug n play OBD tool that not only unlocks manufacturer's transmission settings within the vehicles control modules to give better gear shifts, increased performance and release torque. It now also provides adaptation reset as standard helping you get the most from your vehicle, which provides an essential component in your vehicles modifications and upgrade path.

The new updated 2016 VR Tuned Tool was developed with three advanced functional requirements:
  • 1. The need to improve and optimize the gear shift speeds and modify torque settings in the modern automatic gearing systems to improve the overall driving experience.
  • 2.The need to create a simple to use Plug n Play OBD solution which is easy to install and at an affordable price.
  • 3. Provide the end user with a tool that allows the vehicles adaptation settings to be reset to factory, simply and efficiently.
How does it do?The all-new 2016 VR Tuned Flash Tool integrates with the vehicles onboard communications network via OBD to access the ECU, VR Tuned and Convenience modules to adjust/reset the shift strategies within the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) control components to "point" or "re address" these strategies to the best and most optimal settings.

This includes changing the transmission shift speed pointer to a faster/different setting. The internal components that make up the mechanics of the transmission have a wide range of tolerance and multiple settings allowing manufacturers in most cases to use single components across a whole range of vehicles, from a VW golf to a Lamborghini Aventador. They all contain similar if not the same generation components, usually built in the same factory, but have model specific programs that are used for their specific application.

The New 2016 VR Tuned provides a Clean Start Point

Over time your vehicle may of adapted to a slower shift due to a previous owner or the way the vehicle has been driven over time. Unique to the new 2016 VR Tuned Tool we have now added the extra function of resetting this to provide a 'Clean slate' install. This is an essential step when modifying or tuning as it gives the user a factory clean reference point and base line. This is the first time we have added this feature to our new line of VR Tuned products and only available on the new 2016!

What's all the Tourque About?Torque Limits are also set in various systems and control modules within the vehicle; this is set by the manufacturer and is one of the easy ways to electronically limit power in certain models of vehicles. This allows the manufacturer to release many different power variants with different driving characteristics with only a single engine. This is a much more cost effective way of creating a vehicle range without the need to manufacture multiple engines at different power levels. We all know how many power variants are available for the VW Golf 2.0TDi. Same engine different software settings.

The NEW 2016 VR Tuned Releases Lost PowerBy simply unlocking, resetting and amending the torque settings to the various other manufacturers settings we can allow the vehicle to produce and deliver power safely and still stay within the manufacturers specified limits.

This style of 'derestricting' ensures that key settings such as clamping force, slip, torque limits, shift speeds etc. all remain within not only manufacturers spec, but also component spec, thus never exceeding safety of shortening component life.
Old 05-18-17, 04:15 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

For the brave to try... :-)
I have considered this. I like to manually shift to have personal control rather than have the module decide my shifting points though. I don't mind pulling the shifter to the left and it is kinda fun
Old 05-18-17, 04:25 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tecman
I have considered this. I like to manually shift to have personal control rather than have the module decide my shifting points though. I don't mind pulling the shifter to the left and it is kinda fun
Yeah... I do it as well in all of my other manu-matic cars. My Wrangler has a manual so required to row the gears in that one.
Old 05-18-17, 08:34 PM
MJG87
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Read "Pulling the shifter to the left", got confused by what you meant. Realised your car is opposite to mine in Australia.