GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Roof Top Tent

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-22, 07:56 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by gregGX
Thanks for the information on the crossbar weight limit, is that the limit for what it can carry when in motion, or is that the max that the crossbars/roof-rails can support? The tent I'm looking at weights 167lbs, so that would be under the stated weight limit, but add even one human while parked to sleep, and you're well over that stated limit. I assume its the rating for while the truck is in motion, but we all know what happens when one assumes. Any additional feedback would be great.

Best,
Greg
I would say the load rating is the static load on the bars. This post has pictures of the crossbars with the load limit right on them. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...tructions.html
Old 11-07-22, 09:27 AM
gregGX
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the link, this looks like its the flush mounted rails, which I just realized the blackline edition (which my GX is) has raised roof rails, are they the same thing? I know in a different post someone posed the model number (pzq30-60205) for the blackline crossbars, which can only be used with the blackline rails, but I'm not seeing any information about the load rating or 'best use' for those?

I called Thule, as I'm looking at one of their systems, and they said the GX460 does not support a rooftop tent, and they don't make rails what would change that... I'm assuming thats to cover their backside.
Old 11-08-22, 12:48 PM
gregGX
Driver

I took delivery of the car last night and poking around in the documentation for the roof rack crossbars, it states that they'll support 176 lbs, just like the non blackline version. Given that the tent I'm looking at is 169 lbs (I posted 167 earlier), should I be concerned or am I good to go? Does anyone know if the blackline roof rack rails can support the tent, a dog (31 lbs), and two humans (~300 lbs for the humans - total) - total weight ~500 lbs?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 11-08-22, 01:01 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Your total weight ~500 lbs definitely exceeds the load specified by Lexus for the OEM crossbars.
They may hold, they may not but if they fail it will result in a dented roof. I would not risk it.
Old 11-08-22, 01:30 PM
gregGX
Driver

Do you know what the weight capacity is on the OEM crossbars? I know it supports 176 lbs, which is the hauling weight (in motion), which this is under by 7 lbs, but I don't see anywhere what the maximum static weight limit is? If I need to get upgraded crossbars that's fine, I'm also wondering what the max weight the roof rails can handle?
Old 11-08-22, 02:32 PM
IanG
Intermediate

In no specifications does it differentiate between static and dynamic load for the crossbars.
Considering there is no way for anyone except an engineer to determine the dynamic load on the crossbars I am fairly confident in saying that the 176 lb load limit is the static load the OEM crossbars will hold. I would be looking into a platform that is designed to hold the weight of a RTT.
The following users liked this post:
gregGX (11-08-22)
Old 11-08-22, 04:54 PM
jphowey
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I replaced the factory rails with the inexpensive Ebay version of those raised rails and oriented the tent rails crosswise, and it's been very solid. I have been very impressed with quality, for the price, of those Ebay raised rails over the last 1.5 years. They do give the truck a more "Prado" look without tent on there, which you may or may not want. I believe the rails come in black, or that factory metallic gold.

Old 11-08-22, 05:21 PM
gregGX
Driver

jphowey - those rails look very similar to the blackline rails, compared to the rails on my wife's UX, which are the flush mounted rails which the other trim levels of the GX come with:

The GX blackline rails and crossbars

The UX F-Sport flush mounted rails

From your photos, maybe I just skip the crossbars and install directly on the rails? Do you know what weight limit your rails are claimed at?
jphowey (11-13-22)
Old 11-09-22, 03:37 PM
gregGX
Driver

Sorry to bump this, but does anyone have any information around the amount of weight the factory roof rails (not roof crossbars) can hold/support? Preferably the raised rails, not the flush mounted versions.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 11-11-22, 06:40 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

people who put RTTs on factory roof anything scare the bejesus out of me. please do not do that, for your safety and everyone elses.
if you're going to spend thousands of dollars on a tent, spend the money to secure it.
gregGX (11-12-22)
Old 11-13-22, 07:21 PM
jphowey
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gregGX
jphowey - those rails look very similar to the blackline rails, compared to the rails on my wife's UX, which are the flush mounted rails which the other trim levels of the GX come with:

The GX blackline rails and crossbars

The UX F-Sport flush mounted rails

From your photos, maybe I just skip the crossbars and install directly on the rails? Do you know what weight limit your rails are claimed at?
I chose to skip cross bars, for lower profile/drag, fewer connections, etc. I did have to reorient the rails that come with tent 90° to be perpendicular to roof rails. I looked but don't see a weight rating on the ebay listing. However, I have had over 400 lbs of people in tent, and it held up fine. Once I saw how solid the feet for the rails are and the rails themselves, and how it all mounts to roof in 3 spots an each side, I really had no concerns with weight, and that's proven to be the case in actual use.
Old 11-14-22, 07:32 AM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

The Blackline raised rails and the aftermarket raised rails for the 460 are the same system as the 470. Using added crossbars such as Yakima bars. You will have no issue. The tent will be mounted to the added crossbar that will be mounted at the mounting points on the vehicles rails. I had my 470 in some very heavy Utah storms with my RTT mounted on Yakima bars to the factory rails. But I would not buy the cheap crossbars that just clamp on. Get the ones that strap all the way around the bar.
Old 11-14-22, 08:08 AM
gregGX
Driver

Originally Posted by mntntrls71
The Blackline raised rails and the aftermarket raised rails for the 460 are the same system as the 470. Using added crossbars such as Yakima bars. You will have no issue. The tent will be mounted to the added crossbar that will be mounted at the mounting points on the vehicles rails. I had my 470 in some very heavy Utah storms with my RTT mounted on Yakima bars to the factory rails. But I would not buy the cheap crossbars that just clamp on. Get the ones that strap all the way around the bar.
Thanks for the information, are you saying I'd just need to add one additional crossbar? Or do I need to get three of the Yakima crossbars? I would really like to use the cross bars I paid extra for, but if they're just not up to the task, I can fix that. The Roofnest tents show they work with just two factory crossbars, but they of course don't list any specific vehicles - they go on sale starting tomorrow (at least what their team told me).
Old 11-14-22, 07:11 PM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

2 Yakima or Thule crossbars and towers to the factory side rails. The factory crossbars are not strong enough.
Old 11-15-22, 05:38 AM
gregGX
Driver

Originally Posted by mntntrls71
2 Yakima or Thule crossbars and towers to the factory side rails. The factory crossbars are not strong enough.
Curious why the Lexus crossbars are not sufficient, they have a 176lb static rating, and look nearly identical to the Yakima aero bars. That said, which cross bars from Yakima do you recommend?

Quick Reply: Roof Top Tent