shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Great....Thanks
Old 05-10-21, 12:40 PM
hoonshyne
Driver School Candidate

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GX460 towing: recommendations on rear adjustable shocks?

We'll be using our 2017 GX460 for some towing duties (travel trailer specs below).

We'll be using the factory Class IV receiver and a weight distribution hitch but I'd like to research if there's benefit to adjustable rear shocks to help with stabilization and handling.

Are there some good adjustable shocks that GX owners go to for this type of application?

Any other recommendations for towing?

Trailer:
  • Travel trailer
  • Dry Weight: 3,000 lbs.
  • GVWR: 3,920 lbs
  • Payload Capacity: 927 lbs.
  • Hitch Weight: 461 lbs.
Current GX setup:
  • Stock suspension (GX Premium)
  • Tires: 265/65R17 Michelin Defender LTX M/S (stock tire diameter)
  • Factory Class IV hitch receiver
  • Soon to be acquired weight distribution hitch

Last edited by hoonshyne; 05-10-21 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-10-21, 12:55 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I know @JayPixelGX has some aftermarket air suspension on his GX but as far as I know, he is the only one that is running airbags for the purpose of towing. It might be worth looking into some of his threads of old and see if you can find any info on that. Is your GX equipped with the factory air suspension or just the coils?

Also, I pulled a 3,000lbs trailer earlier this year, and the sag was not too bad since the GX is raked 1 inch higher at the back from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
hoonshyne (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 12:58 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Sorry for the double post, here is some more info I found in another thread. Hope this helps!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ing-shock.html
hoonshyne (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 01:34 PM
hoonshyne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ab175
I know @JayPixelGX has some aftermarket air suspension on his GX but as far as I know, he is the only one that is running airbags for the purpose of towing. It might be worth looking into some of his threads of old and see if you can find any info on that. Is your GX equipped with the factory air suspension or just the coils?

Also, I pulled a 3,000lbs trailer earlier this year, and the sag was not too bad since the GX is raked 1 inch higher at the back from the factory.

Sorry for the double post, here is some more info I found in another thread. Hope this helps!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ing-shock.html

Thanks for the input.

While you were towing your 3,000lb trailer, did you feel that the factory setup was adequate or could there be benefit with a modification such as shocks?
Old 05-10-21, 01:43 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hoonshyne
Thanks for the input.

While you were towing your 3,000lb trailer, did you feel that the factory setup was adequate or could there be benefit with a modification such as shocks?
Suspension-wise, I felt that I was ok, the GX was pretty stable with that much weight. If there was anything that felt inadequate, it would probably be the brakes but the GX's poor brakes are a well-known issue I think. I would try pulling your trailer without making any modifications and see if you are comfortable before investing in a load-leveling suspension. I should caveat this by saying that I am not very experienced in terms of towing so take my opinion with a grain of salt. It is possible that there could be a vast improvement to be had with a higher load shock, or leveling air suspension, but to be honest, I wouldn't know. I was satisfied with the suspension performance with just the factory coils but I do not have any experience with other suspension setups so basically, YMMV.

Last edited by Ab175; 05-10-21 at 01:52 PM.
hoonshyne (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 02:33 PM
JayPixelGX
Driver

Received 124 Likes on 46 Posts

With the WDH you should be just fine. I had this setup but with factory bags originally. The factory bags were nice for keeping rear elevated when going up steep hills ect. Also made detaching the hitch a little easier.

With the WDH one tip that can help is following these steps
  • attach ball hitch (and lock it in)
  • Use trailers tongue jack to raise the trailer slightly (this takes the weight off the GX)
  • Attach and secure WDH
  • Raise the tongue jack so all weight is back on GX and you should be pretty good

If you load the trailer on the hitch and just attach the WDH you will still have rear sag,

The airlift system I installed after adding the Dobinson lift is nice and is a cheap option $80 if you run into issues in the future and want this as an option.

The airbags did save me the other day when I moved my trailer out of the driveway, was trying to be quick so I didn't attach the the WDH and didn't mess with the bags. I had rear sag and tried to go up a neighbors driveway. The neighbors driveway is pretty steep and the trailer rubbed the ground. I was able to inflate my bags to 30psi and the back end raised up getting the trailer off the ground. One of those "glad I had this moments".

hoonshyne (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 02:51 PM
hoonshyne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JayPixelGX
With the WDH you should be just fine. I had this setup but with factory bags originally. The factory bags were nice for keeping rear elevated when going up steep hills ect. Also made detaching the hitch a little easier.

With the WDH one tip that can help is following these steps
  • attach ball hitch (and lock it in)
  • Use trailers tongue jack to raise the trailer slightly (this takes the weight off the GX)
  • Attach and secure WDH
  • Raise the tongue jack so all weight is back on GX and you should be pretty good

If you load the trailer on the hitch and just attach the WDH you will still have rear sag,

The airlift system I installed after adding the Dobinson lift is nice and is a cheap option $80 if you run into issues in the future and want this as an option.

The airbags did save me the other day when I moved my trailer out of the driveway, was trying to be quick so I didn't attach the the WDH and didn't mess with the bags. I had rear sag and tried to go up a neighbors driveway. The neighbors driveway is pretty steep and the trailer rubbed the ground. I was able to inflate my bags to 30psi and the back end raised up getting the trailer off the ground. One of those "glad I had this moments".
Thank you.

1.) Is there such thing as WDH 'overkill'? Tongue weight on my trailer is going to be ~460lbs. I was looking at WDH's that were spec'd at 1,000lbs.
2.) I see that there are 2" ball and 2 5/16" ball options. I assume the larger is 'better', yea?
3.) How much lift from your Dobinson setup?
Old 05-10-21, 08:46 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

I towed a 24’ 5500 lb travel trailer around Utah up and down winding mountain passes and in some decent cross winds at 65-70 mph. Stability wise, I thought it did quite well. I didnt find that the shocks needed help. It was fine with just my Equalizer wdh.

i do have airflift air bags in my rear coils. They are NOT for supporting the tongue weight. They are inflated before hooking up the trailer to level the truck due to the weight of the cargo and people.

If you are getting sway or bounce its likely due to the setup of your wdh or the loading of your trailer. My trailer naturally runs pretty tongue heavy which is good for stability. And don’t skimp out, get a decent wdh with built in sway control like an Equal-i-zer.

Last edited by skrypj; 05-10-21 at 08:50 PM.
hoonshyne (05-10-21)
Old 05-11-21, 06:53 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I too added airbags in the rear to help level the GX for towing (also around 3,000lbs dry). I pump them up to around 25-30 psi when towing; it helps a bunch to keep the front end down and keep the steering "normal." I added some stiffer Bilstein shocks in the rear to round out the upgrades.
Old 05-11-21, 09:26 AM
hoonshyne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jacket
I too added airbags in the rear to help level the GX for towing (also around 3,000lbs dry). I pump them up to around 25-30 psi when towing; it helps a bunch to keep the front end down and keep the steering "normal." I added some stiffer Bilstein shocks in the rear to round out the upgrades.
Do you use a WDH?
Old 05-11-21, 01:38 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I do not. Standard hitch with a homebrew anti-sway attachment.
Old 06-06-21, 07:26 PM
spdski
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocks/Struts

So, I'm new here and if I filed to find the right post, maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Anyway, I recently bought a 2017 GX460 Premium with 45k miles on it. I had it inspected and am told that one shock and one strut are slowly leaking. Having gotten over my surprise with the early component failure, I'm now planning to replace the shocks/struts all around, but nothing seems to be listed specifically for the GX (except for one set of KYB struts).

I've noticed threads for bilstein 5100s, but don't know which specific parts order. So, I'm looking at good options that won't break the bank. I'm not opposed to keeping stock-like ride. I also wouldn't mind an upgrade.

How can I find the right parts?! Should I be searching for 5th gen 4runner stuff? Something else?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-21, 06:01 AM
Jmanscotch
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For stock replacements, use an dealership supplier (my preference is MyLParts.com, a Lexus dealership ran online retailer in California, promo code "CL5" nets you a discount). Be sure to enter YOUR GXs specifics, or better VIN, the parts I'm listing are for an unspecific 2017 GX Premium.

Front strut: https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D

Rear shock: https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...QtNmwtdjgtZ2Fz

For any aftermarket options, they *should* be listing it as compatible with a GX460, but yes, often the 4Runner and FJ Cruiser stuff will work, but my advice is to find a brand you like/think will work well and reach out to the manufacturer or approved supplier to confirm fitment and part numbers.

There are some weight differences between those three different rigs and thus should be considered when changing the suspension from something rated for one to something rated for another.

Old 06-09-21, 09:06 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by spdski
So, I'm new here and if I filed to find the right post, maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Anyway, I recently bought a 2017 GX460 Premium with 45k miles on it. I had it inspected and am told that one shock and one strut are slowly leaking. Having gotten over my surprise with the early component failure, I'm now planning to replace the shocks/struts all around, but nothing seems to be listed specifically for the GX (except for one set of KYB struts).

I've noticed threads for bilstein 5100s, but don't know which specific parts order. So, I'm looking at good options that won't break the bank. I'm not opposed to keeping stock-like ride. I also wouldn't mind an upgrade.

How can I find the right parts?! Should I be searching for 5th gen 4runner stuff? Something else?

Thanks!
Bilstein 5100's work no problem. Call https://www.toyteclifts.com/ and have a conversation. Very knowledgeable with hands-on experience ... they are not just a parts retailer who reference a fitment catalog.

BTW ... KYB shocks are not worth the labor for installation ... look at your immediate experience ... leaking at 45,000 miles with mediocre performance anyway. Do yourself a favor and install something that will represent an upgrade in terms of shock performance and durability. IMHO the Bilstein 5100's fit that definition.

Last edited by ASE; 06-09-21 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Shocks and Struts