GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Barn Door Latch Malfunction - Stuck open or closed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 09:40 AM
doeboy6587
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear door/hatch will not open (locked shut)

Throwing up a hail Mary before I head to the dealership for some help because I need to resolve this issue soon.

I own a 2014 GX 460 Premium and went to open my rear barn door, hatch, tailgate, (whatever its technical Lexus term is) and it will not open.

When I hit unlock, I can hear the upper glass door mechanism unlock but I am not hearing a specific "clunk" for the door lock. Does anyone have experience with the door being locked closed or the lock malfunctioning? It doesn't seem possible to remove the inner door panel because the door is locked closed and there is no interior release/opener. I can't even figure out how to open the door to begin diagnosing or repairing the lock if its really the issue.

Anyone seen this or have suggestions?!

Other info:
I'm having a trouble finding a schematic or diagram of the interior of this door but from what I've found on the GX 470 it doesn't seem like there is anything behind the license plate mounting area.... the reason I bring this up is that the only thing I did relatively recently was remove and re-add license plates with new bolts since mine were rusting. The new ones were maybe 1.5" long, but they didn't seem to hit anything or bottom out - the door seems to be an empty cavity in the middle under the license plate so I assumed I was not getting any lock cables or actuators that were behind the license plate mounting bracket. The timing just seems suspect but I doubt this caused the door lock problem.
Old 02-11-19, 09:45 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l-removal.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10331408

Last edited by Acrad; 02-11-19 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
doeboy6587 (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 09:47 AM
doeboy6587
Driver School Candidate

Awesome thanks! Now how do I get the door open?
Old 02-11-19, 09:52 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

You will have to try to take off the interior trim from the inside or you may have to cut a hole through the plastics in the rear door.

IIRC the area where the star is would allow you to actuate the mechanisms if you can pass your hand through this area. Be sure to look at all the links and pics throughout the thread. Unfortunately there isn't some easy release mechanism on inside.

doeboy6587 (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 12:11 PM
doeboy6587
Driver School Candidate

SOLVED. Thank you @Acrad35751 !

Went home at lunch with this info determined to get the door opened since I have some large packages that need to be mailed out today. Took About 35 minutes from start to finish and half that was taking pictures, gathering tools and putting them back away.

Included pictures for those who need to complete this procedure in the future and have the door locked shut.

Tools required: Vibrating saw
Tools suggested: Tape, Marker, Straightedge, Extension cord, Vacuum, Utility knife, drill, drill bit, picture hanger wire

Remove Panel.

Door with stuff. Remove Stuff.

Not necessary: I taped off a square so I could get a decent cut line and if the saw bumped i wouldn't scratch other parts of the panel.

Cut the access in the panel with the vibrating saw.
Cut the plastic membrane on left, bottom, right with utility knife to access the lock assembly. If water ever does get in the door then most of it will will run off downward past the lock assembly instead of into it.

Membrane cut, flap slightly pulled out.

this is the door release - If I had a better idea of where the release was, I would have cut the access much smaller and higher under the lip with maybe a 1" hole saw... if you were wondering its about 1" down from the lip and 3" left of the strap

I decided to make a quick release in case I have further issues. Maybe one day I will get around to greasing the assembly or replacing it all together if I have future occurrences. This is picture hanger wire.

Drilled small hole in the release assembly and fed the wire through.

Made a loop on the other end.

Just pull that loop to the left lightly and the door will pop if this ever happens again. Buttoned back up with electrical tape. I'm thinking of replacing with some spring clips or Velcro in the near future for a more permanent solution. Any suggestions?

Swapped the first aid kit from left to right to somewhat hide the hole.
The following 3 users liked this post by doeboy6587:
Acrad (02-11-19), paui4m (02-11-19), tecman (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 01:38 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Glad you found a way in there. Thanks for taking pics and doing a write up. You aren't the first to experience this and most likely not the last. I took mine apart a couple weeks back and thoroughly lubricated everything.
doeboy6587 (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 03:24 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Great write up and pics. Good idea to have the release there for future issues. Mine would get stuck at the worst times- usually when my sons hockey equipment was back there. I found mine had issues whenever I worked near construction sites and the dirt would blow at the rear of the truck.
Old 02-11-19, 04:51 PM
doeboy6587
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Great write up and pics. Good idea to have the release there for future issues. Mine would get stuck at the worst times- usually when my sons hockey equipment was back there. I found mine had issues whenever I worked near construction sites and the dirt would blow at the rear of the truck.
Did you grease yours or replace it? I’d like to see pictures where people are lubricating theirs.
Old 02-11-19, 04:55 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I simply took some Liquid Wrench Silicon spray and got the mechanism you did and followed cable back to latch area and gave it a good drenching. I then actuated the handle some so some of the lubricant would be pulled into the shrouded cable between the handle and the latch. At least one scenario...I think this cable ends up getting sticky and then doesn't freely move back and forth on either end.
Old 02-11-19, 08:11 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

If issues reoccur and you think it might be the control cable sticking back there between the handle and latch ....the part is inexpensive.

PN: 6468060010

Old 03-24-19, 11:12 PM
mwittmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair Manual

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
If cleaning & lubrication doesn't address the PNs appear to be as follows

https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...ide-6919060012

https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...bly-6911060233

These are standard Prado parts so you can find cheaper overseas

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...2?q=6919060012
https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...3?q=6911060233

Might even be cheaper here...or shipping cheaper

http://www.parts-sale.jp/
Thanks for sharing.
My rear cargo door hatch wouldn’t shut, but a hard push forced it shut and now it wont open.
Do you know were i can purchase an OEM repair manual for my 2012 GX460?
Old 03-06-20, 10:53 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

My handle started sticking today too. I thought it was the actuator or cable but turned out to just be a grimy handle mechanism. I could feel the drag in it while extracted from vehicle. As suggested in other threads I was able to retract the handle with some tools on the outside so I could get door open. I took door apart and this time throughly testing cable and actuator... no issue there. I then took the latch mechanism out. It is only held in by two 10mm nuts. I then doused with liquid wrench and then lightly greased the pivot points.

If you notice your latch seems to stick at all there is some preventative maintenance you can do or it might stick on you or significant other at the most inopportune time.

Remember those trims pieces around flip up window are removed inward/parallel to the window and the top middle piece comes off first.

Last edited by Acrad; 03-06-20 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-08-20, 01:04 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

This is for a 470 but may give you some ideas.

EDIT: looks like one would have to login to FB to see

It is from a member on GXOR.
Old 10-09-20, 01:38 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

Not totally on topic to this thread but didn't want to start a new one.... Any reason this wouldn't work for the GX for overnight camping or for keeping dogs in the back, even while driving? (would give them some fresh air... (although I worry about the exhaust coming in the rear, the 4Runner has this issue with the window down if the exhaust isn't rerouted to the side.

https://radrubberdesign.com/product/...ss-stabilizer/

Old 10-09-20, 04:13 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Not totally on topic to this thread but didn't want to start a new one.... Any reason this wouldn't work for the GX for overnight camping or for keeping dogs in the back, even while driving? (would give them some fresh air... (although I worry about the exhaust coming in the rear, the 4Runner has this issue with the window down if the exhaust isn't rerouted to the side.

https://radrubberdesign.com/product/...ss-stabilizer/
GX tail window can be opened separately. It’s not roll down as 4Runner, just flip up. There is a lock release switch at left lower corner of the window.

Quick Reply: Barn Door Latch Malfunction - Stuck open or closed