GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Timing Cover Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-20, 10:15 PM
shaw22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You coolsaber,
GX 460 2015 70k miles - 2nd owner - they have accepted my offer of $22500. The rear spoiler needs replacement - that is a $1000. So in effect I am getting the truck for $21500. The seller is not willing to reduce on account of this timing cover leak, which we found out after pre purchase inspection at the dealer ($165). So I have to figure out whether to walk away from the deal or take the risk and buy/run without fixing the leak?

Thoughts?
Old 05-23-20, 06:40 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

Only you can decide how to spend your money. The rest is someone else's opinion on a weap or leak we haven't seen... have you seen the leak? Have pictures of it from the inspector? Does it bother you?
My guess is there are quite a few GXs on the road which have this condition... Lexus put out a TSB on it a few months ago, to clean it up first and then if it comes back to fix it under warranty (which tells me there have been a fair amount of warranty claim attempts for this item, some questionable).
I noticed it on mine in March and had it fixed because I was under warranty... had I not been under warranty, while it would have annoyed me, I wouldnt have fixed it and just cleaned it up and monitored it religiously as well as the oil level in between changes.

Again, only you can decide and assess the situation, 20k is a good chunk of money to spend on anything...
Old 05-23-20, 08:48 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by shaw22
Thank You coolsaber,
GX 460 2015 70k miles - 2nd owner - they have accepted my offer of $22500. The rear spoiler needs replacement - that is a $1000. So in effect I am getting the truck for $21500. The seller is not willing to reduce on account of this timing cover leak, which we found out after pre purchase inspection at the dealer ($165). So I have to figure out whether to walk away from the deal or take the risk and buy/run without fixing the leak?

Thoughts?
No ones gonna convince you to do anything. It all boils down to the amount of risk you can undertake and whether this truly is the "one and only GX". You have all the facts from the PPI and of course where ever the rear spoiler was issue was discovered.
Old 05-24-20, 01:13 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Bump for @shaw22 also @Acrad can you link the TSB within to that sticky.. maybe ,missed it
Old 05-24-20, 03:20 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Found it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10771426

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...sb-0002-20.pdf

Last edited by Acrad; 05-24-20 at 03:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (05-24-20)
Old 05-24-20, 04:12 PM
shaw22
Driver School Candidate

Thank You Everyone for your guidance!
Old 06-03-20, 12:16 PM
cvvautier
Driver School Candidate

Default 2012 GX 460 Leaking Timing Cover Warranty approved!

Hello,

Just wanted to give everyone some information I bought my GX from Priority about a month and half ago and had my local Lexus dealership do a thorough inspection on it. They found a leaking timing cover they quoted me 2500 to remove and replace all gaskets. I had them submit the claim through my warranty provider with pictures and it got approved same day! Looks like those warranty’s pay off glad I purchased it with one. I waited about a month before submitting the claim to ensure my warranty provider wouldn’t try and say this was a problem with the vehicle before it was purchased. Let me know if you have had any similar stories!
Old 06-05-20, 10:06 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by cvvautier
Hello,

Just wanted to give everyone some information I bought my GX from Priority about a month and half ago and had my local Lexus dealership do a thorough inspection on it. They found a leaking timing cover they quoted me 2500 to remove and replace all gaskets. I had them submit the claim through my warranty provider with pictures and it got approved same day! Looks like those warranty’s pay off glad I purchased it with one. I waited about a month before submitting the claim to ensure my warranty provider wouldn’t try and say this was a problem with the vehicle before it was purchased. Let me know if you have had any similar stories!
Congrats! Whose the warranty provider and the plan name for completeness sake?
Old 06-11-20, 10:23 AM
Huskers
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Update on my leak. I got the engine bay cleaned and put about 500 miles on and went back. Very minimal leak and no need to fix.

However another leak was coming from power steering line (although also not a bid deal). The shop said it looks like the previous owner put an aftermarket cooler on the power steering line and it was leaking. They didn't think it needed fixing and they didn't even want to mess with it. I am at the office and should have grabbed a photo of it, but it sits just in front of the radiator and looks like a cooling cylinder with the power steering line coming in and going out of it. I have never heard of anyone doing this? anyone else put one on? and why? (I know it helps cool the fluid, but I have never heard of that being an issue?). thanks
Old 06-11-20, 12:54 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Originally Posted by Huskers
Update on my leak. I got the engine bay cleaned and put about 500 miles on and went back. Very minimal leak and no need to fix.

However another leak was coming from power steering line (although also not a bid deal). The shop said it looks like the previous owner put an aftermarket cooler on the power steering line and it was leaking. They didn't think it needed fixing and they didn't even want to mess with it. I am at the office and should have grabbed a photo of it, but it sits just in front of the radiator and looks like a cooling cylinder with the power steering line coming in and going out of it. I have never heard of anyone doing this? anyone else put one on? and why? (I know it helps cool the fluid, but I have never heard of that being an issue?). thanks
good to hear on timing cover leak... still good idea to keep an eye on it long term for piece of mind.

The oem steering fluid cooler is a tube.... there are aftermarket ones for sale for the 4runner/GX470 I considered but opted not to because of the pressures the PS system experiences while in use: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...il-to-use.html
If you have a PS leak, I'd be concerned because the pressure this systems sees, compared to the timing cover (low pressure area)... a small leak could turn in to a huge leak quickly with pressure in the low 1000 psi range
The following users liked this post:
Huskers (06-11-20)
Old 06-11-20, 08:35 PM
tharijay
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Just got mine back after warranty repair. Total cost charged to factory warranty for "TIME-GEAR CVR ASY(T-CHN CVR) RESEALED" was $1782.
$404 in parts and $1378 for labor.
About 40 parts replaced, most of them gaskets, seals and O rings.
Old 06-12-20, 08:29 AM
Huskers
Driver

that seems really cheap? I was getting quotes for closer to 5K.
Old 06-12-20, 10:59 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

5k sounds like rip off pricing. Labor rates very a lot depending on what area of the country you live in. Parts seem rather high in this RepairPal estimation.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-12-20 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-12-20, 11:19 AM
Huskers
Driver

I am in Denver, but dang that is a huge difference. Even the independent shops were about the same as the dealer. They said labor was huge as whole engine has to be dropped to get to it.
Old 06-12-20, 12:01 PM
tharijay
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe mine included discounted pricing since I wasn't paying for it, Lexus was.
I'm in prob one of the markets with highest labor prices, Los Angeles.
They said the engine dropped and everything was rebuilt. Repair includes a 1 year warranty.

Last edited by tharijay; 06-12-20 at 12:19 PM. Reason: add pics

Quick Reply: Timing Cover Oil Leak