GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-21, 12:39 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
Not sure about about reusable with deodorizer..
My guess would be no since once you wash it it goes away. Duh. I had a blonde moment, though I’m not blonde.
Old 12-31-21, 12:48 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

... a deodorizer is a scent that simply masks the smell in an attempt to ignore ... so best to deal with the source of the odor and do a complete interior detail. There is no need to purchase a filter with a deodorizer ... buy the K&N Cabin Filter and put a few drops of essential oil of your preferred "flavor" on the gauze element. Boom ... done, and can be refreshed when the filter element is regularly cleaned. This allows you to use a natural scent versus something synthetic like "Febreeze" that smells like a $50 prostitute.

Last edited by ASE; 12-31-21 at 12:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
AirForce8 (01-01-22), WRD4chano (12-31-21)
Old 12-31-21, 01:03 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Originally Posted by ASE
... a deodorizer is a scent that simply masks the smell in an attempt to ignore ... so best to deal with the source of the odor and do a complete interior detail. There is no need to purchase a filter with a deodorizer ... buy the K&N Cabin Filter and put a few drops of essential oil of your preferred "flavor" on the gauze element. Boom ... done, and can be refreshed when the filter element is regularly cleaned. This allows you to use a natural scent versus something synthetic like "Febreeze" that smells like a $50 prostitute.
Wasn’t buying it to mask a smell. Was buying it because I like fresh scents. I use scented oils in our diffusers in the house so I might consider that option thank you.
Old 12-31-21, 02:16 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

I put the
"Fresh Breeze" by Arm & Hammer scented FRAM "Fresh Breeze" by Arm & Hammer scented FRAM
in my wife's car (Kia Sedona) and it smells nothing like the Febreze spray. Don't confuse this product with Febreze! The Febreze products (not limited to the spray) makes me so nauseous to the point of vomiting. No exaggeration. It's so repulsive to me. The scent in this FRAM cabin air filter is very light and non-offensive. My friend decided to try the same one for his GX 460 (@ 80,000 miles) last week and he agrees that it's very pleasant to take in. I'm going to use the same one for when it's my GX' turn to change the cabin air filter. It goes really well with a fading
cherry car air freshener cherry car air freshener
, which I've always used in all of my cars (had to buy in bulk at one point for 5 cars). I have very, very sensitive olfactory senses and terrible, terrible allergies so I am VERY picky when it comes to scents, etc. And the best part, from my experience so far, this cabin air filter works great and it's the cheapest from a known brand name on Amazon. I say that's a very hard to beat combo.

Just my 2c!
Old 12-31-21, 03:04 PM
ASE
Pole Position

... could not agree more. Used the "Febreeze" name only to bag on the multitude of synthetic scents that accost our senses given marketers have decided that even garbage bags now need these chemicals. IMHO these products are an insult to my senses and completely unnecessary. Natural essential oils accomplish the same without the chemical side effect of making one vomit to purge from ones senses.

Last edited by ASE; 12-31-21 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-31-21, 04:10 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Yeah, these odor-masking sprays are disgusting. It's not even perfuming over the odor, it just punches your nose so you can't breathe, which to me isn't a solution to odor. I stay away from these sprays. Period.

Baking soda, or whatever Arm & Hammer uses to eat odors, to create this "fresh breeze" (I'm assuming while using the A/C, because the heater wouldn't be much of a breeze --LOL) on the other hand, is the opposite.
Old 12-31-21, 04:33 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Originally Posted by Seanzky
I put the "Fresh Breeze" by Arm & Hammer scented FRAM in my wife's car (Kia Sedona) and it smells nothing like the Febreze spray. Don't confuse this product with Febreze! The Febreze products (not limited to the spray) makes me so nauseous to the point of vomiting. No exaggeration. It's so repulsive to me. The scent in this FRAM cabin air filter is very light and non-offensive. My friend decided to try the same one for his GX 460 (@ 80,000 miles) last week and he agrees that it's very pleasant to take in. I'm going to use the same one for when it's my GX' turn to change the cabin air filter. It goes really well with a fading cherry car air freshener, which I've always used in all of my cars (had to buy in bulk at one point for 5 cars). I have very, very sensitive olfactory senses and terrible, terrible allergies so I am VERY picky when it comes to scents, etc. And the best part, from my experience so far, this cabin air filter works great and it's the cheapest from a known brand name on Amazon. I say that's a very hard to beat combo.

Just my 2c!
That’s the filter I use. I bought the Chinese K&N knockoffs Acrad posted and will give those a try.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-31-21, 05:31 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
That’s the filter I use. I bought the Chinese K&N knockoffs Acrad posted and will give those a try.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788M5HTF...FSRMYBZBZ28JE9
I wouldn't dismiss the effectiveness of that filter, knockoff or not. It could very well be a very good replacement to the OEM ones. From experience, though, the washable air filters like the K&N required their oil to help the filter catch fine debris, etc. In fact, I sprayed all my K&N filters including the pod filters on turbos, cold air intakes, etc. I tried once without the spray (I ran out) and I saw dirt on the other side of the filter. My guess was it likely lost its effectiveness a lot sooner, because I didn't spray the oil on?
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (01-01-22)
Old 01-01-22, 09:53 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Seanzky
I wouldn't dismiss the effectiveness of that filter, knockoff or not. It could very well be a very good replacement to the OEM ones. From experience, though, the washable air filters like the K&N required their oil to help the filter catch fine debris, etc. In fact, I sprayed all my K&N filters including the pod filters on turbos, cold air intakes, etc. I tried once without the spray (I ran out) and I saw dirt on the other side of the filter. My guess was it likely lost its effectiveness a lot sooner, because I didn't spray the oil on?
Sorry, but you must be confused ... we are talking about a Cabin Filter ... it is NOT oiled like an Engine Filter ... they have a "Refresh Kit" that has the appropriate Cleaner and Refresh ... so to spray the typical K&N Red Oil on a Cabin Filter is not such a great idea, and possibly dangerous given this product is not intended for human consumption (breathing). So yes, they do have an appropriate (re)treatment spray for the Cabin Filter to capture particulates.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
MrTorgue (01-01-22), Seanzky (01-01-22)
Old 01-01-22, 10:31 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ASE
Sorry, but you must be confused ... we are talking about a Cabin Filter ... it is NOT oiled like an Engine Filter ... they have a "Refresh Kit" that has the appropriate Cleaner and Refresh ... so to spray the typical K&N Red Oil on a Cabin Filter is not such a great idea, and possibly dangerous given this product is not intended for human consumption (breathing). So yes, they do have an appropriate (re)treatment spray for the Cabin Filter to capture particulates.
Ah, right you are. I was confused.
Old 01-02-22, 04:40 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

synthetic fresheners and oils are toxic. best to skip. any odor issues try an ozone generator. and you dont need to use hoses like shown on youtube or introduce outside air. but do remove the cabin filter and set system to recirculate. an hour at first, then air out 30-45 min. remember that it can also age certain plastics and rubbers so less is better.
Old 09-05-22, 02:50 PM
Rob6656
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Air Filter

Hey guys!

Is there an interior cabin air filter for the rear a/c system? I'm not mechanically handy at all and wasn't sure if there was, or how to find it.

Thanks so much for the help!
Old 09-05-22, 03:30 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob6656
Hey guys!

Is there an interior cabin air filter for the rear a/c system? I'm not mechanically handy at all and wasn't sure if there was, or how to find it.

Thanks so much for the help!
Theres only one for the entire system. It’s at the back of the glove box. It’s the same as most Lexus/Toyota vehicles. Look up GXBob’s video on YouTube if you need a walk through.
The following users liked this post:
IanG (09-05-22)
Old 09-05-22, 03:58 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 377 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
Look up GXBob’s video on YouTube if you need a walk through.
Yup, or like any mechanic would say "refer to the owner's manual"
Old 09-06-22, 06:17 AM
ASE
Pole Position

K&N makes a reusable replacement cabin filter ... is not oiled like an engine filter... nice upgrade... has same wire mesh as engine filters which prevents mice from using this as an access point into the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Cabin Air Filter