GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Timing Cover Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 01:20 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,648 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I wonder if I am starting one of these leaks. Powertrain warranty expires in early May so will likely take in within the next two weeks. Even if they charge me a diagnostic I want to get on record in case it become worse after warranty expires so it will at least be on record in case I need to deal with it in the future.

I've noticed a tiny bit of rubber burn smell that comes and goes.

Drive belt looks fine and I see no leaks from the back to front. I haven't fully scoped rear of engine but did find what could be the issue around the AC compressor. It might just be the front area of valve cover but not sure. The one damp area I found could easily hit the header if drop flicked off after growing to a certain size.

I guess synthetic oil smells like this on exhaust and gives off different smell than what dino smell likes when burned.

Last edited by Acrad; 02-19-22 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 06:49 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

I didn’t notice a smell before when Lexus informed me of this but I now smell it when I run the the truck hard in S-shift and stop. I occasionally smell the brakes with aggressive driving so maybe no reason for concern. With pushing the GX or any car hard with higher RPMs I assume this would cause any engine leaks to push out more fluid due to heat and stress.
Old 03-17-18, 08:35 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
Did you ask them to show you or snap a picture of the area they claim is leaking? I would take a look first and contact Lexus to consider it under warranty.

If you are a DIY person you may be able to seal the leak using some liquid gasket without taking it apart by applying a thin layer onto the surface and let it set. It depends on where and how much it leaks.
Obviously not the factory recommended method but I see a surprising number of people successful with this method in online searches. It would seem to work better in low pressure areas like the Timing Cover area which I think is low pressure.

Thorough cleanup of existing oil would be important with some brake cleaner.

https://www.permatex.com/products/ad...t-leak-repair/

"A sprayable sealer that forms a durable rubber barrier that stop leaks in minutes. The wicking action seals hard-to-reach leaks without the need for disassembling or removing parts. Designed specifically to target low pressure leaks in hoses, oil pans, differentials, transmission pans, fluid reservoirs as well as plastic, PVC and metal pipes, their connections and much more!. Eliminates the need for liquid additive sealers that can swell and foul internal seals. Resists common shop fluids. Note: In many cases, more than one coat will be needed to solve the problem. "

Suggested Applications: Engine and transmission leaks, hoses, oil pans, differentials, transmission pans, cooling systems, thermostats, water pumps, valve covers, tubing connections, electrical harness connectors, plastics, and PVC.

Old 03-17-18, 03:40 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

With 57 days left on my Lexus powertrain warranty I've made an appointment this week to address issue. I need to quickly check spark plugs this week to make sure no leaks in that area as well. I let service manage know I was coming in. He promised me a top off on the fuel tank after the airbag recall feedback I gave him.
Old 03-18-18, 01:45 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I haven't dropped the front skid to see if more apparent underneath but if one is curious if they have this leak they could probably use a flashlight and a flexible shaft mirror.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch...aft-97217.html

Last edited by Acrad; 02-19-22 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-18-18, 02:32 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Same here with smell being my only problem with this. No leaks visible in my garage but the smell makes me feel like I am driving a clunker.
Old 03-18-18, 02:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tecman
Same here with smell being my only problem with this. No leaks visible in my garage but the smell makes me feel like I am driving a clunker.
You might want to see if you can utilize some extra automotive heat shield type material to divert oil drops away from where it is hitting the exhaust header.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-19-18, 02:39 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

For looking for leaks I guess this camera isn't that good after all. It makes engine dirt look oily, glossy and wet and everything is just dry dirt. I spent some time looking at this today and I can't see any leaks. I believe the smell is from tar and some grease off the drive shaft that looks like it was flicked onto exhaust. There is still some of it down there on the catalytic converters. Relieved but seemingly worked myself up for nothing. I'm good with that... wasn't looking forward to having someone tear into the engine.
Old 06-05-18, 06:27 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Just to add: I was also told at my 70k maintenance that my timing cover had a slight leak that I should monitor. Today, while in for the 75k maintenance, oil change, and air bag replacement I was told that the leak needed to be fixed and quoted $2,400 for the repair, including a serpentine belt and water pump replacement.

I will probably, at the very least, get a second quote. I'm not sure if the repair is critical but since I'm having an independent shop replace my tires at some point soon I may ask them to check it out as well. If it was under $1k I'd probably just do it but at $2,400 I want to make sure it's really necessary.
Old 06-05-18, 06:43 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Bummer... Are leaking gaskets covered under warranty?
Old 06-05-18, 06:51 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by User21c
Bummer... Are leaking gaskets covered under warranty?
The timing cover would be covered under the power train warranty but my car was 5-6 months outside of the warranty when it was first noted by the dealer last year.
Old 06-05-18, 06:56 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Funny how they always note these things just as warranty lapses...

they should cut you a break, just for good will...
of course my dealer wouldn’t either....

Last edited by User21c; 06-05-18 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 03:25 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Can you visibly see any oil leaking? It might be just a minor weep at this point.

Originally Posted by bd5400
Just to add: I was also told at my 70k maintenance that my timing cover had a slight leak that I should monitor. Today, while in for the 75k maintenance, oil change, and air bag replacement I was told that the leak needed to be fixed and quoted $2,400 for the repair, including a serpentine belt and water pump replacement.

I will probably, at the very least, get a second quote. I'm not sure if the repair is critical but since I'm having an independent shop replace my tires at some point soon I may ask them to check it out as well. If it was under $1k I'd probably just do it but at $2,400 I want to make sure it's really necessary.
Old 06-08-18, 05:43 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Sorry for the late update on this. Either the GX is self healing or I had some oil spilt on the engine when I had it in the shop. The smell went away after my post so alll is good.
Old 06-09-18, 02:29 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

What I noticed on mine were some hasty oil changes with spills that were done by previous owner that ended up causing me to think there were some leaks in the top driver side cam valley as well as along the front area by AC compressor. Spilled oil seemed to funnel down through that area and then along the side which made me think there was valve or cam tower leak.

Sorry for the late update on this. Either the GX is self healing or I had some oil spilt on the engine when I had it in the shop. The smell went away after my post so alll is good.

Quick Reply: Timing Cover Oil Leak