GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Shocks and Struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-20, 11:58 AM
cltchmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out dobinsons twin tubes. Popular for prados in other parts of the world as well as many off roaders... I'm looking at the IMS and drove a friends 470 fitted with them and really liked it.. granted he had a 3" lift too.

The rear is higher for heavy loads and towing. You can purchase a leveling kit or slight lift by adding springs to level it out as well as soften your ride. If you tow or have heavy loads after leveling it will sag the rear though.

Lastly with 14k on the clock... could be just the nature of a body on frame truck. They will never ride as smooth as unibody cars by design. You will always feel some bumps specifically on corrugated roads.
Old 12-29-20, 12:33 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

You won't find a shock with specs specifically for GX. 4Runner or GX470 is closest. As long as you keep the stock spring rate, it should be close.

Originally Posted by alj
4runner is much lighter car so I doubt 4runner shocks will be ok. Tundra is closer to GX by weight but probably has different geometry.

Thanks for the suggestions for eibach - i will have to check.

For KYB shocks - isn't it just a replacement OEM shock? I e its the same?
Old 12-29-20, 12:42 PM
alj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cltchmoney
Lastly with 14k on the clock... could be just the nature of a body on frame truck. They will never ride as smooth as unibody cars by design. You will always feel some bumps specifically on corrugated roads.
Thanks for dobinson suggestion, will check.

I thought about body on frame being a nature but watched video of 120 and 150 platform comparison. And i see 120 (which is GX470) is being much softer on bumps than 150.
Here's the video where 120 and 150 prado are tested going through the speed bumps while holding glasses of...... water :-)
(the test is done on about 20th minute, the white headliner car is 150, the dark headliner is 120 one)
Its hard to judge this by watching video but from seeing those glasses jumping it looks like this is exactly what i experience on GX460 and GX470 probably does not have this issue being almost the same car.

The author blames this on KDSS (which 120 does not have) however KDSS does not work when both wheels of the axle hit speed bump at the same time. SO, my speculations are that the difference is in shocks, Toyota put stiffer shocks in newer platform to increase safety rating and ride quality on the pavement which sacrificed comfort, and it makes sense because I see tendency of people going towards stiffer shocks and larger rims where me in fact went the other direction, replaced 18' rims with 17' ones and want softer shocks. I e this becomes not a problem of the car (such as body on frame issue) but a problem me not belonging to the majority of customers. The air suspension is still a big question in term of what contributes to to stiffness more - shocks or springs, and I'd prefer to not install too soft springs cause I tow things occasionally. Understanding that you cannot have everything and there is compromise somewhere I wonder if, just replacing stock shock with a higher quality ones, will improve situation enough to be acceptable without any sacrifice.

Last edited by alj; 12-29-20 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-29-20, 02:46 PM
cltchmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm doubtful you'll get a drastic improvement by only changing the shock absorbers unless they're damaged some how with such low mileage. The video you posted is a poor test as he's holding the glasses of water with his hand amongst other things. I think my best suggestion for you is to ride in other GX's with different suspension mods and see if you like it or notice a difference. If you're spending a lot of time on gravel and dirt roads a small lift may be the way to go. It will likely sacrifice itself on freeway and city (more body roll, more floaty, worse mileage).
Old 12-29-20, 06:22 PM
alj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cltchmoney
I'm doubtful you'll get a drastic improvement by only changing the shock absorbers unless they're damaged some how with such low mileage. The video you posted is a poor test as he's holding the glasses of water with his hand amongst other things. I think my best suggestion for you is to ride in other GX's with different suspension mods and see if you like it or notice a difference. If you're spending a lot of time on gravel and dirt roads a small lift may be the way to go. It will likely sacrifice itself on freeway and city (more body roll, more floaty, worse mileage).
Good idea about test rides, I may just try that.

I don't want to do a lift, I did not have a single situation where lift was needed (even when crawling rocks), but it has significant safety consequences increasing chance of rollover not only on the highway but in offroad scenarios as well. Also lift puts front CV joints out of whack and they fail prematurely, also KDSS will be misaligned and will limit suspension travel. More problems than benefits IMO :-) I remember changing shocks on my motorcycle and it changes everything there. Yes I have some doubts that shock will make huge improvement, however people are willing to pay $1000-$2000 for premium aftermarket shocks, (like FOX) which makes me thing they do serve some purpose other than being shiny and colorful :-)
Old 12-29-20, 06:50 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

This company is coming out with a KDSS control switch that they claim can soften ride.

https://blackgatecustoms.com/product...-toggle-switch
Old 12-29-20, 07:48 PM
alj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad
This company is coming out with a KDSS control switch that they claim can soften ride.

https://blackgatecustoms.com/product...-toggle-switch

Oh this is interesting, I did not know about 12mph threshold. How they do it? Some plugin into CAM bus? I wonder if one just can reprogram/override this speed to 30mph or something.
Old 12-29-20, 08:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

This is from KDSS thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...roblems-2.html

DefaultFeedback from Blackgate Customs: "We don't have full production photos yet, we're working on getting the last oem connector to make it fully plug and play. Everything else is ready to go and we've been testing a pre-production version for months now on our KDSS 4runner. @blackgatecustoms and @bg_4rnr on Instagram are where most of our postings go and we've been updating with the progress on the switch and all of our other products as well."

"And the 4Runner/GX460 are identical underneath so it will work on the 460. We don't have a 470 to test on, but we'd love to see if the connector/electrical control portion of the system is the same because then it would work. I'll head over to that group and maybe we'll be able to find someone who would be willing to either take pictures or drop by and let us check it out."

On the upcoming Blackgate Customs option I asked about install, price and just installing on stock suspension vehicles.

"it will be in line with the KDSS control system (the plug hidden along the frame under the drivers door). You'll just need to run the wires from there into the engine bay and cab for the switch and you're done. Price wise we are unfortunately still at the mercy of our choked Covid supply chain but we will let you know as soon as we know.And it will make a huge difference on the factory suspension as well, it gives you that much more control of what you're doing in every situation"
Old 04-09-21, 07:15 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
ASE (04-09-21), JayPixelGX (04-09-21)
Old 04-09-21, 07:54 AM
JayPixelGX
Driver

Received 124 Likes on 46 Posts

Agreed the Airlift system so far is very effective and install pretty straight forward.

I needed to move my trailer this week due to new roof install (on the house) and used the airlift system. Worked great and no leaks after 2 weeks of install.

Plenty of videos online but simply jack up one side at a time run Air tubing and aejust bump stocks with long razer knife and use soapy waters to squeeze airbag in place.

Inflation point
Airlift 1000 is about $80
I already had the "stronger" Dobinson coils but still had sag while towing. So far airlift corrects this even without WDH.
Old 04-09-21, 08:01 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

This approach works great. Installed the Air-Lift on a 4-Runner, but went with Firestone "Coil-Rite" version on the GX460 ... the hose connectors on the air bag are more robust in comparison.

Last edited by ASE; 04-09-21 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-09-21, 10:42 AM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

If I already have the Timbrens, do I need the Airlifts? they are cheap enough and look easy to install. One video showed removing the coils but another just showed squeezing them flat and pushing through the coils....Opinions please.
Old 04-09-21, 11:22 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shmelvin1
If I already have the Timbrens, do I need the Airlifts? they are cheap enough and look easy to install. One video showed removing the coils but another just showed squeezing them flat and pushing through the coils....Opinions please.
If you have the patience, pushing thru the coils works so try that first ... nothing lost and saves time if successful.
Old 04-09-21, 01:31 PM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

But do I need them?
Old 04-09-21, 02:14 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shmelvin1
But do I need them?
I also have Timbren's ... and these are necessary IMHO to manage rear-end sag under (heavy) towing load, and are also excellent to adjust for drivers side lean. Both are an excellent combination. The difference .... these provide a range of adjustability via air pressure versus the static Timbren's.

Last edited by ASE; 04-09-21 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Shocks and Struts