GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Timing Cover Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 05:06 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

Good catch. Hang in there and keep us posted.
Old 04-06-20, 12:55 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

update: the dealer found that the upper radiator hose was leaking. I suspect that it may have been damaged during removal and installation of the water pump because there was no leak that high in the engine (above the water pump) prior to this issue. They had to order the hose and the work should be done tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (04-06-20)
Old 04-06-20, 01:05 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 743 Likes on 525 Posts

Make sure they replace the clamps also with fresh OEM clamps. Glad it was nothing major....
Old 05-21-20, 05:06 PM
shaw22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX 460 2015 70k miles - Timing cover beginning to leak

Greetings from Chicago,
I am in the process of buying my third lexus from a private party. Did a pre purchase inspection and the inspection report from dealer (see attached) says
"Cover, Front - Engine Timing - Replace. Timing cover beginning to leak cost $3970"
The dealer said, oil is not dripping, but can see the seals soaked/wet.
I don't want to get stuck with a repair bill of $3970. In your opinion, can I put another 100,000 miles on it before the timing cover really start to leak and needs replacement ?

Thanks
Shaw

Old 05-21-20, 06:58 PM
tharijay
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Same issue was noticed at my last oil change, seems like it is not uncommon on GXs.
I didn't have any oil dripping on my garage floor, so I suspect it was only a very small leak.
My GX is currently at the Dealer getting this fixed under the 72mo/7ok power-train warranty.
I assume yours has exceeded the 70k miles then? I was only a few months away from exceeding the 72mo, phew...
nuclearn8 (05-21-20)
Old 05-21-20, 08:27 PM
shaw22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tharijay
Same issue was noticed at my last oil change, seems like it is not uncommon on GXs.
I didn't have any oil dripping on my garage floor, so I suspect it was only a very small leak.
My GX is currently at the Dealer getting this fixed under the 72mo/7ok power-train warranty.
I assume yours has exceeded the 70k miles then? I was only a few months away from exceeding the 72mo, phew...
Unfortunately mine has 76k miles and out of warranty. Do you know if it can continue running for a long time with this small leak?
Old 05-21-20, 08:42 PM
tharijay
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shaw22
Unfortunately mine has 76k miles and out of warranty. Do you know if it can continue running for a long time with this small leak?
Without any data to back it up, my gut says it’s prob fine if you keep a close eye on oil levels. But for how long? Who knows, So many variables there.
Can’t you use this finding to negotiate price down? If this quote is from a lexus dealership it might be worthwhile to get a quote from toyota or a independant mechanic specializing in toyotas.
Old 05-21-20, 09:01 PM
shaw22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Tharijay, I will try to negotiate the price with the seller.
Old 05-21-20, 09:02 PM
shaw22
Driver School Candidate

Were you changing the oil yourself when you noticed the leak?
Old 05-22-20, 06:22 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

worth reading this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...il-leak-6.html

I would not get it repaired at that shop or at the very least get competing quotes... everything seems way overpriced on the quote (perhaps that's the point...)
#A and C are just the engine and cabin air filters, right?... you could buy them much cheaper and put them in yourself.
#B the price for the timing cover leak repair seems at the extreme high end... I added up the price of all the parts on my warranty repair order and they came to around $1500, add labor (assume 16 hours at 100/hr) and at max you should be about $3200 for the this repair.
#E/F if you buy your tires someplace I've never seen them charge extra to mount and balance them, plus those are some expensive tires... for 4 of them, that's $300/tire!!
#H you can do 4 drain and fills yourself for that price. (price seems high for what is likely 1 drain and fill) but agree it should be done.
#I is a joke... buy a bottle of fuel system cleaner and put it in the gas tank
#J, The coolant change should be included as part of the timing cover line item (since the radiator needs to come off and coolant drained to properly perform the timing cover leak), there should be no extra charge for this.
#K and L you can do yourself for $100 in parts, it's honest so simple

Surprise the Transfer Case wasn't listed on the quote, no driveshaft lubrication either?, no engine oil change quoted (perhaps this is part of the timing cover repair, which begs the question why is the coolant separated out?), no power steering fluid service?
brakes must be in good shape as well....
I'd get new wiper blades too if they're the original and change the keyfob batteries

what's the undercarriage rust situation look like? see you're in IL....
DallasDave (05-22-20)
Old 05-22-20, 08:33 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Do your own air fitlers and save the crazy labor charge.

Forget all the "dealer recommended" service. With the exception of the brake system flush, according to the LEXUS Scheduled Maintenance Guide none of that is needed (unless you drive it regularly in the desert or scale mountains/trails or maybe pull a trailer).

We put tires on our GX about two years ago. Michelin Defender LTX. The local NTB was having a "buy two get two free" if you purchased their Value Install Package which included mounting/balancing AND a four wheel alignment. My "walk out the door" price with tax was $620.00 and I think I have the best set of tires for the GX.

If it is the original battery, have it replaced. It is due anyway and you certainly do not want to be stranded. The price quoted isn't too bad depending on the specifications of the new unit. We had a new battery installed in our 2015 GX in late 2018 and paid $162.00.
Old 05-22-20, 08:36 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

At 70k miles, you should be getting pretty close to needing new brakes. It is surprising that this wasn't mentioned in the Dealer quote. Maybe your GX has already had new brakes installed, if not I'd bet you will need them really soon.

BTW, I certainly would NOT use the dealer for this item either.
Old 05-22-20, 10:55 AM
shaw22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
worth reading this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...il-leak-6.html

I would not get it repaired at that shop or at the very least get competing quotes... everything seems way overpriced on the quote (perhaps that's the point...)
#A and C are just the engine and cabin air filters, right?... you could buy them much cheaper and put them in yourself.
#B the price for the timing cover leak repair seems at the extreme high end... I added up the price of all the parts on my warranty repair order and they came to around $1500, add labor (assume 16 hours at 100/hr) and at max you should be about $3200 for the this repair.
#E/F if you buy your tires someplace I've never seen them charge extra to mount and balance them, plus those are some expensive tires... for 4 of them, that's $300/tire!!
#H you can do 4 drain and fills yourself for that price. (price seems high for what is likely 1 drain and fill) but agree it should be done.
#I is a joke... buy a bottle of fuel system cleaner and put it in the gas tank
#J, The coolant change should be included as part of the timing cover line item (since the radiator needs to come off and coolant drained to properly perform the timing cover leak), there should be no extra charge for this.
#K and L you can do yourself for $100 in parts, it's honest so simple

Surprise the Transfer Case wasn't listed on the quote, no driveshaft lubrication either?, no engine oil change quoted (perhaps this is part of the timing cover repair, which begs the question why is the coolant separated out?), no power steering fluid service?
brakes must be in good shape as well....
I'd get new wiper blades too if they're the original and change the keyfob batteries

what's the undercarriage rust situation look like? see you're in IL....
Thanks for the detailed reply. The undercarriage is rust free
Old 05-22-20, 01:01 PM
10acimport
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never trust the dealer for anything other than warranty and recall.
Find a local mechanic you trust
80 percent of a dealers profit comes from their service department.
DallasDave (05-22-20)
Old 05-22-20, 07:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Indy, DIY, dealer at the end of the day does it really matter? PPI came back with issues that exists regardless, if the seller covers the cost to repair at the Lexus dealership, or lowers the price accordingly then fine and good. If not, their quite more GXes on the road that I assume are available, some with the powertrain warranty that may pay to fix on Lexus's own dime (I say may because TMC is tightening their criteria for oil leaks these days).

Quick Reply: Timing Cover Oil Leak