GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Boat, Travel or Other Trailer Towing Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 09:07 AM
km4man
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are shopping for a travel trailer and after weeks and weeks of researching towing capacity for our 2013 Lexus GX460 Premium, I am still unsure what I can tow SAFELY. We live in the Colorado front range, which means we would likely be doing significant mountain driving to get anywhere.

Stats on our car, 2013 GX 460 Premium:
- GVWR: 6600LB
- Front GAWR: 3200LB
- Rear GAWR: 3965LB
Trailer braking system has been installed
Purchased Fastway e2, two-point sway control hitch with weight distribution, 6000LB rating

Stats on trailer we like:
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/21bhe
- UVW: 4500LB
- GVWR: 5900LB
Hitch weight: 460LB
Overall length: 24'11"
Dual axle trailer

The manager of the dealership said the weights would be fine, but I am skeptical.

I understand the 80% rule, which translates to 5200LBS. Does the 80% rule apply to UVW or GVWR?

I would appreciate any feedback from owners who have actually towed larger trailers with their GX460s, pros, cons, warnings, etc.

Thanks.
Old 05-29-19, 09:36 AM
Trijicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by km4man
We are shopping for a travel trailer and after weeks and weeks of researching towing capacity for our 2013 Lexus GX460 Premium, I am still unsure what I can tow SAFELY. We live in the Colorado front range, which means we would likely be doing significant mountain driving to get anywhere.

Stats on our car, 2013 GX 460 Premium:
- GVWR: 6600LB
- Front GAWR: 3200LB
- Rear GAWR: 3965LB
Trailer braking system has been installed
Purchased Fastway e2, two-point sway control hitch with weight distribution, 6000LB rating

Stats on trailer we like:
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/21bhe
- UVW: 4500LB
- GVWR: 5900LB
Hitch weight: 460LB
Overall length: 24'11"
Dual axle trailer

The manager of the dealership said the weights would be fine, but I am skeptical.

I understand the 80% rule, which translates to 5200LBS. Does the 80% rule apply to UVW or GVWR?

I would appreciate any feedback from owners who have actually towed larger trailers with their GX460s, pros, cons, warnings, etc.

Thanks.
It applies to the total weight (trailer plus gear). So load no more than 700 ish lbs (4500+700=5200). You should be okay with that trailer, you are right on the border. On flats and small hills you’ll be more than fine. On long steep grades (+7 degrees) I’d be very careful. Go slow, watch your temps, and pack lighter.
The following users liked this post:
km4man (05-29-19)
Old 06-15-19, 08:24 AM
tbrasuell
6th Gear

Default Towing a car transport trailer Tail of the Dragon

Hello I am headed to Fontana Dam NC from Chicago. I have a 2015 Luxury with Factory Tow package and hitch. We are renting a 2 axle trailer from U haul with hydraulic brakes, Trailering a fairly light MazdaSpeed Protege. Anybody have experience trailering on the Tail?
Old 06-15-19, 07:40 PM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

No experience trailering, but I have driven it in the rain in a Jeep on worn 35" Super Swampers...that was rather exciting.
tbrasuell (06-17-19)
Old 06-16-19, 08:36 AM
4literrang
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

uhaul trailer is around 2200 lbs, I'm guessing the mazda is around 3000 lbs. You'll be at 5200 lbs assuming there is nothing packed in the car for the trip, with the GX tow rating at 6500 lbs you are at 80% max which is something to consider. I'm not familiar with that car, but if it can be transported with the tow dolly that would be MUCH easier on your GX
Old 06-16-19, 11:14 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

I would use 4th gear almost exclusively as this gives you best opportunity to be in a locked up TC scenario. It will drop AT temps significantly.

May want to pick something up to monitor AT temps

Example:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...s-via-obd.html
tbrasuell (06-17-19)
Old 06-18-19, 06:19 AM
Jmildoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

you have air ride? sounds heavy i guess it depends on the tongue weight.
Old 06-18-19, 06:51 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

So I've driven the dragon a bunch and have towed car haulers a bunch (not with a GX) - but not both.

I think mechanically you'll be OK, assume you have a built-in brake controller in the GX? The pace is typically slow and the elevation changes aren't so severe.

The issue is going to be the tight turns. If you aren't used to towing - even if you are - many of the tight turns on the dragon are potentially going to be difficult to navigate without putting wheels off the edge or way over the yellow line (which is dangerous w/ blind turns and all the motorcycles). Will need to be super diligent and it'll be a bit of a white knuckle adventure.

Most of these are tractor trailers, but you get the idea
https://tailofthedragon.com/trucks-on-the-dragon/
Old 06-18-19, 06:56 AM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
So I've driven the dragon a bunch and have towed car haulers a bunch (not with a GX) - but not both.

I think mechanically you'll be OK, assume you have a built-in brake controller in the GX? The pace is typically slow and the elevation changes aren't so severe.

The issue is going to be the tight turns. If you aren't used to towing - even if you are - many of the tight turns on the dragon are potentially going to be difficult to navigate without putting wheels off the edge or way over the yellow line (which is dangerous w/ blind turns and all the motorcycles). Will need to be super diligent and it'll be a bit of a white knuckle adventure.

Most of these are tractor trailers, but you get the idea
https://tailofthedragon.com/trucks-on-the-dragon/
I don't even need to open the link to bet most of those trucks are SWIFT trucks.
Old 08-06-19, 01:47 PM
km4man
Driver School Candidate

We ended up purchasing a T@b 400, GVWR 3,900, ~485# tongue weight, single axle, boondocks package. Just taken her on a maiden voyage--5 states, 3,080 miles. Tons of climbing and descending (we're in the CO Rockies). I was not terribly impressed with the towing because:

- Bounce. There seemed to be quite a bit of "bounce" and "tugging" back there. It was unnerving, and no, I wasn't flying. Generally drove 60-65mph. Dealership and I both agreed it was very level.
- Could the air suspension be causing the problem? Seems the air suspension is great for a passenger vehicle, but not so great for towing. Am I correct in thinking this?
- Would converting the air suspension to struts and springs in the rear help? If so, where do I find a kit? I see mfgs making kits for the LX 470, but not the GX 460.

I'm new to towing, but I know it should not feel this jerky and bouncy back there, especially because it's not a super heavy trailer, and plenty of you out there tow much bigger trailers than I have. HELP!?
Thank you ��
Old 08-06-19, 02:14 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

km4man: What AVS mode were you towing in? I tow in Sport. I also have Timbrens in the back that replaced my factory bump stops.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...on-videos.html

If you go with non AVS/RAHC you might need to either add manual bags or stiff enough springs to prevent rear sag. The latter could sacrifice unloaded ride quality. I have been really happy with the Timbrens loaded/unloaded.

Last edited by Acrad; 08-06-19 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-07-19, 08:25 PM
km4man
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Acrad35751. I just had a look at the Timbrens on etrailer. Did you install them in the back only or just the front, or bothl? Also, despite the dealership telling me 4 weeks ago when we bought it that our existing ball hitch receiver (1" rise/2" drop) looked good using the 1" rise, I went out today and took a level hitch height and level coupler height (with the AVS in neutral and turned off) measurement today to rule stuff out. Turns our there is a 4" difference. What this meant functionally, I think, is that the suspension was having to lift to compensate nearly 3" while under towing load. This cannot be good for the car. It also my explain why the front end felt so light. Maybe??? Again, just thinking this thru logically.

I think it also meant that the tongue was overloaded due to basic physics because it was tipped too far down at the tongue.. Am I correct?
Old 08-09-19, 07:53 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by km4man
Thanks Acrad35751. I just had a look at the Timbrens on etrailer. Did you install them in the back only or just the front, or bothl? Also, despite the dealership telling me 4 weeks ago when we bought it that our existing ball hitch receiver (1" rise/2" drop) looked good using the 1" rise, I went out today and took a level hitch height and level coupler height (with the AVS in neutral and turned off) measurement today to rule stuff out. Turns our there is a 4" difference. What this meant functionally, I think, is that the suspension was having to lift to compensate nearly 3" while under towing load. This cannot be good for the car. It also my explain why the front end felt so light. Maybe??? Again, just thinking this thru logically.

I think it also meant that the tongue was overloaded due to basic physics because it was tipped too far down at the tongue.. Am I correct?
I installed them on front and back but front might not be needed for your application. I think the overloaded tongue is probably key. I had that happen to me a couple years back once when I was transporting a one ton energy log pallet and it was placed too far forward on the trailer. My fault for not keeping a closer eye where it was placed in the trailer.
Old 08-11-19, 08:32 AM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I had timbrens on my Silverado , towed a Airstream19 like in the picture. It was a good set up. Just make sure they are installed propetly
Acrad (08-11-19)
Old 09-10-19, 08:17 PM
v13tnat
Driver School Candidate

I know the op is an old thread, but very helpful info. Hello yall, I really like Winnebago micro minnie 2306BHS, just wanting to know whats everyone thinks if its doable? I really love my 2017 GX premium and do not want to trade her in for another tow vehicle. I love my GX but her 6500lb tow, 1300lb payload, and 650 hitch weight capacity is limiting our family search for a TT. I understand the 80% rule and with the trailers dry weight of 4,260, that only leaves me with 940lb of loading up before i reach my 80% tow weight which is 5200lb of the 6500lb max. I love everything about this trailer but I just wished it was a couple hundred pounds lighter. The micro's have other lighter models with a similar layout I like but I prefer the murphy bed and bathroom sink which the other smaller models don't have. Whats everyones opinon?

Spec on the trailer is:
Model, 2306BHS
Exterior Length25'5"
GVWR (lbs.)7,000
Dry Weight (lbs.)4,260
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.)495

Quick Reply: Boat, Travel or Other Trailer Towing Experiences