GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rear Door Arm and rear suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17, 08:07 PM
Quicksilve
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Door Arm and rear suspension questions

Ok so I have had my GX for one week now and have had ample time to go over it with a fine tooth comb. I have found nothing except for two issues. I was hoping to ask the group about these as I am new to the GX.
1) I noticed that the rear door arm is pretty rusty and wonder if this is just a flaw with the arm or if it is something that needs addressing? I am including a picture of the rust on the arm. The arm functions perfectly right now so I am not really thinking of changing it out but was wondering if someone else had this issue and if so what they did about it.
2) I have a 2012 Premium model with the adaptive suspension. I noticed that every time I go over a speed bump if feels like the back of the car bottoms out on the suspension. Anyone else have this issue? What I mean is that I feel like there is a bit too much travel when going over a speed bump. Other times, bumpy roads, driveways etc...I do not feel this.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Door Arm and rear suspension questions-img_20170601_211056.jpg  
Old 06-03-17, 06:18 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine feels like there is not enough suspension travel, as it bottoms out real easy.
Old 06-03-17, 07:45 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

2015 Luxury - Doesn't feel like it bottoms out, maybe due to air suspension?
And no rust (yet?) on my rear door arm. .. I'd hit that with some rust remover and not worry about it.
Old 06-03-17, 08:44 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

No rust on my mine. If it still holds door fine I would just clean it up the best you can.

I wonder if some of the suspension bottom out feeling is from KDSS engaging/disengaging? I suppose this would only be plausible if you were hitting a speed bump at an angle where one wheel was still flat on the ground. Others here probably know all the specs on it ....I'd have to look around... I don't think it will disengage stabilizer bar above a certain speed.

I don't know much wheel articulation is needed before it starts to really work

Of course... this could just be a red herring I am taking this off to as well
Old 06-03-17, 12:13 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

I would just clean the rust in the arm out with a brush or something and maybe a spray of silicon lubricant or something. If it still works fine, then it should be good.

I also have a premium and don't experience bottom out when go over bumps. Are you on sport/normal or comfort when it happened? I noticed more of a jolt in the back when the bumps are bigger but not bottom out.
Old 06-03-17, 02:20 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

I have the rust on my door arm. I would bet that I open my rear more than anyone here as I work out of the back of my GX and probably open it 10-20+ times a day. I have not noticed any difference with performance since I bought the truck 3+ years ago.

Last edited by tecman; 06-04-17 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-03-17, 03:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tecman
I would bet that I open my rear more than anyone here as I work out of the back of my GX and probably open it 10-20+ times a day. I have not noticed any difference with performance since I bought the truck 3+ years ago.
That is certainly a testament to it's durability. I probably open the rear on mine a couple times a week and the flip up window 1/2 dozen times or less.
Old 06-05-17, 11:27 AM
Quicksilve
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies, I will clean it and spray some lube on it and call it a day, the door still opens and works just fine.
As for the suspension, I just had it do it again today, I think you may be the air suspension. I guess I am off to Sewell to see what they can find. I have it in Normal mode (NOT comfort nor sport).
Old 06-05-17, 11:26 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

No rust on mine either , what part of the country are u in ?
Old 06-06-17, 12:08 PM
Quicksilve
Driver School Candidate

I am in Dallas, previous owner lived in grapevine
Old 06-08-17, 08:53 AM
Quicksilve
Driver School Candidate

Just spoke with my service advisor at Sewell, they believe that the air bags are "worn" and need to be replaced. They are not leaking and do not have cracks or tears and the air bags are holding the appropriate PSI. The issue is that the previous owner likely had hauled heavy loads either by trailer or in the cab and the rubber has expanded thereby allowing too much travel for the car. The cost of replacing the airbags ONLY is $2300 at Sewell. I may shop around to see if there are other options or if it is a DIY project I can do over the weekend.
Old 06-08-17, 04:15 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Quicksilve
Just spoke with my service advisor at Sewell, they believe that the air bags are "worn" and need to be replaced. They are not leaking and do not have cracks or tears and the air bags are holding the appropriate PSI. The issue is that the previous owner likely had hauled heavy loads either by trailer or in the cab and the rubber has expanded thereby allowing too much travel for the car. The cost of replacing the airbags ONLY is $2300 at Sewell. I may shop around to see if there are other options or if it is a DIY project I can do over the weekend.
Interesting... my post seems to have disappeared... anyway.

3rd party bags as you can see are in comparison to that price dirt cheap.

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2...ng/76-10107_AN

I'd get a second opinion but it others feels the same way find an independent and save a lot of money.
Old 06-08-17, 05:08 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I got a Texas truck also with no rust whatsoever. If you need a dependable Indy Pm me and I'll send u his info. Works on all my cars/trucks.
Old 06-09-17, 03:51 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Won't Sewell help you on pricing since you've only had the vehicle for a few weeks?
Old 06-16-17, 09:42 AM
Quicksilve
Driver School Candidate

No I did not buy the car from Sewell, they pretty much told me tough *****. The video posted above is pretty good and since I have no leak it would not require an air line replacement , just an airbag replacement. I am going to leave it be for the time being. Thanks for all your advice.