GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Barn Door Latch Malfunction - Stuck open or closed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 09:18 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

This problem happened to me frequently because all winter my son would have his hockey bag get stuck in the back, so much that I cut out a section in the storage compartment giving me access directly to lubricate.
Old 01-18-22, 02:03 PM
NLinholm
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Barn/back Door Stuck Closed

Hello.

The back/barn door on my 2011 GX will not open. I assume it is an actuator and found a replacement part. I have researched the forum, and don't anticipate an issue removing the panel, but I cannot open the barn door. I followed doeboy6587's instructions below, found the door release, pulled it to the left, but nothing. Now I am stuck with a back door that won't open, and no ideas.

Has anyone ever had a similar issue? Is there another option other than the door release? Can you remove the back panel allowing access to the actuator from the inside?

Is there a way to remove the barn/bask door completely?

I am stumped and would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks

Originally Posted by doeboy6587
SOLVED. Thank you @Acrad !

Went home at lunch with this info determined to get the door opened since I have some large packages that need to be mailed out today. Took About 35 minutes from start to finish and half that was taking pictures, gathering tools and putting them back away.

Included pictures for those who need to complete this procedure in the future and have the door locked shut.

Tools required: Vibrating saw
Tools suggested: Tape, Marker, Straightedge, Extension cord, Vacuum, Utility knife, drill, drill bit, picture hanger wire

Remove Panel.

Door with stuff. Remove Stuff.

Not necessary: I taped off a square so I could get a decent cut line and if the saw bumped i wouldn't scratch other parts of the panel.

Cut the access in the panel with the vibrating saw.
Cut the plastic membrane on left, bottom, right with utility knife to access the lock assembly. If water ever does get in the door then most of it will will run off downward past the lock assembly instead of into it.

Membrane cut, flap slightly pulled out.

this is the door release - If I had a better idea of where the release was, I would have cut the access much smaller and higher under the lip with maybe a 1" hole saw... if you were wondering its about 1" down from the lip and 3" left of the strap

I decided to make a quick release in case I have further issues. Maybe one day I will get around to greasing the assembly or replacing it all together if I have future occurrences. This is picture hanger wire.

Drilled small hole in the release assembly and fed the wire through.

Made a loop on the other end.

Just pull that loop to the left lightly and the door will pop if this ever happens again. Buttoned back up with electrical tape. I'm thinking of replacing with some spring clips or Velcro in the near future for a more permanent solution. Any suggestions?

Swapped the first aid kit from left to right to somewhat hide the hole.
Old 01-20-22, 08:39 AM
NLinholm
9th Gear

Default Barn/Back Door Will Not Open

Hello.

The back/barn door on my 2011 GX will not open. I assume it is an actuator and found a replacement part. I have researched the forum, and don't anticipate an issue removing the panel, but I cannot open the barn door. I followed doeboy6587's instructions found here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-closed-3.html and here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-closed-6.html found the door release, pulled it to the left, but nothing. Now I am stuck with a back door that won't open, and no ideas.

Has anyone ever had a similar issue? Is there another option other than the door release? Can you remove the back panel allowing access to the actuator from the inside?

Is there a way to remove the barn/back door completely?

I am stumped and would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks
Old 01-20-22, 01:19 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Notice what clearmysix had to do to release that latch on post #30

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10561876

Last edited by Acrad; 02-06-22 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-20-22, 03:11 PM
NLinholm
9th Gear

Thank you Acrad!
I am a little embarrassed, as I have looked throughout this thread numerous times and somehow missed clearmysix's post.
Again, thank you, and thanks to clearmysix for posting his solution.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (01-20-22)
Old 01-23-24, 08:59 PM
tmdappraisal
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd6571
Solved my own problem, and I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else encounters this. It was simply a case of the door handle not retracting all the way when the door was latched. So if I pushed it in a little bit so that it seemed fully latched, then it would open the door. I'll put some silicone on it so it doesn't happen again anytime soon, but maybe as these vehicles get older someone else will have the same problem.
I had the same issue and the solution for me was to use a small pry tool on the barn door handle to get it retract all the way. I then sprayed WD-40 into the gaps around the handle and it now works fine
Old 06-23-24, 08:44 PM
willkr3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BTXpress
Got it open... locks work fine. I stuck my hand in opposite with my Palm facing the car and was able to push the handle release "open". I will have to pull parts diagram up, but it does seem that a return spring is broken or there is grime in it to prevent it from working properly.

so I just went out and tried what you mentioned, but it doesn’t seem like my handle will budge if I try to move it in the opposite direction. I have a little play when I pull the handle in a click, but nothing. When you tried your handle, did it move at all?
Old 06-26-24, 08:21 AM
DrumsNstuff
3rd Gear

Hey @willkr3 , Just following up. Were you able to get the latch to open? I’m assuming so.

When I had this issue, I did the following:

1) Confirm wing door lock is being released by the electric system. I locked all doors from driver side door switch. I then double unlocked all doors with key fob while standing at wing door to hear the lock release. * I believe the release can get stuck and needed multiple attempts to occur.

2) When I first started trying to squeeze the door release to open the door, I was timid to apply hard pressure as I was concerned about breaking something. However, once confirming the above release sound from step one, I applied significant pressure and the door released.

3) at this point, I inspected all contact points, and latch mechanism for sediment, dirt, other soot. I thoroughly cleaned everything then lubricated all contact points and the mechanism.

Since doing this, I have had zero issues. Currently 6-7 months. I will continue to monitor as part of my routine maintenance since this has been a common issue.

I hope this helps someone…. Obviously, I may have been lucky, but its a good starting point for all.