tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Still no visible leaks or smell here.
Old 11-17-19, 02:50 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

What’s going on with this 1UR engine? $2000 for valley plate coolant leak and $2600 for timing cover leak!
Old 11-17-19, 02:58 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the 1UR... these "leaks" are rare and when they are discovered, usually by the dealership when the vehicle is in there for something else, it feels a lot like the service department trying to generate more revenue. Unless your engine is leaking oil on your garage floor or you need to add oil between oil changes the engine is fine.
The following users liked this post:
Craigyyy (01-08-20)
Old 11-17-19, 03:06 PM
NTH
Instructor

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
There's nothing wrong with the 1UR... these "leaks" are rare and when they are discovered, usually by the dealership when the vehicle is in there for something else, it feels a lot like the service department trying to generate more revenue. Unless your engine is leaking oil on your garage floor or you need to add oil between oil changes the engine is fine.
What’s your thoughts on the valley plate leak? Is this an urgent repair when you discover coolant running down the tranny?
Old 11-17-19, 04:02 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by NTH
What’s your thoughts on the valley plate leak? Is this an urgent repair when you discover coolant running down the tranny?
Depends how bad it is... I'm not a reactionary decision maker... in other words... is the coolant level ok? Is it dripping and an actual leak or weeping?...
The reality is all these items will eventually need to be repaired probably but none of them are urgent or a crisis which require a decision within a year 99% of the time.... to each their own.
The best insurance is to perform a thorough undercarriage inspection with every oil change... is it getting worse or better or no change.
Old 11-18-19, 06:48 AM
NTH
Instructor

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Depends how bad it is... I'm not a reactionary decision maker... in other words... is the coolant level ok? Is it dripping and an actual leak or weeping?...
The reality is all these items will eventually need to be repaired probably but none of them are urgent or a crisis which require a decision within a year 99% of the time.... to each their own.
The best insurance is to perform a thorough undercarriage inspection with every oil change... is it getting worse or better or no change.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.
Old 11-18-19, 02:50 PM
havatar88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update

So I had the timing cover replaced under LCertified at about 95K. The dealer said everything was good to go and the problem was fixed. It took about a week for them to do it which i'm sure has to do with scheduling. The said they dropped the motor (10 hours of labor) out of the car to do the change. I had my car for 2 days and noticed that there was coolant leaking. I took it back and they said that the heat exchanger in the valley was leaking (under warranty). Since then (fingers crossed) its been perfect. I don't know the total cost of either job since my bill just has warranty next to the price. I would say that if you are going to fix the timing cover leak wait till you have too do it. I would also say that its a good time to save on labor to have other things done while the motor is out. I should have had spark plugs done but I wasn't thinking. A few positives is my 100k service is now just an oil change since the coolant has been replaced (2x's). I also had the transmission serviced since this work was being done. It saved labor and the job came in he area of $250. It is worth it to me because NO fluid is "lifetime". At 100K I will have my plugs, front /rear/central dif fluid changed. I think this is about $450 and rear brakes. I change my oil every 5K (the 5k I do and then the 10K I have the dealer do). Is it worth saving some money doing things yourself- yes. However my vehicle is still valued at $26k and having service records from my dealer helps with the value. No one wants to buy a vehicle worked on by you. They want peace of mind. I was told it adds about 2-4k in value to the vehicle with the records (I would agree but IDK if this is true). Also note that if $450 is a deal breaker for you you are driving the wrong car/brand. Peace of mind is worth more to me then the "savings."

One thing I would like to add is the front skid plate on my GX would not go back on. Found out that the J frame where they bolt into has 2 small nuts tack welded onto. They rusted off and they were replaced under warranty ($400 job). I will say that getting them replaced was listed as "one time good faith warranty." Its all about how you talk to the dealer the reputation you have with them. They can write anything up as warranty.... well almost anything.
Since the winter is coming around I put a new set of tires on my car in stock size (Falken Wildpeak AT3W). Once a new set of tires is needed I may get a New GX but only time will tell. Any questions feel free to contact me.
Old 01-07-20, 10:09 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 170 Likes on 112 Posts

Before finding this thread I was having trouble figuring out where this leak was coming from. Crawling under the vehicle it appeared to be coming from the oil filter housing. The leak is definitely from the driver side timing cover. The dealer didn't mention the leak last oil change. I'll do the next oil change myself and might try sealing it from the outside.
Old 01-08-20, 02:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Originally Posted by pmesfun
Before finding this thread I was having trouble figuring out where this leak was coming from. Crawling under the vehicle it appeared to be coming from the oil filter housing. The leak is definitely from the driver side timing cover. The dealer didn't mention the leak last oil change. I'll do the next oil change myself and might try sealing it from the outside.
That Permatex would be worth a shot.

Post #22
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10144938
pmesfun (01-18-20)
Old 01-17-20, 12:09 PM
BPGX460
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Lots of visible oil around oil filter

Top down view of driver side

Looks like I have a timing cover leak 😢..lots of oil blown over bottom of engine and hoses...but no oil on skid plate or garage floor.
Old 01-17-20, 03:03 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

How many miles on your GX?

Is this the first time you have looked down there or did this show since last inspection?

Originally Posted by BPGX460
Lots of visible oil around oil filter

Top down view of driver side

Looks like I have a timing cover leak 😢..lots of oil blown over bottom of engine and hoses...but no oil on skid plate or garage floor.
Old 01-17-20, 05:27 PM
BPGX460
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

95000 miles today when i did my oil change...last time I checked was 85000...dont remember seeing it "wet" with oil.
Old 01-17-20, 06:11 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Looks like it could be coming from those area mentioned in my earlier post.

BPGX460 (09-30-20)
Old 01-23-20, 02:37 PM
Huskers
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the dealer today to get secondary air intake done, ZPC and some routine work...they found this dreaded timing cover leak. They said it looks severe and needs done...$3,500. They said the whole engine has to be dropped to get to it.

I am 2012 with 66,000 miles. Anyone have luck with Lexus Corporate this far out? Anyone with recommendation of independent dealer in South Denver?

I see some folks ignore it...what is the down side ? just oil leakage?

I will see if i can upload the video

thanks
Old 01-23-20, 02:40 PM
Huskers
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Video

See if this video works

can't get video to upload. seems like a moderate leak though

Last edited by Huskers; 01-23-20 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Video not uploaded

Quick Reply: Timing Cover Oil Leak