GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Acceleration Delay

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 09:50 AM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Acceleration Delay

Have started noticing something that occurs when accelerating every once in a while. All of a sudden it's like the truck doesn't sense that I am pushing the accelerator and it just coasts for 5-10 seconds. Typically doesn't do it until I'm approaching 45-60 mph. To get it to "snap out of it" I have to put the pedal to floor. If I leave the accelerator where it is, 5-10 seconds later it goes back to normal acceleration. If I push the accelerator harder just slightly (not all the way to the floor) the truck still doesn't respond for 5-10 seconds but then when it "snaps out of it" it gasses it! This seems to happen on slight inclines more often than flat roads but is definitely not exclusive to inclines.

Anybody know what could be going on? My local Lexus tech. didn't seem to think anything was wrong with it but something has changed because it never used to do this.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-17, 05:35 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

I have recently experienced this as well. My GX lost acceleration and I thought something was wrong. I pushed the gas pedal and was relieved. I do run Premium gas and try to stay away from questionable gas stations. Maybe there is a bad batch of gas out there that we are both experiencing in the southeast area? I have only noticed this twice in the last month or so. I have been driving my GX long enough to know when something is unusual and this did concern me.

So, you are not alone with this experience. 105k miles on my GX and only use premium.
Old 08-23-17, 07:42 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Ours is almost new, and the throttle response is horrible. I think there is a fix for it. seen it on here. It's just too much technology trying to outthink the operator. Common complaint.
Old 08-23-17, 07:50 PM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

id see if your truck does it after shifting into sport mode (not tiptronic)

I know this eco crap really deadens the throttle response in mine. That'd be my guess, especially if sport gives you better response under similar circumstances
Old 08-23-17, 07:57 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Black16

I know this eco crap really deadens the throttle response in mine.
I think this is it! I've experienced it a couple of times too and usually around 45-55mph on freeway ramp where you took off the gas or eased up to maintain 45-55mph and the truck will shift into 6th gear. When that happened and you need to accelerate, 6th gear isn't going to get you anywhere until the gas petal was pressed long enough to have it downshift. Sometimes when merging, I flipped to Sport mode.
Old 08-25-17, 08:36 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is the same way, its annoying, but they do it for fuel economy. .It's way too quick to shift into 6th gear, 5th gear is way too tall and worthless. 4th is really the only gear that helps when dealing with highway merging and/or passing. I've just learned to throw it into manual mode at those times.
Old 08-25-17, 02:24 PM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Being the fact that it hasn't done this in the past I cant make myself believe it's just the way it is and is a result of the car trying to be more fuel efficient. My wife gets 14.8 mpg for goodness sake!

One other thought...my tech said these newer cars start to learn the drivers habits after awhile. My wife primarily drives and we've had it for about 10 months. Maybe our difference in driving styles could cause it?

​​​​​​FWIW we have a 2011 with 85k miles.
Old 08-26-17, 04:08 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dstewart
Being the fact that it hasn't done this in the past I cant make myself believe it's just the way it is and is a result of the car trying to be more fuel efficient. My wife gets 14.8 mpg for goodness sake!

One other thought...my tech said these newer cars start to learn the drivers habits after awhile. My wife primarily drives and we've had it for about 10 months. Maybe our difference in driving styles could cause it?

​​​​​​FWIW we have a 2011 with 85k miles.
Hmm, I thought I read here that this is not on the GX. Not sure what to make of "AI-SHIFT"
It is on the RX and LX.

LX example here and shows we are not alone with shifting complaints (link is page 3).
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...f-power-3.html

Old 08-27-17, 09:40 AM
raynyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.jmschip.com/pedalmax-toyota-v1-2003-2017

i have seen this thing advertised for toyotas
Old 08-27-17, 09:42 AM
raynyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.jmschip.com/pedalmax-toyo...exus-vehicles/
found one that says its for lexus too
Old 09-06-18, 08:13 PM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this is an old topic, but I think I have the same issue with acceleration.

My wife mentioned a couple of times that our new GX (500 miles) is slow to accelerate. This is her car, so I only drove it a few miles since purchase. I took it for a spin on the freeway and noticed while merging from onramp (about 40mph) pushing the accelerator, the car is not responding and almost like coasting. I almost had to floor it, which I was hesitant since we only put 500 miles on the truck. When almost flooring, the car does move. It feels like the truck doesn't want to downshift.

Around town, from a stoplight, acceleration seems fine. Only noticed it merging on the freeway.

Anybody had luck in resolving this?
Old 09-07-18, 03:09 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

^^^ Did you see this...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...orsepower.html
The following users liked this post:
rusn007 (09-08-18)
Old 09-07-18, 03:53 PM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

^^^ Pedal commander. fully customizable. and it works
rusn007 (09-08-18)
Old 09-08-18, 08:46 AM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rusn007
I know this is an old topic, but I think I have the same issue with acceleration.

My wife mentioned a couple of times that our new GX (500 miles) is slow to accelerate. This is her car, so I only drove it a few miles since purchase. I took it for a spin on the freeway and noticed while merging from onramp (about 40mph) pushing the accelerator, the car is not responding and almost like coasting. I almost had to floor it, which I was hesitant since we only put 500 miles on the truck. When almost flooring, the car does move. It feels like the truck doesn't want to downshift.

Around town, from a stoplight, acceleration seems fine. Only noticed it merging on the freeway.

Anybody had luck in resolving this?
Haven’t noticed my wife’s car doing this much in the past few months but last week it was doing it worse than ever before and almost felt like the transmission was slipping. I called my buddy who says he knows these cars well. He thinks it could be one of two things...1) need to change out transmission fluid or 2) check with Lexus to see if there could be a new programming on the transmission. Apparently his wife’s GX in the past had a similar issue and #2 fixed it.

I haven’t tried either one yet, just been too busy. Any thoughts from the experts here on options 1 or 2? I am pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

Cheers!
rusn007 (09-08-18)
Old 09-08-18, 11:15 AM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Thanks - but I think that would be my last option. Feels like I shouldn't have to add throttle adjustments on a new brand new car.

Quick Reply: Acceleration Delay