GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Boat, Travel or Other Trailer Towing Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 10:32 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 984 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Please let us know the outcome. as learning from each other is what keeps this forum going. I towed a boat for many years, 200 days a year.I found that as long as you're under the mfg recommended capacity, you're OK. Mountains would affect this, but I believe the trip you're planning, while hilly in areas, won't pose a problem. The trailer will have brakes and that means your vehicle must have a brake actuator installed. It will be part of your plug assembly for the trailer lights. Uhaul is fair priced and capable for this install. I believe the GX has transmission cooler (tow package) but even if it doesn't, You'll be fine except possibly an August 98 degree heat wave. Keep the amount of cargo in the vehicle to a minimum to avoid going over weight capacity and once you get started, you'll feel when the car is straining when going too fast. On flat roads you're probably OK at 70 mph, but just be prepared to travel at 60 if it feels better. Good tires/pressure, on vehicle are important, jack, lug wrench, wheel lock key should be present. Check the condition of Uhaul tires as well. A flat tire with no spare for trailer is a logistics nightmare. Bottom line, it should be easy to do with your vehicle. Just take your time. Towing is half the equation, the ability to stop safely is the other half. Contact your insurance company to be sure you're fully covered. Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-20, 11:17 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

I'd highly recommend you monitor your AT temps.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...and-gx460.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...s-via-obd.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-install.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-install.html
Old 06-03-20, 11:32 AM
marcusab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I’m leaning against towing - as you say the risk for damage and the increased fuel + wear and tear make the cost difference less.
Old 06-03-20, 12:44 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

It'll cost about $400 more to have your mint BMW towed in an enclosed trailer according to your quotes (this includes money saved by not installing a brake controller on your Lexus). If money's not too tight it practically guarantees no damage to BMW.
Old 06-03-20, 12:56 PM
marcusab
Driver School Candidate

Yeah this makes sense. Money's not too tight - I just thought I could save a little and learn how to tow. Based on the comments above though, it may not be worth it as a first towing experience.
Old 06-03-20, 01:15 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I towed my Lexus LS430 UL when I moved from GA to NJ about 5 years ago but I used a Budget 14' box truck. It was actually pretty easy experience just have to be careful reversing and understand how to correct angles. As others mentioned having it done for you sounds ideal.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-03-20 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-03-20, 01:57 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I remember discussing that NJ move with you. I don't recall you having any road debris damage to your LS on that trip. Driving straight ahead towing is easy. It's learning to turn wide when stopping for fuel and backing up that takes time to learn.
Old 06-03-20, 05:15 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

The U-Haul vehicle transport does not have a front fairing ... so debris kicked up from the tow vehicle (sand, tiny rocks, small rocks, medium sized rocks) will spray ... at high velocity ... the front-end of the vehicle being towed. A classic BMW is a very different consideration given it does not have a "Tupperware" bumper representing the majority of the front-end exposure. "Tupperware" bumpers are a significantly more forgiving target from a rock chip standpoint.

Ask any motorcyclist ... it's amazing how much even sand sized particles sting if following too close to the vehicle ahead.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (06-03-20)
Old 06-03-20, 05:35 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

My old baby. Damn that was a good car. I wonder where she is now.

Old 06-07-20, 10:25 AM
MarkGS2
2nd gear

Default TOWING - Travel Trailers

I’m looking to purchase a travel trailer. Most people I talk with advise limiting DRY weight to only about 4000 lbs max and GROSS weight to 5000 lbs max. That limits my options greatly. THE GX is rated to 6500. I really like a trailer with a dry weight of 5500 Lbs and plan to tow it at only 6200Lbs by loading it light. What can the GX realistically handle? Advise from seasoned towers would be VERY appreciated!
Old 06-07-20, 10:39 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Lot of towing info in this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...periences.html
The following users liked this post:
MarkGS2 (06-07-20)
Old 06-07-20, 12:30 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I agree with the 5000lb max. While the GX can handle more, you're going to be affected by wind, hills and speed with more weight. The trailer will create pulling and swaying on the vehicle. This is a typical quandary for towing campers. Trying to tow the max weight. The solution is either get a tow vehicle more suited to the trailer or get a trailer suited for the vehicle. The more traveling you do, the more important it is to not push the limits. Will a camper sales lot allow you to try towing a trailer similar to the weight you're hoping to tow? Maybe rent one? If you don't have a brake controller yet, you'll need that before you can test pull. How many people in your vehicle? That and other gear all reduce you capability quickly. It's exhausting to tow a too heavy trailer as you can feel the strain. Maybe you can get some more posts here but you did say that you got several opinions about trailer weight and they all were lower limits. Happy trails.
Old 06-10-20, 07:58 AM
meitzler
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With the GX460, did anyone test drive a travel trailer that was aerodynamic (airstream22' or 23') verses one that is boxy (most travel trailers around 20 to 23')? Did it make a difference? I notice most of the towing chat involves trailers other than travel trailers which gives me some concern in considering a travel trailer..
Old 06-10-20, 09:27 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Maybe a travel trailer forum is a better place to ask abut difference trailers and how easily they tow. You're bound to learn a lot. Your concern about aerodynamics is valid . I bet there's a lot more to consider, like the suspension of trailer. I know from personal experience that torsion suspensions tow much much better than leaf springs.
Old 06-11-20, 10:19 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I'll go ahead and put a tidbit of info in this thread regarding aftermarket airbag installation for a base model GX. I have a fair bit of rear end sag pulling a 3000lb travel trailer, making the steering vague and sometimes scary. I installed a set of Airlift 1000's (60809) in my stock height GX460. I watched a couple of videos where 4Runner folks showed how to install the airbags and complete the installation work without removing the coil springs. While they demonstrate it can be done, follow the instructions that have you remove the coil spring - it is so incredibly simple that there is no reason to put yourself through the misery of cutting the bumpers while installed on the truck, and cramming the airbag through the coil to get it to fit. The Airlift instructions suggest removing the panhard rod mount, which isn't necessary. Removing the lower shock bolt is really the only additional step necessary. I removed the lower shock bolt, allowed the axle to droop a bit further, and then put a bottle jack between the axle and the frame bump stop to flex the axle a bit more. At that point the coil is loose and can be removed. With the coil out, cutting the bumper and installing the airbag in the coil is a breeze (in my opinion).

Lower shock bolt is 72 ft lbs.

Quick Reply: Boat, Travel or Other Trailer Towing Experiences