GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-22, 02:24 PM
Neilchalas
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed a Spearhead branded HEPA filter. I have no idea if it is better air quality but there is almost no reduction in airflow compared to the 1 year old OEM Lexus filter that was in there. Cheap enough, will have to wait until pollen season to see if it makes any difference to my allergies

Amazon Amazon

The GX filter is always CAKED with dirt and debris. My Mercedes filter by comparison looks brand new after 25k miles. I think it is just a bad design with the exterior fresh air vent design and the windshield cowl. Always full of pollen, leaves, dirt etc
Old 09-07-22, 03:52 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Neilchalas
I just installed a Spearhead branded HEPA filter. I have no idea if it is better air quality but there is almost no reduction in airflow compared to the 1 year old OEM Lexus filter that was in there. Cheap enough, will have to wait until pollen season to see if it makes any difference to my allergies

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZHKLLQB...roduct_details

The GX filter is always CAKED with dirt and debris. My Mercedes filter by comparison looks brand new after 25k miles. I think it is just a bad design with the exterior fresh air vent design and the windshield cowl. Always full of pollen, leaves, dirt etc
... and mouse crap ... which is always nice to breathe given the deer mouse virus spreads via airborne particles from the same. The OEM filter is a treat for mice ... can chew thru the filter material with no effort.
Old 09-07-22, 04:11 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

This is the one I've got :
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-08-22, 07:30 PM
Neilchalas
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
... and mouse crap ... which is always nice to breathe given the deer mouse virus spreads via airborne particles from the same. The OEM filter is a treat for mice ... can chew thru the filter material with no effort.
I wonder if you could put in some stainless steel mesh screen wherever they are getting in. It would be worth it to me to keep them away from the fresh air intake specifically. I have a property that has a Dominoes pizza place as neighbors. We had to bury stainless steel mesh about 6" deep around every opening to fortify. Doubled it up and they don't even touch it because I think it just shreds their teeth. Its a very tight, sharp weave I think its actually a specific product for anti-rodent proofing, kinda like razor wire. Works great

Last edited by Neilchalas; 09-08-22 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-09-22, 08:07 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neilchalas
I wonder if you could put in some stainless steel mesh screen wherever they are getting in. It would be worth it to me to keep them away from the fresh air intake specifically. I have a property that has a Dominoes pizza place as neighbors. We had to bury stainless steel mesh about 6" deep around every opening to fortify. Doubled it up and they don't even touch it because I think it just shreds their teeth. Its a very tight, sharp weave I think its actually a specific product for anti-rodent proofing, kinda like razor wire. Works great
Don't know the upstream air pathway to the cabin filter. As stated ... it always has major debris which suggests it is unimpeded ... which explains mice being able to get into the interior cabin. The K&N filter wire mesh will not allow mice to pass beyond the fresh air supply side of the filter ...

Last edited by ASE; 09-09-22 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-09-22, 12:22 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

After driving on dusty roads, I bought a new replacement cabin air filter for my 2022 from the local Toyota/Lexus dealer. It has charcoal while the original did not.

I only buy filters (oil/Air/Cabin) from the local dealer, too many counterfeits out there and I suspect any sold on ebay or Amazon would be also (unless one can confirm it is sold and shipped from a US dealer). Some years back (over a decade) there was a rash of engine damages caused by counterfeit oil filters. The counterfeiters are really good at making the packaging and filters look OEM. Who knows what material the counterfeiters would use in cabin filters (asbestos etc.)
The following users liked this post:
malmon (09-10-22)
Old 09-09-22, 12:27 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GX4602011
After driving on dusty roads, I bought a new replacement cabin air filter for my 2022 from the local Toyota/Lexus dealer. It has charcoal while the original did not.

I only buy filters (oil/Air/Cabin) from the local dealer, too many counterfeits out there and I suspect any sold on ebay or Amazon would be also (unless one can confirm it is sold and shipped from a US dealer). Some years back (over a decade) there was a rash of engine damages caused by counterfeit oil filters. The counterfeiters are really good at making the packaging and filters look OEM. Who knows what material the counterfeiters would use in cabin filters (asbestos etc.)
Agree ... NEVER EVER buy auto parts from Amazon or eBay ... many products are counterfeit ... Amazon / eBay is not the seller ... they are a fulfillment / transactional company ... so have absolutely no accountability as to the product legitimacy being sold. Buy from on-line wholesale Lexus dealerships that offer 30-odd % discount with no sales tax and free shipping.

Last edited by ASE; 09-09-22 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-11-22, 07:47 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

For a cabin air filter...Uh it isn't going to damage the car...LOL
Old 09-11-22, 08:01 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Statman
For a cabin air filter...Uh it isn't going to damage the car...LOL
... Uh ... paying close to full price for a sub-standard (counterfeit) product ... LOL ... and breathe air filtered thru non-regulated media ... yes, the earlier post that mentioned asbestos ... they are not off whatsoever. The cheapest non-regulated materials many times use banned materials ... including heavy metals.

Last edited by ASE; 09-11-22 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-13-22, 09:33 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I have bought several different kinds over the years, but this particular one i like the best, you cant beat the price either if you have 2 vehicles that need these filters (as we do)

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-13-22, 12:12 PM
ASE
Pole Position

... so spend $60,000+ on a vehicle ... then split hairs on spending an extra $4.00 on a cabin filter ... never understood this logic. Agree ... dealership prices are 30+% inflated ... but there are many on-line Lexus dealerships that sell OEM parts at 30-40% discount. Why purchase no-name Chinese products ? ... especially if cabin air quality related ? Does one think they use regulated materials? ... hmmm ... the cost savings comes from somewhere ... nothing is free.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
Nickk6 (09-13-22), WRD4chano (09-14-22)