GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Shocks and Struts

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-21, 11:59 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Make sure it really is leaking, this is a common upsell at places. I have had techs say the suspension was leaking and found no evidence of it. I've also had dealerships say the brake pads were low and weren't.

I'm not sure on this model, but the last generation GX had the same front struts and rear shocks as the 4 Runner (without ride control). I used a "quick strut" from Monroe for a 4 Runner and was really happy with the ride quality. It was the strut inside the spring, ready to install. You might also be able to use a Toyota factory front strut for a 4 Runner, but I haven't done the research. Brands like KYB and Bilstein are going to be a firmer ride, make sure you know what you're signing up for. I personally want a smooth ride for a luxury SUV.

The following users liked this post:
DallasDave (06-12-21)
Old 06-09-21, 07:52 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,021 Likes on 682 Posts

.... going straight-up here ... I would not install Monroe shocks on my lawn mower ... about as low-grade as they come from a design and manufacturing standpoint. Great that they meet the "comfort" requirement ... but given the labor cost, replacing at 30,000 miles when they quickly start getting sloppy in terms of control is no bargain ... while not being much better up to that point.

Last edited by ASE; 06-09-21 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-10-21, 05:25 AM
spdski
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, when I go to Bilstein’s site, it lists no shocks or struts as an option. Where do I find a proper fitment option?

it’s a premium, so nothing that would prevent the normal shocks from working, right?
Old 06-10-21, 07:42 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spdski
So, when I go to Bilstein’s site, it lists no shocks or struts as an option. Where do I find a proper fitment option?

it’s a premium, so nothing that would prevent the normal shocks from working, right?
Bilstein 5100's work no problem. Call https://www.toyteclifts.com/ and have a conversation. Very knowledgeable with hands-on experience ... they are not just a parts retailer who reference a fitment catalog.

The 5100's are physically longer than the Bilstein 4600's ... essentially the same shock but the 5100's have four (4) lower spring perch positions for varying levels of lift. While the 5100's can be installed with no lift (spring perch in lowest clip position) the stock GX spring is too short for this option ... meaning that the stock spring will not have any level of compression when the strut is assembled prior to installation on the vehicle. This means that if using the stock spring, the spring perch position must be raised ... resulting in 1-odd inches of lift. If you do not want a lift (maintaining stock ride height) then you will need longer springs of identical spring rate as stock if you want to maintain the same ride if using the 5100's. Again, call ToyTec to discuss and they will recommend based on what you are trying to accomplish. Call them and report back ...

Last edited by ASE; 06-10-21 at 07:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EANX (06-11-21)
Old 06-10-21, 02:05 PM
spdski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE
Bilstein 5100's work no problem. Call https://www.toyteclifts.com/ and have a conversation. Very knowledgeable with hands-on experience ... they are not just a parts retailer who reference a fitment catalog.

The 5100's are physically longer than the Bilstein 4600's ... essentially the same shock but the 5100's have four (4) lower spring perch positions for varying levels of lift. While the 5100's can be installed with no lift (spring perch in lowest clip position) the stock GX spring is too short for this option ... meaning that the stock spring will not have any level of compression when the strut is assembled prior to installation on the vehicle. This means that if using the stock spring, the spring perch position must be raised ... resulting in 1-odd inches of lift. If you do not want a lift (maintaining stock ride height) then you will need longer springs of identical spring rate as stock if you want to maintain the same ride if using the 5100's. Again, call ToyTec to discuss and they will recommend based on what you are trying to accomplish. Call them and report back ...
Thank you. I called and was directed to voicemail, as the question was beyond the person who answered the phone. Hopefully I get a call back soon.

I also had some conversations with my local 4 Wheel Parts. We're planning to do the 5100s and to use the first spring perch above zero (so, I guess the 2nd of 4 available). This should essentially lift the front an inch and level the vehicle, right?

Do you happen to know if the rear 5100s are an OK length? It turns out I don't need those (friggin' dealer trying to upsell), but I am considering doing them now to just get one alignment.

Also, out of curiosity, where in WA are you? I used to be in Snohomish for a long time.
Old 06-10-21, 02:55 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spdski
Thank you. I called and was directed to voicemail, as the question was beyond the person who answered the phone. Hopefully I get a call back soon.

I also had some conversations with my local 4 Wheel Parts. We're planning to do the 5100s and to use the first spring perch above zero (so, I guess the 2nd of 4 available). This should essentially lift the front an inch and level the vehicle, right?

Do you happen to know if the rear 5100s are an OK length? It turns out I don't need those (friggin' dealer trying to upsell), but I am considering doing them now to just get one alignment.

Also, out of curiosity, where in WA are you? I used to be in Snohomish for a long time.
Call Tech Support at ToyTec ... they claim that the 5100's can be installed using the lowest (no-lift) spring perch position with the stock front spring. They also explained that the 5100's do not currently show when the GX460 is selected because Bilstein's are back-ordered due to COVID ... about 4+ week lead-time. I asked WHY they would not list as compatible just because they are out-of-stock ... he said he did not understand either. He also said that King shocks are back-ordered thru March 2022 !#! ... so inventory issues are clearly not limited to just Bilstein. For my current 2019 GX460 I'm going with the Ultimate Coilovers ... are height adjustable so lift can be dialed-in, and side-to-side can be slightly different to deal with the dreaded drivers side lean. The adjustable collar can be transferred to new 5100's in the future.

Yes, the 5100's work in the rear for both spring and air-bag GX460 suspension.

I'm in the Fall City area.
Old 06-10-21, 03:07 PM
spdski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE
Call Tech Support at ToyTec ... they claim that the 5100's can be installed using the lowest (no-lift) spring perch position with the stock front spring. They also explained that the 5100's do not currently show when the GX460 is selected because Bilstein's are back-ordered due to COVID ... about 4+ week lead-time. I asked WHY they would not list as compatible just because they are out-of-stock ... he said he did not understand either. He also said that King shocks are back-ordered thru March 2022 !#! ... so inventory issues are clearly not limited to just Bilstein. For my current 2019 GX460 I'm going with the Ultimate Coilovers ... are height adjustable so lift can be dialed-in, and side-to-side can be slightly different to deal with the dreaded drivers side lean. The adjustable collar can be transferred to new 5100's in the future.

Yes, the 5100's work in the rear for both spring and air-bag GX460 suspension.

I'm in the Fall City area.
When I talked to the tech who put me through to the tech support voicemail, she said it was weird because their system showed the following kit as GX460 compatible, but not the individual components.

https://www.toyteclifts.com/fj4rbilk...j-cruiser.html

I'm still weighing doing the rears right now. 4WP has them in stock, is here for the install, and have a mil/LEO discount... so I'm going through them.
Old 06-14-21, 10:43 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
.... going straight-up here ... I would not install Monroe shocks on my lawn mower ... about as low-grade as they come from a design and manufacturing standpoint. Great that they meet the "comfort" requirement ... but given the labor cost, replacing at 30,000 miles when they quickly start getting sloppy in terms of control is no bargain ... while not being much better up to that point.
Not all of Monroe's line is the same, I actually purchased a set of struts for my Lexus LS430 and the struts were made in Japan and I'm actually pretty sure were OEM. Ride was smooth and factory. The parent brand Tenneco has all sorts of OEM contracts, it owns Moog, etc. You just have to usually get the premium line.

Old 06-14-21, 04:23 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
Not all of Monroe's line is the same, I actually purchased a set of struts for my Lexus LS430 and the struts were made in Japan and I'm actually pretty sure were OEM. Ride was smooth and factory. The parent brand Tenneco has all sorts of OEM contracts, it owns Moog, etc. You just have to usually get the premium line.
Not dissing anything here ... just commenting from experience. After a spending a significant engineering career in both design and manufacturing, I am absolutely convinced that the DNA of a company plays out across all product lines. So for me, I would rather purchase a bottom-end product from a top-line manufacturer than the opposite.
Old 06-15-21, 07:52 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
Not dissing anything here ... just commenting from experience. After a spending a significant engineering career in both design and manufacturing, I am absolutely convinced that the DNA of a company plays out across all product lines. So for me, I would rather purchase a bottom-end product from a top-line manufacturer than the opposite.
Wow, a real-life engineer? 🙄 They're never wrong!

Lexus is full of these OEM parts that are built at different price points for different markets.

BTW, Bilstein 5100's are a terrible recommendation for a stock set up, it says right on Bilstein's website they are for lifted applications. Not to mention it will be a bone jarring ride.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/faq/

Old 06-15-21, 08:28 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
BTW, Bilstein 5100's are a terrible recommendation for a stock set up, it says right on Bilstein's website they are for lifted applications. Not to mention it will be a bone jarring ride.
"Bone Jarring" ... so you have used these shocks and speak from experience ? ... apparently not, or you would know that the 5100's can be used in a no-lift setting.
Old 06-15-21, 08:45 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
"Bone Jarring" ... so you have used these shocks and speak from experience ? ... apparently not, or you would know that the 5100's can be used in a no-lift setting.
I'm sure the manufacturer is completely wrong about their own product. I guess Bilstein needs better engineers?

Old 06-16-21, 07:43 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

It is none of my business but replacing shocks and struts at 45k sounds like an overkill unless the truck was abused in some heavily off-road environment (unless you are doing it for fun). Maybe after passing 3x of this mileage I would look into it. But again, it is your vehicle and your money & time.
Old 06-16-21, 02:29 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Agree ... "Leaking" or "Weeping" ... replacement should be based on shock performance, but some prefer to be proactive and replace given either condition is an indication that performance degradation has started, or will ultimately follow ... leaking obviously sooner and faster than weeping.

Last edited by ASE; 06-16-21 at 02:35 PM.